Select Series and Store Exclusives Speculation

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Seth Sunthay, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Kamen Ranger Bat

Kamen Ranger Bat omae wa mou shindei

Google+:
    YouTube:
    I think they are the last as there's no other promotional art of anyone else in potp. There was a black jazz remold on elita-1nfinite and swoop packaging had the red chest. I could be missing something but I believe that covered everything.

• Like Like x 1
  3. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    if these were the only two then why bother with a new branding? select series could be a new universe 1.0 style line utilizing unused decoes and tooling with the potp label denoting which series the figure "belongs" to, much like the 3 amazon deluxes being branded prime wars trilogy with the series they belonged to on the box as well

just off the top of my head, using things from combiner wars and on, select series could give us
    demolishor from onslaught
    monstructor/dinoking from terrorcons and dinobots
    seacons (hun-grrrs initial head looked like snaptrap)
    artfire from inferno
    g2 shuttle blastoff
    g2 defensor (not a homage with new heads)
    cw delta magnus
    tr leo prime
    tr bat primal
    tr croc megatron
    tr bludgeon
    basically any of the lg-ex digital repaints
    god bomber
    tr galvatron with his original idw style mask

and thats all using tooling that we know exists for the prime wars figures

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 7
  4. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Royal Purple

News Credits:
    I have to agree with the above statement. I think these were going to be released in the final wave of POTP but got cut because the line itself was cut short.

That said, I would like it if we got some sort of outlet for redecos like how Takara treats their Legends EX line at this point(seperate from the main line.)

I can’t really think of anyone else they could do besides a voyager Demolisher from Onslaught, who’s prototype we have seen but he was canceled, and Hoist from Trailbreaker who also had a head made but it was never used.

EDIT: There is also the alternate head for Rook, which was Brawl inspired and would have been used for the Technobot Ironclad(Ironfist) as well as Brawl. So maybe Ironclad could join the roster to make a full combiner.

• Like Like x 3
  5. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's evil!"

News Credits:
    I'd love to see a "Universe" sub-line featuring repaints and remolds of Prime Wars toys. It'd be a great way to fill out the ranks of characters we missed. Even if it ended up as a store exclusive line...Amazon would be perfect and has a history of doing the online exclusive thing just fine. There's a fair amount of Titan Returns molds that could be easily used and abused to give us plenty of post-86 characters we haven't seen yet.

• Like Like x 9
  6. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    thats honestly about what im hoping this select series is. would be awesome in my opinion and not much of a budget breaker for hasbro

• Like Like x 4
  7. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Siege just feels like such a break away from the greatness of the Prime Wars toys - I really want more of PW more than anything else. (Not saying Siege isn't excellent so far - but PW just feels unfinished.)

• Like Like x 6
  8. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    if my theory is correct, hasbro sees how in demand all of the exclusives have been for prime wars (except maybe the g2 combiners) along with the lg-ex releases. so why not do their own lg-ex style line? brand unification only affects the main lines and it would be a good budget line if they utilized very little retooling but made use of existing tooling that never saw release.

• Like Like x 3
  9. jmagnus83

jmagnus83 Well-Known Member

Yeah i agree with you and Kamen Ranger Bat. I wouldn't be surprised if these were the loose ends at the end of POTP that for whatever reason got cut from Wave 4.

I don't think TR molds would be used due to the fact that POTP is listed in the sub-line title. Combiner limb molds seem the most readily available.

I think that the any further releases would be in the Deluxe size class since most online retailers outside of Amazon don't seem to carry Voyager or Leader Generations exclusives. And whole combiners like Monstructor and the Seacons are not realistic.

If I was to make some wish list projections though i would say this:

UW Ratchet
    CW Bluestreak in non-Diaclone colors
    Hoist from CW Trailbreaker
    Ironclad from CW Rook
    Chromia from the Afterburner mold
    Arcee from the Afterburner mold

All of these are deco changes and new heads of which Ratchet, Bluestreak, Hoist & Ironclad are known pre-tools.

• Like Like x 4
  10. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    True. As long as it stays in the $25/deluxe range for cost, I'm down!

• Like Like x 5
  11. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i wouldnt expect combiner boxsets, but individual releases are always a maybe. keep in mind that it is possible for figures to be double branded. liokiaser was both a platinum series figure and combiner wars. the amazon deluxe exclusives were double branded as prime wars trilogy and their respective series. power of the primes select series could be a double branding as well, with select series being the actual title and power of the primes being the indicator of where the figure was "selected" from. otherwise why bother with the select series branding? why not just call it power of the primes?

same though ideally id include voyagers here and there

• Like Like x 3
  12. Kamen Ranger Bat

Google+:
    YouTube:
    All of you guys make good points. I really hope so as I've kinda fallen in love with the prime wars trilogy. The figures are so versatile. It really feels like more could have been done. So many obvious characters could have been done. Hell maybe we will get the rest of the pretender shells too. I have nothing against siege, as I'm picking up sound wave and sideswipe and a few battle master things. I was gonna get the starscream but I ended up changing my mind. I'm getting the PotP one now.

• Like Like x 4
  13. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Ugh. I think you'd be better off with the Siege version, if only for the much better robot mode. PotP Starscream's only bright spot is his ability to combine.

• Like Like x 1
  14. artiepants

artiepants Misses readable TF comics

News Credits:
    given what that combined torso looks like i don't even know if i'd call it a bright spot :p 

• Like Like x 1
  15. jmagnus83

Yeah double branding could be a thing. I just think Hasbro is going to limit this sort of thing to avoid undercutting Siege with the retailers. Also, i obsess about the numbers and these two DLX will leave to 17 POTP DLX (including P/CP) and this is close to the average number of DLX figures that have been releases each year in Prime Wars (2016 crazy box set year adjusted).

I love the Prime Wars stuff so i'd love to pick up one or both of these. my wife is not a fan of the hobby so this might be have to be a planned present from my brother.

• Like Like x 3
  16. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don’t see select series being a brick and mortar line (if it is more than these 2). Again, I could see them adopting a model similar to lg-ex for select series and if it is only these two why bother with the extra branding? There’s no reason for it, unlike the trilogy figures where the double branding was thematic

• Like Like x 3
  17. Kamen Ranger Bat

Google+:
    YouTube:
    Which is pretty much my exact reason for getting him. I'm picking up 2 black wings, a dreadwind, and shuttle blast-off. I needed a torso.

18. jmagnus83

What I would say here is that the online retailers have warehouse space that is limited so Hasbro does have to be cognizant of that when pushing Siege and Select Series. I think a reasonable conjecture here is that this will be limited both in assortment (2 at the low end and 8 or so at the high end), figure choice (existing molds that combine with new decos and probably pre-tooled alternate heads; anything being released in Siege is off limits probably so no Ratchet), size class (Deluxe probably has best margins) and duration (can’t see a POTP sub-line lasting past SDCC in the current environment.) the title choice is significant to me. They linked it to POTP and not Prime Wars or just called it Generations Select Series because this is just a burn off line for the online shops who don’t get a wealth of exclusive options.

19. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If they are adopting the lg-ex model duration and warehouse space are not considerations that need to be accounted for as it would be a handful of figures a year and could run indefinitely. I agree the title choice is significant but for the opposite reason as you, if it’s just power of the primes run off why bother with the select series name? Wouldn’t it make more sense to just call them power of the primes?

20. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Could see Wildfly from Cutthroat. Maybe other Monstructor bits.
    I primarily want Prima and Megatronus.