Heavy/Scratch: Seekers WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Jbarb78, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Jbarb78

Jbarb78 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Since I recently lost my job and I've got a lot of time on my hands, thought I'd get this going finally. Got a few of the MP Skywarps on clearance, I wanted to do 6 G1 seekers with em. These will help me multitask, while glue and epoxy are drying on Devastator. First up is Thundercracker, still mixing the paint until I find the color I like. He'll be followed by Starscream, then Skywarp. I'm probably gonna repaint some Revoltech versions of these 3 at the same time, just to change it up a bit. The 3 that follow I'm still working out how I want to do them, and looking for the parts to make em, we'll get to them when the time comes. And away we go....

Attached Files:

• 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      1.9 MB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  2. TFormerfan

TFormerfan Maximal

Awesome man how much was the clearance price I know tons of people got for $10 or less

3. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    $10??? I got mine from Walmart for $30 on clearance. ** I'll be following these sir, six of them will be awesome and I really hope you are thinking about Acid Rain in there!

4. Jbarb78

Ebay:
    The cheapest I got one for was $17.99, the first 2 I bought at regular price in December, then I got 6 at $30.

Got the blue laid down, the Revoltech is pretty close to done. Gonna let em cure overnight, had some bad problems last time I did my Cybertron seekers when I rushed into things. I wasnt planning to do an Acid storm, though I might now that you mention it. I have 4 of the Revoltechs, I could do one of him too. That would make 11 total, not out of the question, but I wanted to save a couple of them for later down the road. Sunstorm might be able to squeeze in there too.......

Attached Files:

5. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am doing much the same thing.

I found my MP skywarps for 20 on clearance...I need 2 more though.

This will be cool to watch :D 

6. SonOfNemesis

Ebay:
    Lookin good! Are you going with enamels or acrylics on this one?

7. Jbarb78

Ebay:
    Stickin to acrylics, trying to use em up before I invest in any new paints. Maybe after I finish these I'll slowly phase in the enamels, since I have to switch primers anyway.

8. Jbarb78

Ebay:
    Revoltech Thundercracker complete, sprayed him with Model Master Flat clear, very happy with how he came out. Looks very cartoonish in person, which is what I'm going for with all these.

Did some more spraying with the blue on the MP figure, folding parts and joints to make sure I get into all the nooks and crannies. Gonna let that one cure another day before I start masking and spraying the next color.

Attached Files:

9. rampageSSS

rampageSSS All Hail Rampage

News Credits:
  10. Jbarb78

Ebay:
    I've seen those, I like what you did with the Coneheads. I have a Thrust revoltech around here somewhere that I never finished, couldnt find a cone for his head. I think I'm just going to do the original 3 Revoltechs for now, maybe a Sunstorm with them.

11. Jbarb78

Ebay:
    Sprayed a little more on this one, started some of the detailing too. Hoping to have this one done in the next day or two so I can get started on Starscream.

Attached Files:

12. Jbarb78

Ebay:
    Got back to this finally, been sick the last few days. My patience with the paint so far is paying off, no chipping when moving the parts, thats a plus. Just need to finish some small details and the wing stripes and he'll be done.

Attached Files:

13. cuters

cuters Diabolist

i like how your thunder cracker turning out .

14. SonOfNemesis

Ebay:
    Updates??

15. Jbarb78

Ebay:
    Thundercracker now about 90% complete, still waiting on some decals for him and a little more touch-ups, which I'll do when the decals come in so I only have to spray clear once. Got a new airbrush last week, got to use it on the stripes and was very pleased with the results. Its amazing the difference you see when you use higher grade equipment.

Moving on, gonna start tearing apart 2 more for Starscream and Skywarp. I want to speed up the process a little bit, this way I can work on one while the other is curing. I already have the color mix I want for Starscream, still figuring out the color for Skywarp since I dont want just a basic black. Should have base coats laid within the next day or 2.

Still kinda torn about the MP's mid section, I think it's too much silver, but I dont know if I want to do the grey like in the pic, or the blue like the G1 cartoon. Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

16. Jbarb78

Ebay:
    Starscream and Skywarp are now underway, got their main body colors mixed, sprayed, and cleared. Gonna let em sit for a day to cure before I start masking, probably gonna finish up their Revoltech versions tomorrow. More pics to come.

Attached Files:

17. SonOfNemesis

Ebay:
    EXCELLENT JOB!!!!! WOW! You did an amazing repaint here Jbarb, and I am really looking forward to Skywarp (mostly) and Starscream too. Simply amazing.

* I see in your pic you primed them grey or white?
    * How come you just didn't prime Skywarp black first, then paint black or am I assuming?

18. Jbarb78

Ebay:
    Thanks man, I like the white because it helps me see all the areas I missed (or would've missed) when airbrushing. Plus some of the colors I mix tend to pop more with the white, as opposed to grey or black primer. And this Tamiya white primer is very fine, so you get a thin, even tack coat that's smooth, not like eggshell, and it doesnt require much sanding if any.

It really all depends on the overall look you're trying to get, if you want the weathered "battle scared" look, or panel lined, then the black works great. Plus, if you're spraying black over a black primer, its much more difficult to tell if you've covered the piece evenly. The trick is to pick a primer that contrasts your paint, without affecting the actual color, otherwise you'll end up having to spray white under your brighter colors, making the paint thicker (causing rubbing and chipping issues on moving parts.)

19. SonOfNemesis

Ebay:
    Ah, I see. Good stuff to know. I guess you're right when painting black on black primer, that makes plenty sense now that you mentioned it. After these guys are through, what's the next custom?

20. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

really great work here. thundercracker looks awesome, so cartoon-ish, which i love! and i love how you break the MP seeker down so much for paint, it gives the extra factory look.