Self/less

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Hazekiah, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

This is a SHOCKINGLY beautiful film.

I'd always kinda dismissed Ryan Reynolds as a Van Wilder douchebag but Deadpool and his commentary for it made me reconsider. NEVER PROPERLY RATED HIM.

So I took a chance on this & you should, too!

SCI-FI/ACTION w/ A TON OF <3 and I DID NOT EXPECT TO CRY.

When the credits rolled and I realized it was directed by Tarsem Singh, director of The Cell, The Fall, and "Losing My Religion," suddenly EVERYTHING MADE SENSE.

Easily one of my new favorite movies.

2. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Oh hey it's Deadpool vs Trevor Slattery.

"There's no easy way to say this... I'm pregnant Trevor."

3. Cybermnky

Cybermnky Well-Known Member

Was not a bad movie, though it did feel kind of genericy sci-fi to me. If you want a good Ryan Reynolds drama piece look up "Buried"

4. Rodimus74

Rodimus74 Well-Known Member

Tarsem Singh also did Immortals. He's one of my favorite directors although I haven't seen Selfless yet. I'm hoping he does an epic sci-fi space movie one day.

5. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator

News Credits:
    Yeah, watched this OD some time ago, because of Ryan Reynolds, liked his work for a while now... true, tis 'sci-fi-ey' but thought it was pretty well done. Ben Kingsley was excellent of course, scary and sad. Matthew Goode as Albright was just scary. :lol 

The actress who played his wife, was the Deputy on Under the Dome.

As for Reynolds's character, loved what lengths he went to (had to go to), to protect his family.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  6. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Glad to hear you liked it!

I think one of my favorite parts is how matter-of-fact they are with the sci-fi element while grounding it in the real world. It really just kind of exists as a plot element to build an only slightly unreal story around.

Kind of reminded me a lot of the S.Q.U.I.D. tech in Strange Days in that way, actually.

Haha, yeah...with a dash of the Watchmen in there too, lol. I liked that aspect of the movie as well.

Oh, I will! I saw it on a cheap-o DVD at a dollar store ages ago but when I went back to get it the only copy was gone. D'oh! Someday. Always thought the trailer looked good.

Highly recommended! And AGREED, Tarsem in space would be EPIC for sure.

Never heard of Immortals, though...thanks! I'll definitely keep an eye out for it.

7. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Man, I can't get over how great this movie is.

I even kept the RedBox rental a few extra days to watch it a few more times!

Not a single bad performance in the whole film, not even from the child actor. Everyone is SO on point with really interesting subtle and nuanced performances. And of course it's beautiful shot with a really unique and perfect score.

Anyone who's seen this should see it at least twice and if you already have then do it again. Every single plot point and development is just expertly introduced and resolved. There's a lot of stuff that's gonna jump out at you once you know where everything's going.

Anyway...gotta go return it now.

:-\

8. Rodimus74

Rodimus74 Well-Known Member

Immortals stars Henry Cavill and is about the Greek Gods. Almost along the lines of Clash/Wrath of the Titans but better. Wouldn't also mind Tarsem doing a sci-fi noir movie. Would love to see his take on a movie like Dark City or Blade Runner.

9. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    I'll definitely check it out, thanks again! Cavill in a movie about gods DEFINITELY makes a lot of sense, lol. And MAN, I recently watched the Clash of the Titans remake and basically DID NOT enjoy it at all. What a PoS. I have fond memories of the original and the remake's trailer had me in the palm of its hand so I was looking forward to it but GODDAMN that was a bad movie.

Back to Self/less, though!

I forgot to mention something SO cool, lol.

I remember realizing early in the film that Ben Kingsley's character was a New York real estate magnate who was kind of a douchebag. When I got to the scene in his actual apartment, it was so garishly golden and tacky that I remember thinking "Okay, now they're REALLY overdoing it, this character is OBVIOUSLY a stand-in for Donald Trump."

(Not in any way a political statement, btw. He was always a public figure and wasn't even running for office at the time.)

Then I watched the credits and at the end they thank HIM and the staff of Trump Towers specifically because OMFG THAT SCENE WAS FILMED IN TRUMP'S ACTUAL DINING ROOM, lol.

TOO FUCKING PERFECT.

XD

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2016