Sector 7 #1

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Beastbot X, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Old skool. In a lot of ways.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow, no thread for this? I'm surprised.

Folks, if you've been turned off by Nefarious, fear not. This comic--at least is so far-- is FANTASTIC, IMO. Great dialogue, AMAZING cross-referencing with real-world historic events (the last page is even a note from the author explaining some of the more obscure stuff-- LOL at Jetfire inadvertently starting the Spanish-American War), seemless blending-in with previous movieverse fiction. It's also a fairly meaty book-- there's not SO MUCH exposition/explanations that it becomes a chore to read, but it's hardly a "5 minute read" either.

Unless you absolutely can NOT deal with humans being the center of a Transformers comic, pick this one up. If the miniseries continues to be this good, this could be one of IDW's best TF minis. This Barber fella really seems to know what he's doing.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2010
  2. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Really? Wow. That's good to hear. I didn't know what to make of the five page preview, but good to hear it doesn't dissapoint.

Lol at Jetfire!

So, with spoiler tags, mind filling me in on the basic synopsis?

And how is the art compared to Magno's work on Nefarious and Tales of the Fallen?

3. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

man, i swore i was going to stop buying movie comics... i'll have to at least skim this in the store.

4. Beastbot X

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Two men-- Joseph Simmons and Walter Wells- are running from a bunch of weird creatures in 1898 after stealing some kinda funny-looking mineral. It would seem they investigate this sorta stuff for a living. It's never told exactly what they've been after, but after they deal with the creatures they're confronted by Agent Billy North from the United States Treasury Department's Secret Service.
    North brings them to Dr. Archibald Witwicky. At first even Simmons and Wells don't believe, but one of Witwicky's shipmates-- Reginald Danco-- is furious that no one believes his captain and insists what Witwicky saw was real, even if the guy is crazy now. Agent North organizes a party of them-- seven in total-- to go towards the North Pole to see this "giant ice man".
    The other three of the original seven are Jack Arden, a metallurgist, Philippe Bowen, a demolitions expert, and Theodore Grant, an expert on geology. This all jives with the names of the original seven mentioned briefly in TF1 and the infamous "Sector 7 site" on the web before the first movie was released.
    When they get to the site, Danco shows them Megatron in stasis. They marvel over it for a bit, and Simmons is interested in just how much they can learn from it-- the metallurgist Arden doesn't recognize the metal. And given that there is NO metal he doesn't recognize, they hypothesis that this wasn't built, it is alien.
    Meanwhile, Jetfire, drawn by an emerging energy signature (Megatrons' optics are slightly lit-up when the men are talking), comes out of the water near Havana, Cuba, destroying a ship in the process. As explained at the end, this is mistaken for a mine, and starts the Spanish-American War.
    The Seven are debating how to blow up the ice around Megatron to transport him when Jetfire interrupts them, landing on the site. Jetfire speaks to Megatron in Cybertronian, not knowing who he is. Jetfire notices he wears the symbol of the Decepticons, but is not the one who betrays him. Megatron tells him his name. Jetfire's never heard of him, so he starts smashing. At this time the Seven intervene, but Jetfire brushes them off and kills Agent North in the process.
    With cracks emerging quickly in the ice, Bowen, with the help of the others, manages to blow the ice out from under Megatron and Jetfire, sending them plunging into the frozen depths and re-freezing them both. As Megatron goes down, it sounds to the others like he is weakly saying "I am Mega-Man", when he's actually saying his name.
    It's now when the remaining six realize just what they're getting into... issue ends, next one's supposed to take place in 1913.

A summary really doesn't do it justice, though. The dialogue between the various members of the Seven is very well done-- their reservations, motivations, etc. And again, there's a page of "Field Notes" from the author to explain some of the more obscure details-- be they historical or fictional tie-ins from previous comics-- so that people who purchase this comic that haven't purchased all of the previous IDW movie comics "get it".

Infinitely better--Suitor is a great artist. The human art is slightly-more-detailed Guido-ish. The robot art (and I'm going off of about three or four pages of stuff here, there's only two TFs that appear in issue one) is.... kinda its own thing, I can't really describe it as looking a lot like a previous well-known TF artist. Maybe the closest would be Casey Coller if he drew movie stuff? A lot of the robot art is partially obscured by snow, but it looks quite good, nonetheless.

5. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Decided to pick this up and wasn't dissapointed, aside from the name issues with Simmons & Wells it was a good read for me. I look foward to the rest of the series. I got a laugh out of
    Jetfire starting the Spanish-American War

6. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A really pleasant surprise, leagues better than Nefarious (and I don't mean that in a snarky bar-is-set-so-cripplingly-low way ;)  ). I was worried about my interest levels but a few things addressed that, Jetfire most of all.

7. BigPhill

BigPhill Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I was under the impression that
    Jetfire actually was the ship, and ejected all the humans as he transformed.

8. Beastbot X

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You could be right, I don't think those two pages flowed well. It was rather ambiguous.

9. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    color me badd, er, i mean intrigued.

10. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sounds interesting, but...

I thought Jetfire was offline somewhere in Egypt all that time after his battle with The Fallen and the Constructicons until he came back online and scan a crashing SR71?....of course, a part of Tales of The Fallen is already contradicted, but still..am I wrong here?

And wouldn't the original 7 remember a second alien appearing? Up until movie 1, it seemed only NBE-1 and the Cube were known..

11. Beastbot X

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The first is actually explained in the back of the book on the notes page, if you have the comic. Basically it takes advantage of the whole "time becomes meaningless" quote-- Jetfire was online for a long, loooong time before he scanned the SR71.

As for your second question, nothing I can recall in the movies or the comic books ever says it did or didn't happen.

12. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

not a bad read. cool to see such a change of art. i will def pick up #2.

13. raptorclans

raptorclans Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I pretty much enjoyed it, but something rather bothered me... why does Jetfire have SR-71 kibble in the 19th century? :( 

14. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

I said I was done with Movieverse comics after Nefarious, but after reading the reviews in this thread I decided to give it a try.

Got to say that I enjoyed it. Not very robot heavy, but you still get sucked into the storyline and feel some of the awe that a human must feel encountering an alien species. The art was also leaps and bounds better than Nefarious. Looking forward to see where they go with this.

15. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Wow, it was cool!

But...
    On page four, North refers to the characters as "Joseph Simmons" and "Walter Wells", and on the following page, Joseph mispronounces "Witwicky" as "Wickety", just as Seymour Simmons did in the first movie, a joke to seemingly prove the two characters' relation. From page eight onward, however, the pair's surnames are switched, and the whole story becomes framed by excerpts from the journal of "Walter Simmons", indicating that he is actually supposed to be the Simmons in this story. John Barber's continuity notes at the end of the issue confirm that Walter is Simmons, but give Wells' name as "Theodore".

16. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    interesting, hope that in the 30s one Hubcap makes an appearance as well as an issue set in 1984 with Wheeljack or Bumblebee first arriving/ getting his voice synthesiser damaged.