Self Promises

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TrueNomadSkies, Feb 17, 2012.

1. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    So basically, what sort of promises have we made to ourselves recently, be it seriously or jokingly? Also, how're they working out?

For example, I made a promise to myself not too long ago to spend a lot less on Yugioh, and that's something I followed through with completely. However, the one about posting less immature comments on this forum definitely hasn't followed suit, especially when I honestly feel that certain subjects & people bring it on themselves more than anything.

Then on a more serious note, I've made a legitimate commitment to basically control my emotions in real life, namely in regards to my parents, regardless of the amount of harassment & whatnot that's brought my way. I used to be very good at this for the longest time, but lately I really haven't, and that needed to change.

... and uhh, what has TFW made it a point to follow through with?

2. Starfire22

Starfire22 Zoot Suit Riot

News Credits:
    I promosed myself I wouldn't spend too much on TFs.....yeah...

3. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Towards the end of last year, I made a promise to myself to lose fifty pounds by my next birthday.
    I've gained a bit, but no loss thus far. THATS THE WAY I ROLL MOFOS.
    And I mean that literally. I will be rolling as my primary form of transportation if I keep up...

I also told myself to start doing things to control my anger management issues. Hahahaha. Nope.

4. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Well see, logically speaking, I know that the best way to deal with angry situations of any kind is to remain calm, and to look at it from as much of an out side perspective I can. I've had to do this countless times for work, school, etc, and up until recently, have pretty much lived my life in a way that I can control my emotions. I've never been a very "expressive" person by nature, so it's never really be hard... until recently. I'm definitely doing better, but sometimes when my stress level is through the roof & people insist on taking advantage of it, logic really goes out the window. I don't really wanna talk about why this is other than the usual things, but I haven't been this unsettled in my life since I was in elementary school, and those were easily the worst mental years of my life.

Also, I think everyone's trying to get in better shape, be it with weight or just in general. I've been telling myself that I need to get on that for years, but it just doesn't happen. I guess spending less time online could go hand in hand with it, but that's hardly an easy task in itself.

5. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I promised myself whenever I'm watching TV I'm moving around whether walking or running in place, lifting, and stretching.

Still at it.

6. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

I promised myself I'd buy a new car finally this year, but I don't know if I'll pull the trigger. I've been driving the same car I drove off the lot in January 1999.

Not having car payments has been great all these years.

7. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I keep promising myself that I will eat better, get my cholesterol under control and work out. So far, that is not working to well.

I think I will need to promise that to my son, because I seem to do better with promises to other people then promises to myself.

Unfortunately, my son will have no clue what the hell I am talking about.

8. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ^^ How old is your son? ^^

9. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Interner Soldier

News Credits:
    I promised my self to lose weight... I haven't had one apple all year.

10. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    How does your doctor feel about that?

11. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Well, you could lose 10-20 pounds a month or 3 1/2-5 pounds a week.

12. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Well, as long as he's losing healthy weight, or I guess losing weight in a healthy way.

13. Astrotrain52

Astrotrain52 Former Green Kool-aider

I made 3 resolutions for this year: be more positive, eat healthier, and lose 30 pounds by year's end.

My friends, family, and others in real life have noticed I'm much happier than I used to be. I've also lost about 7 pounds this year so far (and kept them off). And my junk food intake has been cut in half, despite being a college student.

Now there was that promise about reducing my spending on my hobbies...

...oh...wait....I remember what happened to that promise :lol 

14. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

I promised myself that I was going to be more selective in buying toys this year.It's not working out too good....all those damn coupons out there are making me spend,spend,spend.

I am happy though that I promised myself that I would cut down on my snacking between meals.I've probably lost about ten pounds already.

15. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    - Promised myself that I was going to spend less time online. Specifically less time reading message board threads and comment threads in general, since the constant whining, complaining, negativity and over-reaction has been really wearing on me lately. Especially here on the TF sites, with the tone of the online fandom actually causing me to lose interest in this hobby. This promise is...not going well, so far. I've said to myself over and over and over that I need to cut back and I just don't. I think I may need to take drastic measures.
    - Promised myself that I'd stop getting so annoyed and frustrated with the rude, thoughtless and inconsiderate behavior of other people. Particularly trying not to take this behavior as a personal slight against me; it's just people generally being assholes. However, it's hard not to get frustrated when I try to be courteous, polite and considerate to others, only to get nothing but crap in return. This promise is also not going well and I find myself becoming a lot more cold and callous with people as a response, rather than letting it go.
    - Promised myself to start exercising and lose weight. I started Power 90 at the beginning of December and am two weeks away from completing it, having never missed a work-out. I've lost ~20 pounds, am within 10 pounds of my goal weight, boosted my endurance and also added a fair amount of muscle. My new promise to myself is to start P90x by mid-March.
    - Promised to get 1 vintage TF off my 'want' list every month.

16. kaiserlisk

kaiserlisk THIS PLEASES GAGA

News Credits:
    I promised myself I'd get in better shape in time for lifeguard training next month.

I also promised that I'd redecorate my room. Still at Phase 1.

17. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I promised myself that I would try and become more awesome. It's working pretty well so far.