3D Artwork: Seekers in Half Life 2: Deathmatch

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by ironscythe, May 30, 2010.

1. ironscythe

ironscythe The Critic

News Credits:
    This started with a basic statue of Starscream I built in the HL2DM builders mod known as Phoneburnia (Phoneburnia.com :: Index - Phoneburnia.com). It's similar to Garys Mod, but requires no additional installation (other than downloading the maps when joining one of their two servers). It has no special item selection menu or graphical interface, so you make do with keybinds for moving and rotating objects that you spawn through the chat bar.

These are about 15-20 feet tall in-game, and so far, I have done Starscream, Thundercracker, Skywarp, Ramjet, Dirge, Thrust, and Sunstorm. This first batch of screenshots is a little old (I've improved on their models a bit since then), but I'm sure I have more recent pics somewhere.

Yes, they are made out of basic props from the game (and a few skinnable blocks and slabs made for Phoneburnia). They don't move, but I can slap thrusters on them and fly them around like the vehicles I build. Also, because of they're made from so many parts (about 120 spawns per seeker), rigging them to be poseable is pretty unrealistic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

That's a really creative use of game objects, it took a while to figure out what the cockpits were made from (and I still don't know how you made the hands).

The only suggestion I can make is, a bit of rust and dirt on your textures, or perhaps some false/baked shadows would work wonders for integrating into the environment better.

3. ironscythe

ironscythe The Critic

News Credits:
    Well, I understand the reasoning behind your suggestions, and I'm grateful for them, but I don't think I was clear enough in describing how I made these-- it's an actual online game mod, not a 3D program. Some textures (skins) are changeable, but except for the slabs, these number between 3 and 4 for those that are skinnable. Shadows are only those rendered in the environment of the game.

So the truth of the matter is, I didn't make these then import them. I built them in the game itself, online, running around and grabbing objects and placing them manually.

Oh, and the hands are made from soda cans and air vents.