sega dreamcast's demise

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by metcar, Feb 23, 2009.

1. metcar

metcar mmm donut!

my question is was segas axing of the dreamcast and there hardware division in general a good move or was it a "they got cold feet" kind of move. imo it was a cold feet move sure ps2 and xbox were more powerful but power isn't everything *look at ps1*

2. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    WHAT!!!

WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN?

Seriously though,

One of the best machines ever.

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    bad move.

Better to go down fighting than run away and live as the sega we have after the dreamcast.

in the many years since the dreamcast was laid to rest, we've had one good game from Sega. Panzer Dragoon Orta.

4. Kimmer

Kimmer Well-Known Member

the dc was way ahead of its time imo and that's why it failed. it's worth it just for mvc2.

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    it failed because peter moore pulled the plug on it early. it was successful. they were having trouble keeping up with demand. but he didnt think it was successful enough to go up against the PS2. so he killed it to "save" sega.

6. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sega pulled the plug way too early on the DC, it had a lot of life left in it, with a strong catalogue of games to back it up (something the Saturn lacked). Still one of my favourite consoles though. As for doing it to 'save' Sega, we've had a few sequels to arcade titles like Virtua Fighter, and a stream of sub-par Sonic games.

7. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

demise? tish, my dreamcast is still functioning... lol.

8. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

power is *never* everything. history proves this time and time again.

9. metcar

metcar mmm donut!

i see everyone pretty much in agreeance dreamcasts death was one of the biggest bonehead moves in the Vgame industry

10. turbovf1s

turbovf1s Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    i got mine and i love it. and if sega could make another console that could compete they might become relevant again...

11. metcar

metcar mmm donut!

it just burns me even to this day the dang thing was doing well and they kill it your making cash and you kill it where is the logic

12. Slagfan

Slagfan Active Member

I think that they didn't market it as well as they should have based on the tech it boasted. I think that if you ask most casual game fans these days, they'd say that Xbox Live was the first online experience with a console, when Dreamcast shipped with a 28 modem built in? I remember getting an extra cable for a phone jack with mine.

But I think that the wonky marketing, a horrible controller, and no EA sports games hurt. I think EA went exclusive to Sony back then, didn't they? Nice thanks for pretty much putting them on the map back with the Genesis, eh?

I still play mine every now and then. Chu Chu Rocket was so cool. And they were doing the "cool" stuff way before the Wii. Samba de Amigo controllers, anyone? :) 

13. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I still have and love my Dreamcast. I even found one, core unit only, at a local thrift store a couple years ago for $5. Now I have 2 :D 

14. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

IMO the Dreamcast just wasn't given enough time to really spread it's wings. Where I live, it just wasn't marketed well, nor was it pushed to sell. I always wanted one but couldn't afford it back then.

It's a shame it didn't make it. It was a really nice system and the games wowed me.

15. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    Then again Sega and Nintendo were fighting Sony's strong arming of retailers regarding the PS2 Launch. Retailers were told they would not get system's at launch if they did not give Sony double the space as the others. I don't think the law suit that resulted was ever resolved.

16. metcar

metcar mmm donut!

if sega ever does get back into the hardware biz you can count me in to get it *is a loyal sega hardware fanboy lol* though i'm a gaming fanboy in general

17. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

Oh hell yes. I'm not a big gamer *winces at the memory of paying $250.00 for the Wii* but if Sega launched a new system (even if it was 8-bit or below. lol) I'd be all over that like white on rice.

Sega knew how to game. Genesis, Master System, SegaCD (it's still awesome no matter how you slice it. If you disagree, then the immortal words of Cartman fit here. "Screw you guys, I'm goin' home." )

Oh man. Thanks to them, my room looked like an arcade, all I needed was a dollar changer and I was set. I had Lethal Enforcers, Virtua Cop, Panzer Dragoon, Double Switch, etc.

...it still brings a tear to my eye after all these years. So many good memories. The games of the Sega era were quality over quantity. Sure, the graphics are nothing compared to today's offerings, but the substance behind the cheesy graphics was so good, so well made...screw the graphics, the games were awesome and they still outclass most of today's ventures into gaming.

Sonic The Hedgehog 1, 2, & 3...or Sonic next gen? Original Sonic, any day, any time.

This was a time when games were FUN. Not an adventure you had to take and spend countless dollars on. You didn't have to be connected to the internet to enjoy it, you didn't have to worry about your Blu-Ray drive failing, or a wireless remote flying through your TV screen, or so much depth in the story that you had to basically watch a friggin' movie's worth of cutscenes just to enjoy the damn game. No, you just plugged it into the console, turned it on and enjoyed it.

That's what I miss about video games. Enjoying them. Today's games just don't have that same spark for me. And they never will.

Long live Sega.

18. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Ditto. I still play on it when I get a chance. Soul Calibur, Code Veronica, & Shenmue FTW.

19. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A lot of people talk highly of the Dreamcast. It was a good system, but I honestly was unimpressed by its library and cadre of peripherals. On the flip side, for some reason, I loved the Saturn. Virtua Fighter 1 and 2, Daytona USA, Sega rally, Panzer Dragoon 1-3, Clockwork Knight 1 and 2, Guardian Heroes, Sonic Jam (still my favorite sonic compilation), Virtua Cop 1 and 2, Fighting Vipers, Fighting Megamix, Shining Force 3, Dragon Force, and plenty of ram cart powered import fighting games. AND the controller was perfect for fighting games.

But anyways, to answer the OP, I think it was a bad move. I think Sega had a growing legion of fans, and the PS2 underperformed (at first, but that would have been enough to keep a lot of people buying Dreamcasts).

20. metcar

metcar mmm donut!

i wonder how many people would buy a new sega system if it was a return to the genesis days but with all new games lol. sorry to get off topic