Sell me on Oblivion

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Ra88, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Well, I've been looking around a bit, and I've noticed that there's a GOTY edition coming out in two weeks or so. What's that all about, and should I get the regular, cheap game or that?

2. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It’s the game with the Shivering Isles and Knights of the Nine expansion packs. With out that stuff the game is something like 100 hours or so to do everything. If you where going to get that stuff any way it might be worth it, but if not I would just get it as cheep as possible and download the extra stuff later if you’re really into it.

3. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Well, I just got it (had to drive all over town- GRRRRR) and I'm going to play it in a bit. Wonder if it's really as good as you guys say. :) 

4. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    No way!?! I have to check that out. "I am Jack's medieval punching-bag"

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I didnt know about that either. Guess Im playing Oblivion tonight

6. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

DUDE! Dont overlook Splinter Cell because it's short! That game is a challenge with multiple endings, and challenges your morals (at least for me, I'm a goody goody too shoues).

*cough* Anywho....

About Oblivion. The game is controlled a bit more "actionish". You swing you sword at a dude, it'll hit him, but the higher the skill goes the more damage you do and you unlock these sort of "special attacks". You have a block button to use your sword or shield to parry attacks. The world does lvl up along with you, which I'm one of the few that think its a good thing, I dont like the whole "whaaa, this guy is too hard, I'll just lvl up". No strategy in that.

The story isn't bad. I like to think of it like a 5th Element sort of thing, you're the guy who is saving the hero.

In terms of graphics, I have the PC version, so I don't know for sure what it's like on the 360, but the PC graphics are nice, maybe everything is a bit shiney and glowy though.

I appreciate the adventure the world brings, each town as a thing going on and each guild has a story of their own. The fighters guild reminds of almost like a mafia turf war story.

7. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Well, got out of the dungeons, didn't have time to do anything else. But WOW. My jaw dropped when I first stepped into the light. This is such a small part of the world, and just that is incredibly beautiful. VERY nice.

I'm having an odd glitch, though. Everytime I open something (inventory, pause screen) it hangs for a few seconds. Is something wrong with my 360, or is it a known issue?

8. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Getting out of the dungeon was the most boring part from me. That world is impressive when you first see it though.

9. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Oblivion is very interesting, I didn't get very far before becoming bored, however, I kinda found all that freedom a little overwhelming and therfore detrimental to my overall experience.

Doesn't mean it's not good, it is, but... just not my bag. Not enough guns.

10. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    So how do you think Fallout 3 will fair Twist?

11. CompuGlobal HyperMegatron

CompuGlobal HyperMegatron Nobody summons Megatron

I loved Oblivion. So much so that I made characters that were built to specifically become the guildleader of the various guilds, before I made my "master" character and became the master of all the guilds, and beat the main quest.

Now I never ever play the game, my girlfriend still loves it though. I want to get Shivering Isles, but I have next to no desire to pick it up again.

12. McBradders

From what I've read it's supposed to be somewhat tighter in focus than Oblivion, so I'm looking forward to it for that reason alone, but also what they're up to with the combat sounds -really- intriguing.

I hope there's a demo before it goes live.

13. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    The bits of info I have read have me intrigued for sure. Especially the way the "training" part of the game is rumored to be presented.

14. McBradders

Also, it has guns and is set in the future. We're safe from horse armour (which I bought) :eek: 

15. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Horse armor...? Wasn't that the armor so many people complained about because it was useless and way to expensive?

16. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ya, it was basically like $5 to pimp your ride.

17. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Just a quick update.

Thank you thank you THANK YOU everyone who recommended me this game. I had to drive around town to get it (ONE game store out of the, what, 10 had it), it cost 40 euros (47 dollars I think) and encountered that frustrating loading bug, but now that everything been's fixed, I can heartily say that it is worth every single penny. Definately an amazing game, and if I don't watch myself I'll get addicted to it.

Once again: thanks, all of you. :D 

18. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax Macrodata Refinement - SVR'D Access

News Credits:

Was going to sell you on it, but you want it 360. It's the user made mods that make Oblivion, not the game itself.

For example, my character is using the Master Sword from Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time in his quest to defeat Mehrunes Dagon.

19. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Late to the thread, but I'm glad you are enjoying it.

That is a completely false statement. The difficulty in Oblivion scales to your character. Conceptually, one could could complete the main quest at level thee and all the Daedra and enemies would be level three as well. (Yes, I realize that is not actually possible. I am trying to illustrate a point.) This design allows for the open ended game play. There is no area of the map that the player can't go because it is too hazardous for his current level.

You may find yourself in trouble because you have to fight ghosts and you have no Magicka or silver, but you will never find a ghost that you just can't beat until you reach a higher level.

I like how they included the wide open gameplay of Morrowind, but include the right number of hints and map points for you to follow along on your assigned quest.

I played Morrowind for three weeks and literally had no idea what I was supposed to do to make the main game progress. I looked through a couple of guides and didn't see any way to follow them without restarting my game so I gave up.

While I love Oblivion, I can also poke fun at it.
    Here are some examples.

1. You kill one guard in a hotel room at 3:00 in the morning 2 mile outside of town, but the next guard you see wants to arrest you. How did he possibly know what you did? Did that guard send out a telepathic alarm to the other guards.
    2. Kvatch is burning to the ground! Daedra are everywhere! Go, save Brother Martin. Oh, okay. Just let me become head of the Mages Guild first, oh yeah, then I'll become head of the Fighter's Guild too. Three months later you go to Kvatch and find the fires are still burning and people talk about how the Daedra just suddenly appeared last night.
    3. Aside from that one chick in the Dark Brotherhood, there is not a single hot chick on the entire planet. Except for those lizard chicks who sound like Marge Simpson. They kind of do it for me.
    4. Somehow you can be the leader of the Fighter's Guild, Mages Guild, Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood, and the Champion of the Arena and still walk around towns without people noticing you. Save Kvatch however, and everyone knows your face -but only as you pass by.

All of this reminds me that I need to finsih the Thieve's Guild and main quests!

I have like until Monday night when Halo comes out to do it!

20. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    People recognize me for being the arena champion. But not the others.