Sell me on/sway me from the iPad.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Poho, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    Entering my fourth and final year of university doing an honors in philosophy. Normally I'm not down with iPad, given that I can already do everything it does with my iPhone and MacBook. However, it was brought to my attention that it would be extremely handy as a research assistant for all my papers; namely my honors thesis. Having all of my PDF articles on a tablet would be very very handy, especially for my 60 page honors thesis. It would also be very handy for travel, as my girlfriend and I travel a lot, be it by plane or car. However, I can't imagine using it for much else given my current tech.

So yes, a tablet would be very handy, and if I were to get one it would be an iPad because of my familiarity with Apple products and their general reliability and ease of use. But I just can't justify spending that much money on something that I don't need, but rather will make my life easier for the next nine months.

However! I have the opportunity to get a 1st gen iPad for 419.99 with a three year care plan half off if I want it.

What do you guys think?

2. Poho

News Credits:
    Side note, money is not an issue. And I need to say honors thesis one more time. Honors thesis.

3. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    IDK. I just don't' see any use for tablets.
    I imagine that 70% of the time you're travelling with the iPad you'll also have your MacBook anyway.

4. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

If money's not an issue then hell yeah get that mofo. Even if you don't truly need it, you'll have fun messing with it.

Give it a 30 day trial & keep the receipt just in case it's not up to par.
    Everyone I know that has one does'nt have any regrets.

5. Triple Melter

Triple Melter come on fhqwhgads

Grab one for us too while you're at it.

6. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
  7. Poho

News Credits:
    True, but again, it's main purpose would specifically be making paper-writing and research much easier.

8. autobotguy

autobotguy Well-Known Member

Get an Asus Transformer.
    Honeycomb powah!!! ^_^

9. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    As much as I like Apple, I would be inclined to opt for an Android tablet, possibly the new Toshiba one. Similar price point, Android gives you more flexibility, and Flash support. And yes, maybe Flash SHOULD be retired... but a good chunk of the web still uses it, so those sites are effectively useless to an iProduct.

10. Kuma Style

Kuma Style On Military Leave TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    I'm not swainyg you away from a damned thing. I've always been an Android user, but after getting/jailbreaking an Ipod last week, I'm so obsessed that I'm picking up my first Ipad Friday jsut to keep at work!

11. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  12. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    For what you want it for, I would say go for it.

I have tons of work related articles on PDF on mine. Way easier to sit and read through on a tablet than dragging the laptop around. I've even seen people using them to take notes at courses I have attended. The guys who do this swear by it. Travel is way easier with a tablet.

Otherwise I use mine for basic email and web surfing. I have no regrets with the one I got.

13. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    this, that machine is a beast. And if your a techie you can root it and open up a world of magic and wonder.

14. chaddi_90

chaddi_90 Prime

News Credits:
    I am also considering buying a tablet but I it will be an android tablet(hopefully a Galaxy tab 10.1") because the ui rocks imo and it's more customizable than a ios device. My brother has a ipad 2 which he bought when it came out, the funny thing is that he didn't consider any other tablets, he just bought it and now some months later he rarely uses it. If I were you I would do a quick research of the tablets and compare it to others before making a decision.

15. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

I'm posting from a 64 GB iPad (1st Gen) right now, before school, and really, this time could be much better spent doing my chemistry report. That's basically the most useful thing the iPad has going for it: you can surf the web on it.

In my opinion, after using this thing for 8 months now, it's go little to no educational value. I've not yet seen an app that I have had any use for, which did stuff I couldn't do on a computer. The closest I've come to finding an education app that also useful is Adobe Ideas, which allows many people to literally draw ideas. I could do that with pens and paper.

You have an iPhone and a MacBook. Especially with OS X Lion bringing the graphical interface of MacBooks and iPads closer together (closer, not quite, but some of the icons are starting to use the rounded squares iOS uses), there is no use for an iPad whatsoever in your case. If you need portability, get an Air, lol. The iPad is, at best, something to use to show off, impress your friends and maybe surf the net while you really should be listening to your lecturer/professor. Don't get one. The iPhone/iPod Touch can be a distraction in classes/tutorials, the iPad is just a bigger distraction.

16. Kuma Style

Kuma Style On Military Leave TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    I'm not gonna lie... I spent 2 hours od my morning at work yesterday watching planet of the apes and zoning out on my Ipod, so I could see how treadshot's assesment would be on point...

17. Poho

News Credits:
    Good arguments for and against. I remain uncertain. It would be so handy! But I dint need it...

18. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't turn my Laptop on as often as I used to since I got the ipad. There are things that you obviously need your computer for, but I didn't realize how few of them there were until I got this.

It doesn't need to boot up, it has a huge screen, and it's pretty powerful, all things considered. I was on the badnwagon of calling it a large iphone until I got one, and now I can't imagine life without it. Use it for gaming, HD movies (buy episodes of Prime on it, and plug it to my TV and watch them), check email, facebook, TFW. Edit video. We shot a short movie earlier this Summer and my friend used his as a clapboard to sync audio and video, and it would send their preferred cuts to me in the editing room along with the attached audio. I read kindle on it, read comics on it ($1.99 for paperless Transformer comics vs. 3-4 bucks is no competition), Read EGM's new digital magazine that has videos and music from games in addition to the old magazine feel. And now that Apple allows all of your purchases to exist in the cloud, I no longer have to worry about losing my crap, or accidently deleting an episode of Prime and losing it for ever. Everything is tied to my account now, and I can download HD or SD versions wherever I have Wifi (this applies to Apps as well. I buy my movie tickets on it. When we were buying our house, I kept all my paperwork on the pad in ibooks and had easy access to it whenever I needed to refer to something without needing to find it or boot up my laptop. It's size makes it easier to read huge documents without the limitations of a tiny phone.

And if you happen to have Time Warner, it serves as a separate TV if you're using the Wifi from your own home. Great for continuing a TV show if you have to go to the shitter.

It doesn't have everything I wish it had, but it had less when I bought it, and over the last 5 months, some of the things I wished for have come to fruition.

And ask Smasher if I'm an Apple fanboy. I hate their arrogance and attitude, but I can't deny a good product.

Ultimately, it's a middle ground between a laptop and your phone, but it leans more towards competing with the former, and I'm pretty sure one day it might, what with keyboard and mouse peripherals.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  19. chaddi_90

chaddi_90 Prime

News Credits:
    you could check out the asus eee transformers with a keyboard dockingstation or the acer iconia which also has a keyboard dockingstation. The asus looks just like a laptop when you connect the docking station and adds 8 hours of battery life to the tablet. I usually go to youtube and watch review of the thing I am considering to buy.
    I am somewhat of a apple basher but I wouldn't say anything bad about a product without testing them out and I have tested the Ipad 2(my brother owns one). It's good in it's own way but I think it lacks some things like a good tablet optimized interface and it could have had a good writing software because then you could have used it with school related stuff.

20. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pages supports Word Export and has some elements from Pagemaker and other desk top publishing software. I used it to write a script recently.