Secondary lines—taking the lead?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by LCDR Blindside, Jul 11, 2012.

1. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    Lately, I've been noticing many users here preferring not the main lines we've had lately, but rather the more child-oriented collectibles, for lack of a better term. Bot Shots, the Kreons, Rescue Bots—they are all getting a lot of attention, even if it's not being broadcast.

What do you think? Do you take greater pleasure in Transformers that are less than conventional? Why do you think others do it?

2. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Personally, I can't stand them.

I don't even really like the Prime figures anymore.

3. Kaiwera05

Kaiwera05 Soundwave Enthusiast

Ebay:
    I like the Bot Shots because they're cheap and fun to mess around with, and the KRE-O's because I love building LEGO-style stuff. I just buy what I want.

4. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Beats me. I don't really dislike KREOs or Botshots, but I'm pretty happy with the mainline and I intend to focus on that. Don't really have the resources or -mainly- display space to collect everything. Though I'd really like to just get some Kreos and make my own custom builds.

5. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    I'm only buying the translucent Bot Shots. Other than that it's just the main lines for me.

6. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

It's always nice to have some form of variety when collecting Transformers. I like that kids and collectors alike have a choice with their purchases. If the Prime or DOTM lines don't sate their collecting tastes, then they can venture into other areas (Bot Shots, Rescue Bots, Kre-O, etc.). For me, I'm not big on the Kre-O sets, but I love the Kreons they come with.

7. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    price, availability, variety.

though I'm not sure you could say kreo's and botshots are strictly child-oriented. I'm just into the super deformed style and it's cool we have a couple lines of TF's that are kinda like that now.

I collected all the TF mighty muggs too since they were kinda the same style. I just enjoy it.

8. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    I like the style of the botshots and I am going out to buy the upcoming kreons packages.
    I also buy cyberverse over the main line. The main line is pretty much focusing on stupid gimmicks and I'm more into style and engineering.

9. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    I was gonna include Cyberverse, but I feel it qualifies as a "main" line, what with the homogenous designs and all.

10. The Bucket Kitten

The Bucket Kitten Meow... TFW2005 Supporter

As with most lines, I only focus on the main line. The Secondary lines don't really catch my attention.

11. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Pretty much my thoughts.

12. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    cant stand the botshots or Kreos, yet I collected the Mighty muggs

13. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm surprised by how much attention those get. Not in a BAD way, just, to each their own. Cute homages are nice, but they won't make me buy a kid's collectible game or Lego-compatible minifigs. Those just aren't what I buy.

14. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    I like the Bot Shots because they're fairly cheap, have a wide variety of characters from all generations and it gives me something for my nephew and I to do when he visits. Kre-O is alright, its fun building the different modes since I also love Legos but I can't say I like them as much a year later. I have them displayed at work which is a good conversation piece but at the same time they were a lot of money for a lot less satisfaction than a mainline TF. Current mainline toys are pretty hit and miss what with the current downsizing and simplifying with less quality materials.

15. Bumblebee765

Bumblebee765 Wrecker

News Credits:
    I prefer the main line, and the only Bot Shots I plan to get are the Movieverse Wreckers. For Kre-O I only plan to get that single pack Sunstorm Kreon, and the Mirage set. :wink: 

16. Ultra BuckNutz

Ultra BuckNutz Sharkticon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like Kreos because I like Legos (and, like everyone else around here, because I'm a dork). Otherwise, I'm pretty much just into the main lines.

17. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

Botshots is a quirky, cute little line on the cheap (I just get favorite characters)......but they're no substitute for main lines, which has always been my focus because of the detail and closer accuracy.

It's just that, with this new direction, I'm passing on most of the main line stuff these days. I've found Cyberverse more satisfying to collect, and that's saying a lot.

18. Pencoin

Pencoin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've been thinking the same thing recently. Botshots has given us all the seekers, a bunch of Autobot cars, the movie wreckers, heck even Nemesis Prime! Kre-O's given us Waspinator! Predaking! Autotroopers! Amazing.

The PRID Toys can't even give us all the characters in the show and good luck getting anything when all most people see is a wall of Bumblebees. The FOC toys are just awful as is.

We likely won't get any toys of the current comic series or games like TFUniverse at least for a long while, I'm happy to make do with the Kreon's wonderful character selection.

19. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    it's hard to say.

Out of the 3 lines you mentioned only botshots has had any new product this year.

Rescuebots might have gained popularity from the show but now i think people are disappointed that these toys looking nothing like their on-screen appearances. It's almost as hard to deal with their case ratios as it is Prime toys

Transformers Kreo has spent the last 7 months on deep clearance so the fact that people are finally buying them is hardly a success.

Botshots are cool but some people already seam to be getting line fatigue due to the heavy repetitiveness of the design and engineering.

Prime honestly feels like a subline too: only 4 waves in on deluxes with multiple repaints, only 4 voyagers in 6 months, no leaders. Despite the BB swarm problem I really don't think it's that hard to keep up with the prime toyline aside from the vehicon issue. It gives time for the mind and wallet to wander

20. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

I would be one of them, if I were into Botshots beyond favorite characters. Buying into the line would get repetitive quick. They just don't hold that much appeal for me.