Sell me on Beast Wars

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Bathawk, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Bathawk

Bathawk Well-Known Member

Hey all been watching the entire G1 series on youtube. and I geuss after that I should start watching Beast Wars right? but uncnvinced it's worth my time. But still I hear fans speak of how awesome it was. So why do you all feel this way?

my reservations

1.) lack of imagination; Come on the names alone! Cheetor? Rattrap, Waspinator? did they take more than ten seconds thinking these up?

...Oh Dinobot and Insecticon...looks like less than five seconds

2.) The animation was probably cutting age back then when Reboot and War Planets were on, but now it's almost painful to watch

3.) Watched one complete episode once...it had Rginox dealing with a case of "atomic gas"...that pretty much soured any chance of me watching anymore. Though I did see half an episode where Dinobot was trying to convince Tigertron (Tigertron? good lord) about the law of the jungle

4.) is there any reason why the transformers have to shout out "maximize" or "terrorize" every time they transform?...is this some kind of Captain Marvel? Shazam type voice command?

That being said I have heard that it does expand on G1's mythology and it should be worth watching for that. And with a number of cameo's by G1 charcters including the ghost of Starscream(!)

So tell me am I missing out? I found RID pretty much painful to watch is Beast Wars better or worse?

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    No point in trying to sell you on BW, since it seems you've already made up your mind about it. Shame. It's generally regarded by all as one of the best, if not the best of all TF shows ever. The animation is not painful to watch. Sure, the first season is a little rough, but the second and third seasons get so deep into the story and dark it's almost a shock compared to season 1.

As for your reservations:

1. The names were made for the toys. There were some BW toys with pretty decent names, but the ones for the show weren't amazing. Still, they're classic.

2. How is it painful to watch? It's still more fluid than any cel-animated show I've ever seen and, while not as realistic and visually appealing as BM, is still better than Energon/Cybertron or half the crappy shows today that use CG as a crutch for the story. (which BW never needed)

3. I've seen this before. One sour ep can put someone off a series. (in my cartoon experience, every series has that "one episode" that just makes you roll your eyes) It's happened to me, but damn, it was one fart that was basically just the punchline for the ep. If you watch eps like the Agenda 3-parter or Code of Hero, you'd sing a completely different tune.

4. That's the 90's for ya. Somebody thought they should have catch-phrases to make them "cooler". It was quickly dropped for most transformation sequences, being saved mostly for introductions and dramatic effect.

Oh, BTW, his name is Tigatron, FWIW, and BW Animation is still better than half the CGI shows on today.
    BW and RID aren't even comparable. BW was way ahead of it's time. (most of mainframe's shows were. The 90's gave us a lot of great "kids shows" that are enjoyable even today)

I suggest you go watch BW. You can find the eps on Youtube. It really is a great show and it's a shame you formed such harsh opinions on it without even giving it a fair chance.

3. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Sound like you decided your opinion in a shorter amount of time that it took Hasbro to think of the name "Cheetor".

4. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    1. Names are a pretty shallow reason to condemn a line which lasted 4 years-plus.

2. Yeah the animation looks dated by today's standards. However, the quality improved over the course of the series. A third season episode is a big step up from a first season ep IMO.

3. You picked one of the most out-there and unusually goofy first season eps. Try checking out a few second-season eps for some of the better writing work.

4. That's another thing the characters do less and less as the series progresses. I find it less annoying than the anime TF series where everyone yells "Transform!" pretty much every time they do it, as well as call out their attacks.

Other: Starscream's ghost appears in the season 1 ep "Possession", and the Ark and its deactivated crew show in the season 2 finale and selected bits of season 3, if that's the stuff you're looking for.

5. Bathawk

Bathawk Well-Known Member

Just throwing myself at your mercy here guys

Yes I had condemened the show up until now. no lie

But the praise I have been hearing about the series of late has made me decide dto open my mind up a bit.

I listed the reasons why up till now I had avoided the series. Now I'm honestly asking you folks to point out the good stuff (story, characters ect;)  that out weighs what I have been seeing as the bad

6. Peanut04

Peanut04 Under Construction

News Credits:
    Well, I'll throw out my opinion. When the show was first out, I avoided it. I didn't care for the idea of Transformers being animals. I started watching it alittle during Beast Machines and felt it was decent. Several years later I caught a couple episodes and really enjoyed it. I made sure I watched all the episodes. It has a nice mature/dark overtone, something missing in most series. I still don't care for the toys, but the show itself was and is great. It had some of the smartest writing of any animated series. The shows all flow together well and the animation still holds up today. I think anyone who enjoys Transformers would be doing themselves a great disservice if they didn't watch this series. I doubt we will get another one so well written for quite some time. I think due to its writing, the show stands as the best of any TF series.

7. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Season 1 had several filler episodes. It didn't really hit it's stride till the end of the first season. That's when the writers figured out what they wanted to do. Starting with the 3 part season 1 finale it goes from kiddy to semi mature with one of the most twist surprise season enders for a kids animation series.

Season 2 and 3 have fewer episodes so there are few to really no filler episodes. Season 2 and 3 ramp up plot and intrigue. The episode are really well written from this point on. Beast wars has some of the most detailed injuries in a transformers series. With characters literally walking around with missing limbs and holes in the chest. Characters die(and don't come back) The writers also love to throw in twists you won't see coming. Writing wise it's the most adult since Transformers the movie 86.
    The animation improves the further you get into the series and the by the end of the 3 season they have some very nice backgrounds and models.

Let me put it this way the character Rampage is written as a serial killer Transformer. He talks about eating other transformers, You can't get much more adult on a cartoon series(they slip a lot by the censors because their robots)

Try it out I think you'll enjoy it.

8. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    you need to watch the episodes with Rampage and the toys are awesome, my favorite line!

9. rodster6

rodster6 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Even if at first you dont find the series that interesting, stick with it and im sure you will find it worth your while once the stories hot up especially season 2.

10. Mastodon

Mastodon Well-Known Member

Beast Wars contains the single greatest episode out of all Transformers cartoons, Code of the Hero.

11. Omega Charge

Omega Charge Prepare for trouble...

News Credits:
    I loved how BW continued the universe of G1.

Now Beast Machines was a different story.

12. Shadow Convoy

Shadow Convoy Stealth Ops Commander

Ebay:
    lots of references to g1... 'nuff said w/out spoiling anything

13. Sideways

Sideways Banned

yeah definately.. that's what I liked about Beast Wars..
    Shadow Convoy : nice to hear from you again, bud. I used to be ShadowPrime!

14. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Beast Wars sells itself...you don't need us for that.

15. Ravage

Ravage Decepticons forever!

A few years ago I would've been telling you that Beast Wars was the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I went back and watched some episodes recently, and it does absolutely nothing for me now. I think it was the G1 ties that drew me in back then. For a toy cartoon, it is well written though. You definitely shouldn't judge it by the farting Rhinox episode, that was one of the sillier moments and isn't really typical of the tone of the overall series. Check out season 2 if you want to see the show at it's best.

16. kllrwlf

kllrwlf Well-Known Member

Watch what you want. If you want to watch Beast Wars, watch it from the beginning. If you don't like it after whatever amount of episodes, stop watching it.

There's nothing to sell... :D 

17. drill

drill Gotham's White Knight

News Credits:
    While I must agree with everybody in giving their undying love for BW, I do think that if right now you want to get to the BEST episodes, you really need to see all of Season Two, most of Season 3 (Damn Protokids), and the following Season 1 episodes (That way you can get to all the good shit)

Beast Wars part 1 and 2
    Victory
    Dark Designs
    Spider's Game
    The Trigger part One and Two
    Possession
    Before the Storm
    Other Voices part 1 and 2

These are probably the most essential episodes of Season 1.

18. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was in your shoes once, but used Blockbuster Online to watch the whole series. I thought it was generally better put together than G1, with long running plot threads and continuity working in its favor. Some eps aren't the greatest, but they make the really good ones stand out even further. Waspinator is generally amusing, Blackarachnia's conflicting loyalty makes for good drama, and Dinobot's struggle to prove himself (or not to have to prove himself) made for decent cartoons.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  19. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    I don't see why you wouldn't give BW a chance, it really is a rock-solid and very well written series. Watch the Agenda story arc if you want a good taste of the series but it really is good to just watch the series from the beginning and all the way through.

The only real complaint I have about BW(and this is really just nit-picking) is that the animation, though cutting edge at the time is a bit dated now.

Don't close your mind about this, just watch it, you'll be hooked halfway through the first season for sure. Season 2 it gets really good. There are a lot of revelations about G1 in this series and it is all tied together masterfully. I won't say more than that, I don't want to give anything away.

20. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Well, the first season left a lot to be desired. It almost dropped me.
    However, the second season improved drastically.

I personally thought that the stories and writing were of very good quality- not directed to 10 year olds alone, but someone older wouldn't have a hard time watching it either.

Personally, I think the animation (well, Season's 2 & 3) still looks good.

and it is a G1- the Next Generation.

In short, I thought it was well done- until that dreck beast Machines came along....