Secret Invasion

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by NGW, Apr 2, 2008.

1. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Just picked up #1 today, haven't read much of it (I'm a couple of pages in), and I'm digging it so far.

There were a couple variant covers. The one I had is a black cover with just a white box instead of art, the standard cover had a bunch of skrulls as some of the heroes, and there was another (can't quite recall the art) but it was $60.

Just figured we could use a discussion topic for the event. Also, when is the next issue due out, next month?

2. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What is the deal with the white box variant? Is it supposed to mean something? The guy at my comic shop said "If you buy it we'll draw a picture for you in the box." Needless to say I flipped through it and put it back on the shelf. Looks like the usual Bendis House of M-ish crapfest.

3. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I'm none too sure what the deal with the cover is, I think it just kinda goes with the whole unknowing-ness of the invasion or something. Though Marvel certainly hasn't been up to snuff as of late, I really wanted to give Secret Invasion a shot as I think it could turn out interesting.

4. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Read the issue and enjoyed it. It wasn't spectacular but wasn't House of M either. Also, the Skrull reveals shocked me.

Spoiler
    Jarvis, Dum Dum Dugan, and Hank Pym were all skrulls. I wonder how long Jarvis and Hank have been. I can see Hank recently doing it because he just recently reverted to Yellowjacket again. Also him being pro regi was good because it meant that he could place skrulls everywhere as well as monitor all superheroes.

5. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

I liked it, too. The reveals that Wreckgar spoiler-texted, the WTF 'reveal' that could go 38 different ways, and the material in the back that hints at how most of the recent 'events' will tie together here, even including Annihilation.

Some of Marvels recent events have been good, some not so much...but all probably better than say, Secret Wars II. This one looks to be lotsa fun IMO.

6. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'll buy the trade if Spidey ends up being a Skrull.

7. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Finished the issue.

I enjoyed it. It's probably on par with what I was expecting from it as far as whether I thought it was good or not.

Definitely gonna pick up the rest of the issues as they come out. Quite interested to see how other events will connect into this.

8. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Mary Jane was a skrull so it turns out OMD worked towards our favor! So is the new Harry! ZOMG FAST RETCON PROBLEM SOLVING!

Haha. I skimmed through it. Who the hell are the 70's super heroes in the books, skrulls too? Dimensional time warping accident where the present heroes meet their old selves?

I have a feeling Iron man will end up skrulling out. Just don't let Captain America to have been a skrull. Please do not interfere with teh Brubaker!

9. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    It's been said before that Stark is not a skrull, and that Civil War was not the result of skrull activity.

10. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

supposedly the blank covers are for when you go to conventions and such and see if you can get a custom cover made....

forgot where i read about it though.

11. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    That is rather interesting. May have to bring the issues I have when I go to SDCC this summer.

12. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

the ending made me say HOLY SHIT.

I will GLADLY buy all of this if it fixes all issues I had with marvel over the recent years.

13. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Wow.

14. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Meh.

I'm not going to get all hyped about it. House of M's first issue was pretty good. Civil War's first issue was pretty good. World War Hulk's first issue was pretty good.

All those series ended up being total crap. This one probably will too. I hope it's not, but I'm just not optimistic this time.

15. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Do you have a link to that second part? I remember reading that Tony was definitely NOT a Skrull, but I don't recall hearing that Civil War wasn't a result of Skrull activity. I has serious suspicions that the "mother" who egged Tony on through the whole thing is a Skrull.

16. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

This question was sort of covered by Bendis in an interview over at Newsarama a while back. They asked him how far back, the "earliest piece", this storyline goes back to and he told them back to Avengers: Disassembled. That being the case, the Skrull's have probably been manipulating events in their favor ever since.

17. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    i just finished it, and totally dug it, for the most part. spoilers ahead...though maybe the thread title should just be changed to allow spoilers everywhere...unless is something that hasnt come out yet...but anyway hank pym wasnt a surprise at all, but that guy walking into the baxter building then changing to sue was awesome!!! and i have no cluse about those other heroes...skrull trick? alternate universe? who knows...
    i'm curious to see where this goes, and really hope it just gets better...

my only real issue was it was the thunderbolts, cuz from the look of it, this story has to be pre-caged angels, which is kinda frustrating...

stupid fat joey Q said in the big thing at the end of the first issue that the skrulls are involved, but just not how we think...

18. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Here's what I'm guessing. All those "classic" heroes that showed up are skrulls that think they're the real deal. They were brainwashed to think so, and because of that, ended up escaping from "skrull captivity." Either that, or they were allowed to escape to cause confusion.

It also seems skrull hank might be regretting things. It looks like he didn't really want to do what he did. Maybe Hank's personality is coming through? At least that was the impression I got.

Also, what's with the code word thing, "He loves you." It appears to be a blatant clue of some sort. But can't figure out what the hell it means.

19. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I liked the comic and the coordinated attack by the Skrulls. However: We just had an alien invasion in War World Hulk. Why wasn't the 50 state initiative and everyone on standby.

Hulk had the balls to say he was coming, and everyone was unprepared. Skrulls just attack and everyone is still unprepared. No one is learning.

Still I hope a lot of characters are messed with and that this story has a good ending. Enjoy.

20. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Stand by... for a secret invasion? One that's been in effect for, possibly 40 years?