Sega Dreamcast - 10th anniversary

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Caterwaul, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

Not so happy anniversary Dreamcast. You were one awesome system that died way to early.

Any favorite games you lot remember? Me, I remember all the awesome fighting games they released. Virtual On, Tech Romancer, Power Stone, Soul caliber. Mmmm. Good times.

It was the first console I bought with my own money.

2. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    10 years ago today I stayed awake for 24 hours playing Sonic Adventure and Soul Caliber -good times. :thumb 

3. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

mine still gets used. if anyone knows how to stop my arcade sticks feeling like they have treacle in them that would be appreciated!

4. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I dearly love the Dreamcast. So much so its still the console I have set up in my bedroom and has been like that for quite a few years. Marvel vs Capcom 1, Outtrigger, Shenmue 1 & 2, Fire Pro D, Virtua Tennis & Crazy Taxi are my all time favourite games for it.

I'm still surprised its games haven't made it to any of the games stores on current consoles, but i'm sure that day will come.

Anyone else thought the VMU idea would have caught on more than it did?

5. smangerbot

the dc versions of soul caliber and virtual on are on xbla. i think they're the dc versions at least...

6. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    Ah, the Dreamcast. Back when it came out, all I had was an N64 and a Playstation. I NEEDED something from Sega to complete the circle. Never got a Dreamcast. But when I do, I know that I'm gonna get every game released for it out of sheer respect for this underrated system! :) 

7. AMG

AMG Old School

I love the Dreamcast, amazing console. I can only imagine the game library that thing would've ended up having if SEGA didn't pull the plug early.

8. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Love the Dreamcast. It was the 1st console I bought all by myself. Played Soul Calibur for hours. Was really dissapointed with the Hydro Thunder port. Good times. I agree, if Sega was really smart, they would be setting these games up for the various stores.

9. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I just got one this year, actually. System (in box), 6 controllers, 4 VMU cartridges, light gun, and 4 games, for $15. :) 

10. smangerbot

just remembered - me and Twist were playing Sega Bass Fishing couple weeks back! :lol 

11. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

Ah, I loved my Dreamcast. Still have it somewhere.

12. Sangron

Sangron Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I still have it. And playing it. I have Marvel vs Dreamcast 2, NFL Blitz 2000, and Crazy Taxi.

13. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

They are, Virtual On still has you select the 3d VMU when you go to save the game.

I'm wearing a VMU on a lanyard all day. The girl at Walgreens asked what it was and I replied a Potato (hopefully some one will get that) and then explained what it was. I still love my DC and play it on occasion. A local used shop gets games in occasionally so I've been buying games here and there, I'm at over 150 games with a few imports.

DC is the only Console I've ever pre-ordered (and then bought some where else) and the only console, other than portables, that I've bought on day one. I've had three of them all together. One I gave to a friend so I could (have a reason to) buy the Sega Smash Pack bundle. The second I recently gave to a friend after I aquired the third, a Sega Sports edition. I still have a ton of VMUs including one thats still packaged.

I really wish I would have gotten a broadband adapter as well. I know there was atleast one Quake 3 server running the DC maps and patch a few months back. I played it on my PC against two others, not sure if they were playing on the DC or not though.

14. smangerbot

also all the robots have dreamcasts on their back, which open up when you boost :) 

15. OptimusSpanks

OptimusSpanks Well-Known Member

I've been really wanting to grab one for a while now. It's taking me a while because I'm trying to find a deal that includes the box and everything with it. I regret getting rid of my old dreamcast and sega. I miss those both.

16. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
  17. metcar

metcar mmm donut!

ah the dreamcast best system ever made imho to many faves like sonic adventure 1 shenmue sega bass fishing nfl2k (wich to this day i still think trumps the even the latests madden in playablity) virtua fighter 3tb doa soul calibur Draconus: Cult of the Wyrm just to name some lol

18. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Sold mine too when I was told I had to downsize the video game collection. Kept my PC Engine instead of the Dreamcast...which I don't regret. That doesn't mean that I don't miss my DC. Had an awesome DC boot disc for Japanese games - fun times w/ Marvel vs Capcom 2 alone.

19. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Jet Grind Radio should be on XBL

20. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

i was playing jet grind radio yesterday.

i cant believe its 10 years already.

FF8 is also 10 years old today.