self transforming Transformers why not?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Autobot78, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Autobot78

Autobot78 G1er

News Credits:
    the few brilliant ideas i have had through out the years for toys have mostly come to pass except for a few one is a Optimus Prime or what have you that you push a button when its in alternate mode and it automatically transforms into Optimus for some of the more simple transformations, Sounwave, Blaster, Optimus i believe that it would be technically possible. they should have these they would be awesome and im not talking about anything thats spring loaded or not G1

2. fateastray

fateastray AnakRepublikMalukuSelatan

You mean like Beast Wars Rattrap and other BW scout sized figures?

I really hated that, takes all the fun out of the toy.

edit: Oh, not springloaded? And G1? Now you're just saying that if it actually has been done before with another line, you don't want to hear about, because it's your idea. .........................................

Still, transforming toys manually is fun. Same reason I didn't like Automorph on movie bots.

3. Autobot78

Autobot78 G1er

News Credits:
    im not familiar with those are the like electric or are they spring loaded cause spring loaded doesnt count. and any line woould be good i guess i just am 99.999% G1 and .001% everything else does that make me a bad person :(  im sorry

4. Autobot78

Autobot78 G1er

News Credits:
    i agree i love transforming my collection (most of the time) but you dont agree that watching Optimus Prime transform right in front of your face IN REAL LIFE wouldnt be awesome then we disagree

5. fateastray

It would look -very- awesome, but it would lose it's charm a lot faster than a regular Transformers.

the bw scouts sort of transformers with little rubberbands tucked in their joints:

[​IMG]

You just had to lift his tail up, and POOF. Robot.

Downside: the rubber bands didn't last through time and snapped on mine.

6. Autobot78

Autobot78 G1er

News Credits:
    thats awesome and that sucks all at the same time, i live in the desert in Las Vegas so within a year rubber turns to dust. but that toy looks rad, i will check those out, thanks and God bless you and yours

7. fateastray

...Thanks for the blessing....

8. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    I can't see how a TF toy could self-TF without some sort of spring loading. Perhaps if they were hydraulically or pneumatically powered, but that just wouldn't be practical.

Also, most of the fun is in the TFing, take that away, and the toys would lose a lot of their appeal.

9. trex5000

trex5000 Autobot

Ebay:

what a shellformer

10. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Meh, doesn't really work for me. Manually transforming the toy, puzzle-like, is half the fun of transformers for me. Also, adding in auto-transforming would be an engineering nightmare if you wanted something that had a complex transformation, detail, and articulation, etc.

It's a cool little gimmick for small transformers like the activators and the gravity-bots though.

11. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

The cost to engineer such a toy would make it too expensive for the average joe to collect. It would not happen for many years to come.
    Plus, we don't need more toys doing the work for us.
    That said, there are lot's of robots that transform in front of your eyes already. Just look at some of the really high-tech computer-controlled robots that the Japanese are building. Some can even wrestle with each other. These guy's have ton's of servos mounted in each limb that control movement. Their robot modes look pretty cool, but their alternate modes aren't anything like Transformers alternate mode. These "toys" cost a whole lot of money and are usually kit's that you have to build your self, and program with a computer in order for it to do it's moves.

12. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Like a self playing video game?

13. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I prefer to transform my figures myself. How much fun is it when you watch someone else transform your figures? Not much, and this is almost the same.
    Automorph isn't so bad in small doses, but look at stuff like TFA Voyager Starscream that takes almost the entire transformation process out of your hands.
    I've got a couple of the old Autorollers though and they're kinda fun. I wouldn't want every figure to be self-transforming though.

14. Optimus Matt

Optimus Matt Well-Known Member

i had the turtle, but i dont remember any rubber bands.

15. catz

catz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    you mean like TFA Activator? or gravity bots?

16. fateastray

Rattrap has those bands by his shoulder, next to those gears. One snapped on mine and it's all floppy. the little gears themselves do the actually transforming, but those bands make it 'happen'

17. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    OK, it was always fun to transform the toys, but when I was a kid, I often wished that they would Transform like in the series. Because when you play with them and the good guys encounter the baddys and then they want to Transform and fight, it takes a few moments till your done and all the action you have in mind has to wait until you can continue with the intended pace ;) 

But I can imagine, that they would quickly become boring when your sated in seeing them selftransform often enough.

18. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  19. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    It'll happen sooner or later. Probably just a matter of time.

This is the best all-round self-transformer I've seen to date.
    YouTube - Real Transformer

With all the tiny servos involved, I imagine the transformation will have to start out fairly basic like this one, but the HasTak team will take it from there and flesh it out a bit.

If you've seen some of the products Takaratomy produce, I think they have the right people to do it. TakTom's isobot features some top-notch robotics for a relatively affordable price. It's not going to come cheap. Probably have to be a real flagship prestige project with a high pricetag. Maybe they'd do it for a big anniversary, 40 years of transformers or something.

20. Autobot78

Autobot78 G1er

News Credits:
    thanks for the video, thats awesome, for all of you giving reasons why transforming your toys yours self is better thats not why i started this thread. i dont wont all of them to transform themselves, (if there where no transformer statues and i said they should make a statue of Optimus Prime would you argue that it shouldnt be made because if it doesnt transform? it isnt a transformer? or that i think all transformers should be statues) no of course not i just know that it would be ridicoulsly sick if there was one. dont believe me? look at this guys video that i quoted sick and its not even a transformation to robot mode. give a guy a break it will happen, it needs to happen, but dont worry it will not somehow infect all of your transformers and all of a sudden you cant transform any of them because they do it themselves. :)