Sell me on Oblivion

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Ra88, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    I need a new 360 game to keep me occupied until Mass Effect comes out (only 360 game I want to buy on release day), but I don't have enough cash for Overlord and I'm staying away from BioShock until those framerate issues are taken care of (the whole 'after a certain point in the game it will constantly stutter and gradually get worse' thing).

So I've set my eyes on a few budget games; Saints Row, Splinter Cell Double Agent and Oblivion. I haven't heard good things about Saints Row, SC:D A is supposed to be quite short, so that leaves Oblivion, which is supposedly a good RPG with good graphics, good battle system and a good VA cast. All good points, but I'm still iffy on a few bits.

1. The ridicolous ragdoll psychics, which even the giant bosses suffer from. Always a groan moment for me, especially when it's so blatantly obvious.
    2. I couldn't get into Morrowind. AT ALL. Basically, I found it too boring and vague.
    3. I heard that you can talk with others, but usually, this isn't done all that well, safe for the usual newer Bioware titles (KoToR, Jade Empire). So how well done is the social aspect?
    4. Is the story any good? EVERY RPG either falls or rises with that for me. If the story's good, then by Primus, no matter how much the gameplay sucks, I WILL finish it. So yeah, this is a huge one for me.

Convince me peeps!

2. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    I really didn't like Oblivion that much. Doesn't come anywhere near KoToR in my books.

So so storyline, bleh character models, lousy leveling system (game gets exponentially harder as you level up, so dungeons that were hard before are even HARDER later if you don't level up right), and lots of other small stuff I can't remember right now.

I heard the graphics are absolutely gorgeous, but since I had to run the Oldblivion mod on my com just to play it (which effectively makes it look as good as Quake 1), I didn't see it.

I thought Morrowind was better, actually. Especially after completely modding it out.

On that note, I think Oblivion would be best experienced on a PC, where one can mod the hell out of the game and get the most out of it.

This is just me of course.

P.S. - Patrick Stewart voices the Emperor, which is cool.

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There is a decent story to follow, but I have to admit my fun from it comes from exploring, finding a little town and going on a cool quest for one of its residents. One thing I did notice about these little quests is that they seem to be more interesting than the ones in Morrowind. Such as disproving that a murdered man was indeed a vampire. His wife swears that he wasn't but the vampire hunter that killed him had all this evidence, so you have to prove that he was wrong. There is just so much to do. I have never credited the Elder Scroll series for having the best animation, but as far as giving you something to get incredibly lost in, it succeeds where very few other do.

On a side note. I am looking forward to Mass Effect almost more than any other game (just don't have a new Xbox yet). One of the reasons I am looking forward to it is because I expect and hope for Oblivion in Space basically with Planets instead of vast lands. And space crafts instead of horses.

4. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ya, dead monsters get a bit floppy but it’s sort of fun to watch your victim fall down the side a tall mountain.

I didn’t play it so I can’t comment on the differences.

It’s very different then KoToR. Mostly it’s you pick a topic and the NPC talks about it. There is this deal where you spin this wheel thing to change how much and NPC likes you. That changes the sort of reactions you get.

The story is you typical save the world sort of thing. There are some interesting elements but nothing ground braking.

Oblivion is massive; you can play for weeks just wandering around. There are also load of sub-stories and side quests. I do recommend doing the main story first. I did all the side stories and what not before finishing the main story and some parts are crazy hard now. But all you need to do to get around that is get access to the magic guild and make invisibility items. Get that up to 100% and you can roam the game world free of hassle. The character models are good but no one in the game is attractive, but in a real life mid-evil sort of world do you really expect there to be hot ass super model women walking around?

I stopped playing months ago but killing time before Halo 3 I decided to go back and finish up the story.

But if you are still in doubt just rent it, that way if you can’t get into it you’re only out a few bucks.

5. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Like Buzzbeak and Windcharger said, the biggest thing I notice is the massive size of the game, the freedom and how beautiful the world is to walk around in. The character customization really allow you to make the character you want. Whether it is straight up warrior, mage or whatever and you can chose to play nice or just kill ever Mo-Fo that crosses your path. I finally got the bezerker spell and letting some bum go off on the guards and get killed is good times. :D 

6. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

my only real beef with Oblivion was how awesome the scenery looked, and how awful the character models were.

7. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Man, Oblivion has some seriously ugly ass chicks. :lol 

Last edited: Sep 15, 2007
  8. edicius

edicius I need a drink.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Played it a bit on PC. Couldn't really get into it as much as I would have liked. And I tried. I think the world of the game was just TOO open-ended for me.

9. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Thanks, everyone. It does sound like my kind of game, but I thought the same of Morrowind. :(  I'll think about it for a bit. And unfortunately, I can't rent it. Pirating and jerks not returning the games ruined renting games here forever in the N64 days. :mad: 

Oh, one more thing: Is there any variation between the subquests? Is it constantly the same, or are they all a bit more different then that?

10. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    1. Not as ridiculous as say... the Armada PS2 game. Its not bad.
    2. Good news, if you're like me and hated the aimless wandering of Morrowind with no clue on where you're supposed to go, then you might like Oblivion, because it points you in the direction of where you're supposed to go on the compass and instructions are nowhere near as vague. One good aspect of being developed as a flagship 360 game, I guess.
    3. Most NPCs share similar conversations (sometimes randomly determined depending on what NPC faction and region they belong to) when they don't have anything important/quest-related to say and each race shares one male and one female voice, bar the Famous Actor Voices.

Though the conversations tend to be bland, they're not like Morrowind's 'Vomit Paragraphs of Text Onto The Screen'.

4. It has a pretty good main quest story (mainly the actor performances sell it), but there's the guild quests have their own decent storylines, as does the Knights of the Nine plugin. The Shivering Isles has a great fun, sometimes disturbing game (owing to where its set), though it MUST BE PATCHED.

Generally most of the subquests are your normal dungeon crawls, or fetch this thing for somebody or kill off a bunch of monsters or rescue somebody, like most RPGs. Other times there are some very funny quests, off the wall ones or ones you don't quite expect.

One thing I liked was wandering around and admiring the scenery. Oblivion has a great engine and Cyrodiil is a beautiful game world. Climb a mountain and just look out at the world below. I've played the game for over a year now and I keep discovering new things, and sometimes weird, possibly random events occur.

11. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Play the PC version. The controls and the number of add-ons make it so much better.

12. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    FEAR has dropped to $30 at Target for the 360...there is your budget game choice. You will get no love for Oblivion out of me. It's just meh.

13. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I say get it because the controls are good, the customization is great, there is lots to do, the landscapes are beautifull, and the accompanying music is also very atmospheric. The great thing is that I was playing through it, and so was my roomate, and we bot really expereinced different things, since he went a thiefs root, and I went more of a noble warrior, but THEN i was infected with vampirism, and dnd't know I had it until i became permenant. You need to feed on people to look normal enough to walk around town without everyone screamin, and you become really powerfull and fast, but you get hurt by sunlight if you haven't fed in a while. SO, I went on a pretty large sidequest to cure it. I had the choice to stay a vampire or not. It's great having choices like that.

14. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=129

Don't bother, it's a dumbed down POS. And Mass Effect doesn't look like it'll be all that much better. Keep in mind though that I've become a cynical, bitter man over the past several years when it comes to supposed RPGs.

15. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    I hated Morrowind, but I really love this game. So deep, I have only scratched the surface. There is so much to do.

16. Fit For natalie

News Credits:
    *Clicks that link*

Wow, that's one of the NERDDDDDDDDDDiest reviews I've ever read. Some people take a past time way too seriously.

17. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Indeed, though there are some good points. The level system sounds both like a blessing and a curse, the 'you can only influence others rarely' thing bothers me and the 'populace rarely does anything special' thing bother me (but then again, that always did with me).

The rest is just whining and not accepting that it's getting increasingly harder to make a profit with ever rising production costs, which the diehard RPGers are no longer able to support properly.

18. Fit For natalie

News Credits:
    That review is the epitome of snobby niche gamers railing against their genre being made more accessible to the masses.

Wait, didn't he go on earlier about 'immersion' ? Wouldn't a magic noise indicator ruin the immersion? Obviously the lighter (ie, non-metal) armour you where will make less noise as you are in sneak mode.

Poor dumb RPG reviewer.

Oddly I found the game to have some weird and funny things that either only happened at certain times of the day or something random thrown in by the developers, like the nightime Fight Club out on the docks of Anvil that I only discovered recently, and another player on the Elder Scrolls wiki stumbled onto Hackdirt, only to find all the inhabitants killed.

What I find really funny is that he uses the Something Awful Radiant AI article to support his argument, not realizing that the writers of SA who wrote about Oblivion still love the game, they're just making fun of its shortcomings in an obviously humourous and purposesly over the top article.

Its not the best RPG in the world, but its way better than that reviewer made it out to be.

19. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=142

Here's a second opinion that's more in-depth and "fair". And frankly, the "snobby, elite" attitude (which is really just done to incite responses) is well justified considering how far the CRPG genre has fallen.

20. mrhillz

mrhillz Changed his user title. TFW2005 Supporter

I enjoyed it. I really didn't care for Morrowind at all, but Oblivion kept me hooked for months on end,, until I discovered WoW .