Second Life?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Shipwreck, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

I was reading over in a U2 forum about this thing called http://secondlife.com/ I can't tell if its some sort of game... or getting lost in an alternate reality in a Sims type world. Has anyone ever heard of this?

2. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Yeah I've heard of it. Apparently is quite popular, but Im a little confused how you pay for things in the game, so I never played.

3. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

It's popular with coders, mainly. You can play for free, but to do much with the game you need to buy "land". It's not really so much a game as it is a gigantic sandbox where you wander around, mess with stuff, buy sell and trade things, or create them yourself. You get to add your own scripts when creating objects, so they can do whatever you want them to do if you can code it.

4. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

It's also a haven for cybersex junkies and yiffers. It's something I've been looking at, but not gone in to, as part of my job and it's terrifying.

5. flamepanther

Don't forget the yiffing cybersex junkie coders! Those are the especially scary ones.

6. McBradders

:( 

7. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    It is a multi-tiered subscription-based free-from 3D MMORPG. A friend of mine did her senior thesis on the MMORPG culture, Second Life in particular, and yeah, it's all about cybersex.

It has its own economy based on the Linden, Second Life's form of currency, which can be used to purchase goods (anatomically correct avatars) and services (ways to use anatomically correct avatars) and they have their own currency exchange, complete with daily fluxuating exchange rate (just like the real world) where you can turn US dollars into Lindens, in case the weekly stipend of Linden the game gives you runs out, and you need to buy more goods and services (for the cybersexin').

8. flamepanther

There are other things you can do, of course. One of my brother's college buddies is building a gigantic gachapon machine and various objects from Sonic The Hedgehog, and has his own private jet. My brother, who is effectively squatting on his friend's land, plans on building one of the airships from Super Mario Bros. 3 and flying it around, complete with wrench-throwing moles. In the meantime, he has built a wooden sheep, and catapulted it into a neighbor's property by mistake. I... don't play.

9. McBradders

The best thing I found about Second Life was some guy who made a giant ball, spent ages on the physics of it. Textured it with the Tubgirl picture and rolled it down hills at roleplayers.

:lolol 

10. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

Can you kill other people's characters? Or program yourself with mutant powers?

11. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    That is fucking AWESOME.

I want video!

12. flamepanther

Yes, but only on land where the owner has designated that damage is allowed. There's np real penalty for dying though. You can't exactly program yourself with innate mutant powers (although everyone starts with the ability to fly) but you can create an item that gives you powres when you wear it.

13. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

My wife's friend plays it. I told her that you need to have a "first life" to play it.