Secrets of the Lithones! Kinda image-heavy!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Monzo, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Monzo

Monzo Weirdest Fan Experience

News Credits:
    Ah, the Lithones. I don't think anyone in the Transformers fandom has ever cared about the Lithones. I'm not sure I care about the Lithones that much. But will that stop me from talking about them?

No sir!

With the re-release of TFTM, this seems as good a time as any to bring this up. I'm pretty sure you all know how the '86 movie begins. The planet Lithone is devoured by Unicron, and only two of its inhabitants escape by shuttle-craft.

Wait! Two? Don't Hot Rod and Kup only meet Kranix in their prison cell on Quintessa? Yes - but before that, as they're being lead into the judge's chambers, a Lithone is judged guilty and dumped into the Sharkticon pit. Why does this matter? Because it's the only other NAMED Lithone - Arblus!

[​IMG]

Yes, like Kranix, Arblus survived the destruction of Lithone only to be captured and excuted by the Quintessons. But didn't Arblus get killed by Unicron? We heard his death scream!, you might say. Ah, there was a scream, there was a death... but it wasn't Arblus. We can SEE the Lithone in the escape ship that Unicron eats - and, as one can see from the images above and below, it's not Arblus. No pointy shoulders. No weird fins on forearms.

[​IMG]

Now, Arblus by trade is pretty obscure. Here then is Arblus' Marvel model from the Transformers Universe books, with his correctly-colored Movie model from the Japanese G1 Character Archive Book. And from the recent TFTM comic adaption by IDW, where, uh... he's colored as the wrong Lithone entirely. Oops.

[​IMG]

But this is not the end of our Lithone-quest. Years ago, when frame-by-framing the film on VCR, I noticed something... weird... on Lithone. Not the little kids running around, no. As Unicron is attacking the planet, we see THIS guy.

[​IMG]

He doesn't match the aesthetic of any other Lithone - in fact, he looks like a hardsuit from Bubblegum Crisis, except that series didn't start until 1987. Is he Lithone's superhero, who couldn't do anything in the face of the devourer of worlds? Who knows.

Further Lithone weirdness? Why not!

The awesome Japanese guidebook Transformers: Generations shows a pair of female Lithone character models. But... neither of them match the two female Lithones we see in the movie itself! The ones in the film are far less detailed, for one.

[​IMG]

However, at least one of those models didn't go unused - it somehow made its way to a Season 3 animation studio, where it was used for Wreck-Gar's "Junkion Lady" from The Big Broadcast of 2006!

[​IMG]

Thus ends what may be the most comprehensive look at species that was snuffed out in about two minutes.

2. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Weird and obscure. Thanks for the little-known details and observations.

3. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Unicron, look! It's Arblus!

4. The Phazer

The Phazer Well-Known Member

Wouldn't the populace of Lithone be known as Lithonians rather than Lithones?

Anyway, very good. Still think the movie preview figures make reasonable Lithonians. I like the idea that the guy who looks a bit like Kicker is a superhero who just gets horribly killed.

Phazer

5. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I take out my hats to you for the details and the er, research. Kinda of cool to learn where the design of Wreakgar's main squeeze came from!

6. Monzo

Monzo Weirdest Fan Experience

News Credits:
    Marvel's Transformers: Universe entries for Arblus and Kranix use "Lithones" as the plural form of the race, so I used that.

http://www.ntfa.net/universe/english/index.php?act=view&char=Arblus

http://www.ntfa.net/universe/english/index.php?act=view&char=Kranix

7. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Thx for the lil info cource.

8. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Damn dude thats pretty interesting. You should add the pic from Kranix's MTMTE profile that shows his space-shuttle-thing alt mode!

9. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

Nice work! Very interesting!

10. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    The Lithone Superhero guy looks kinda like the main character from Machine Robo Revenge of Chronos. That's what leapt into my mind looking at it and although the design isn't exact it is fairly close.

11. The Phazer

The Phazer Well-Known Member

12. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Waitaminute waitaminute...

The Marvel Universe profile says Lithones transform? That really rubs me the wrong way for some reason...

13. Kranix2k

Kranix2k Spare me this mockery!! TFW2005 Supporter

Ok, so I'm a bit confused -

Basically what you're saying is there is a major animation gaff where Kranix is actually the one that got eaten although its assumed that Orbulus was Unicron chowder but somehow both wind up on Quintessa anyway, where both get executed?

If thats true, its funny that no matter the flub, they both wound up dying in the end. I wonder if the people involved in the movie ever saw that and went "Oh crap what a goof, but hey it followed the plan for them to both be dead anyway so maybe no one will notice!" :lolol 

P.S. does this also mean I need to change my title to something like "Daddy Died Twice" or something like that? :D 

14. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I think he was implying it was a random Lithoinian (that for you Phazer;) ) that got killed trying to escape, neither Kranix or Arblus

15. Kranix2k

Kranix2k Spare me this mockery!! TFW2005 Supporter

Hmmm, maybe so, but the "random lithonian" in the escape ship looks a lot like Kranix.

16. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I just wanna know how Unicron is so good at sneaking up suddenly on Lithone and other planets and eating them. It's like everyone was looking the wrong way for a few hours, then look back and "holy crap! Where'd that come from?"

Uni's like that "sidler" guy from that Seinfeld episode. :)