Seekers CHMS: are they good?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by legolas119, Apr 5, 2012.

1. legolas119

legolas119 Member

Hi guys,
    I'm a new member of this forum and a new collector of Trasformers.

Well, I would like to buy some Henkei models. I have just taken Convoy (and Superion with fansproject kit).

Now, i'm searching the 3 seekers, Henkei edition, but they are very expensive (100$ or mor, each one) and rare...
    I don't like the Reveal the shield version...colours aren't so good...

So, I wolud like to buy those:

Transformers Universe Classics Henkei D-02 Starscream Figure

It seems very similiar to original Starscream Henkei (but it is chinese)

and those:
    CHMS KO Thundercracker V2 Seeker [CHMS Seeker] - $17.99 : Acestoystore, Transformers Collectibles

Transformers Universe Classics Henkei Skywarp Figure

what do you think? are they good? Are they very very similar to original henkei version?

many thanks!

2. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

i have never handled any of them, but i have always heard good things about them. you sure you dont want in on igear's awesome looking masterpiece seekers instead? :) 

3. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Those CHMS seekers blow. Had Sunstorm for a while. Couldn't get rid of him fast enough. The quality just isn't there.

4. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    ^ i had the opposite experience got the henki thundercracker andthought it was great. it just had one issue and that was in jet mode one of the panels didnt seem to fit together flush.

but joints were all tight, though i will admit i tried selling him because i found the generations thundercracker colors more attractive

5. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have CHMS Skywarp and Thundercracker and they're not bad at all. Had no issues as far as QC goes, though some of the ball joints on TC were a bit loose. A bit of died glue on them fixed and tightened them right up. I did pick up the real Henkei versions of the characters so I have no need for the CHMS versions so I plan to sell them soon.

6. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    They are good for KO's but they're not as good as the official molds. There are little details that are not as sharp on the KO toys, and some pieces are a little more fragile than the official ones. The official Henkei TC had a lot of problems with loose joints and the weapons not staying in the arms, so for the price the KO versions are worthwhile if you don't want to try your luck on the official versions

7. Billzilla

Billzilla Skeptic

News Credits:
    Some of them are quite decent. I've owned Ramjet and Skywarp and though there was something obviously a little "off" about both of them, they were pretty decent, particularly with price factored in (at the time legit Ramjet was going for twice the cost of the KO and Skywarp was four times. no idea now)

8. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    W/O experiencing them directly, i was under the impression there were revisions to the CHMS seekers that improved a lot, if not all, of the issues.

Conversely, Henkei Skywarp and Thundercracker appear to have their fair share of issues.

I'll also say there was something just a bit loose, ill fitting, about my (first) Henkei Starscream too.

9. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have Sunstorm and 3 of the purple generic seeker. They're all pretty solid, maybe a tiny bit loose in the hips.

As for the three main seekers, I'd suggest Generations Thundercracker. I have the Botcon version, the Henkei, and the Generations version, and like Generations the most.

10. Composite Ghost

Composite Ghost Motorized Transformer

News Credits:
    If you dig around in this forum you can probably find some really good reviews of the stuff you're considering buying. I personally think every CHMS figure has some kind of issue like loose joints or incorrect assembly. If you want something just as good as official Hasbro/Takara product then you should NOT get these.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  11. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Really? Mine never had that problem.

12. Composite Ghost

News Credits:
    You got lucky. You might literally have the only Takara Thundercracker on the planet without those problems.

13. Obsidian X

Obsidian X Dork of the moon

As far as KO goes they are great.
    I have the Takara and Hasbro releases of Screamer, kracker and Warp so I cant comment on those but I do have a bunch of other CHMS seekers.
    I have 3 purple seekers, Sunstorm, a yellow/mustard colored seeker and the rainmaker trio and they are all pretty good. Almost on par with official. My main gripes would be a little bit loss of detail, most notably in the faces and that folding out the hands can be a bit of a pain on a few of them (some of those hands are pretty tight!).

So maybe not perfect but as far as KO goes, quite solid. Most KOs I have, have turned into dust when I looked at them CHMS does not, seems sturdy.

14. legolas119

legolas119 Member

ok, so it's better to buy Skywarp and Thundercracker on Generations version (Henkei is so expensive, now!).

But Starscream...I think that the Generations version isn't so good as the Henkei version...isn't it? I find different version of it:

http://www.ebay.it/itm/MOSC-Hasbro-...904?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0eb27c50
    http://www.ebay.it/itm/Transformers...881?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c59d6bf1

Which of the 2 is more similar to Henkei version? I think that Classic version is better and more similar to Henkei
    http://www.ebay.it/itm/Transformers...541?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336a08148d

15. The Dark Seeker

News Credits:
    I actually have two of them. One for display in bot mode and one for display in alt mode. Neither of them have the afore mentioned problems. If anything, I also have most of the CHMS Seekers (with the exception of the first runs, cone heads, and G1 seekers) and some have the problems people say they have with the Henkei.....but worse. For example, the chromed Seekers.....the joints are too stiff. But that's to be expected considering how they were made. Some of the rainmakers were a tad floppy. Sunstorm was ok. Sunny storm (the yellow one) was kinda floppy. The purple clone....meh...it was alright. The clear one. OH FOR THE LOVE OF....yeah avoid that POS if you can. But if you must, be sure you are the one who assembles it. Then there's the white and burgundy one. If I didn't need that for the collection, I'd use it for target practice with the airsoft gun.

I guess there was just a bad batch of the Henkei ones?.....Who knows. Even the Generations TC wasn't without its one offs.....

I have all three versions of Starscream. I like them all. *shrugs*....can't really say which one is better. However, if you're looking for a classics version of Skywarp thinking its going to be way cheaper than the Henkei version....you might be right. Classics go on ebay for about $80 on average. The Henkei one?....I only fond two. One for a buy it now of $100.00 USD. The other, is on bid currently at $11.50 USD. But you never know what patience can bring you ;) 

16. Composite Ghost

News Credits:
    Yeah, there was a HUGE batch of bad Henkei Thundercrackers. The Skywarps were floppy too but at least their missile launchers stayed in their shoulders. As for those two figures I'm thinking the CHMS ones might actually be more solid than the official figures.

17. The Dark Seeker

News Credits:
    LMAO!!! You're making me feel like I have lucky lottery tickets sitting on my shelf. Mine...do NOT have any of these problems :lol 

18. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    The problem with hunting Henkei seekers on ebay is that it can be very difficult to spot the knockoff's from CHMS. If I remember correctly the first run they did had the same packaging as the Henkei versions, the second run replaced the Takara Tomy logo with the CHMS logo. You can pick up "Henkei Skywarp" on ebay all day long for $20, but I doubt you'll get an authentic one.

It's possible that they made a running change to the official Henkei sets, even though they were supposed to be a limited run exclusive. The first batch certainly had a lot of problems
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...ansformers-henkei-skywarp-thundercracker.html

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  19. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    They're not perfect but they fit in great for me. I love them.

20. echotransformer

echotransformer Well-Known Member

My experience is virtually the same...my Sunstorm silver paint apps had issues (easily fixed) and the joints were equal to or better than Hastak. They were later revisions for sure, and I must say the purple seekers exceeded my expectations.

If you plan to get Thundercracker, just get Generations they can still be found in stores often on sale.