Customs: Seeing Red! Need help finding a good red paint!

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by deliciouspeter, Dec 10, 2007.

1. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hello everyone, I'm tearing my hair out trying to find a good red paint. I've used Testors Acryl or Fantasy Acrylics almost exclusively, and I love them, but I have to order them online because of my mobility issues. I'm hoping a repainter/kitbasher can help!

I have been to a few stores here and there but they never have the right stuff. Just a primary, non-metallic red. Something close to the color of the autobot insignia...or Optimus red. You know...RED! :)  A flat matte finish would be good too.

Thanks. I'm a little frustrated, I just got my latest order and they are either orangish or metallic or clear.

So far in the Testors brand, I've tried:
    stoplight red
    dragon red
    clear red (duh)
    bloode red

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I mainly use Testors Enamel's. There is a good average red in that line-up. They are shiney, but to get rid of that, clear-coat it with some Dull coat. It'll make it look like the paint was flat when it was put on. I've also used a couple of Krylon paints, which has a special paint just for plastic. They also have a nice range of colors, some already flat, though I would recomend using a primer unless you use the Krylon Fusion (specifically made for plastic). I hope that helps.

3. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
    Good idea, maybe this is to:
    Try a light gray or white primer first then lay down that clear red ....that might work.

4. Optimus Layne

Optimus Layne Autobot Commander

i like house of kolors

5. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

The one thing I hate about painting is that you almost always have to use multiple layers...a primer to make the color pop and promote adhesion, and then some sort of enamel on top...

This is my experience:

If I can get away with it, I like Testors enamel...regular, acrylic, or model master...but that's a holdover from my childhood. It can be a little too thick at times, but using multiple thinned layers to avoid obscuring surface details works, if time-consuming.

I like the opacity and consistency of Games Workshop Citadel paints, but they aren't very resilient at all...they scratch off pretty easily unless you use a strong primer and sealant afterwards. A pain.

Tamiya paints are usually very strong colors, and they come in a wide variety of colors and finishes, so you can get a flat red or semigloss red or glossy red... Some people swear by these, but in my experience their paints are always curiously watery and take forever to dry on the figure, yet they dry on the brush very quickly, making painting details with them tedious. I almost have to use a retarder to get any kind of good results from their bottled paint, and yet it scratches off easily.

Gunze color is my least favorite. It's available in almost as many colors as tamiya, with apparently a selection of finishes as well, but it seems even more watery than Tamiya. Every time my local hobby store is out of Tamiya I buy a bottle of Gunze in the approximate matching color, and I'm always disappointed. You'd think I'd learn.

I think, in the long run, I have better results from oil enamels than acrylics, and the sheen and durability of the finish is usually better than with water based. Plus, once it dries, you can use acrylic paint to do washes or use acrylic sealant without fear of ruining the base coat.

6. Sherade

Sherade Ford Boy

Tstors have some nice laquer sprays (auto grade) for stuff, I'd suggest them.

7. maximus_primal

maximus_primal Autobot

Some Wal-marts have started carrying Kustom Kolor and they have some really nice paints out, you can also see their whole range at their website and if need be order on line. I just recently came across them. I love the look that so much better than testors that I am going to strip my custom Motormaster and repaint with it. I hope it comes out as good as it looks in the bottle. It's worth looking at if your Wal-mart started carrying them.

8. Archatron

Archatron Banned

Ebay:
    Testors Model Masters Guards Red a classic. lol

9. thor20

thor20 Omnibot

Model Masters paint is an excellent paint. I've had alot of good experiences with there paints. I've also had good experience with Testors acrylics and enamels. I dont use enamels anymore they take a long time to dry but usually look awesome when done. But I've have the same effect with the Model Masters acryl.

10. Archatron

Archatron Banned

Ebay:
    Model Masters is my brand of choice. It's the best hands down. Really thick. I was lol because I called it a classic. It needs to be thinned a little sometimes so watch out.

11. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    try Fusion red. It's nice, coats 2 thin coats RED.

12. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

to deliciouspeter

your seeing red?

i'll show you red

dresses up like a taunting bull fighting matador while waving a large red colored cloth at him

toro , toro olae

sorry people but the spanierd in me just cannot resist taunting the guy on
    the matter.