Second Life (VR world)

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by 80Datsun210, Sep 21, 2007.

1. 80Datsun210

80Datsun210 Well-Known Member

I'm curious as to whether anyone here has any experience with "Second Life." It doesn't have anything to do with Born-Again Christians, but is some kind of virtual reality world, reminiscent of that described in Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash. In a course I'm taking on distance learning I saw briefly a demo of a virtual classroom being tested for a business class. It looked fascinating! I visited the website and am even more intrigued.

Has anyone tried it?

2. meetoblivion

meetoblivion aka chazzy

Ebay:
    i did.

i have a decent computer, it ran very slow. a former coworker of mine is somewhat addicted to it.

3. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Didn't we have a whole thread on this before?

4. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yes. It's terrible. Ask Twin Twist about the time he got knocked off a cliff by a giant penis.

5. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

It's every extreme social deviant's fantasy land.

6. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

We're talking about in the game, right?

7. Brawny

Brawny Well-Known Member

meh, cool, but I tried it. Within the first few minutes of logging in, I was hit on by another guy, and the told to "f^@k off" by some random person. Sorry, I'll stick to warcraft for my online addiction.
    Although, the game does offer some cool concepts though. Very Sim-ish.

8. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

No, he met someone from the game in real life, and things didn't work out. He has been soured on it ever since.

9. Turbocharger

Turbocharger We should get more letter

I've played it with a friend before. It sucks. It's slow as hell for me, and there seem to be no rules. Hence the attacks by oversized phalli and such.

10. 80Datsun210

80Datsun210 Well-Known Member

I've tried it out now and wandered around a little bit. It seems to me less like a "game" than an alternate world, unless you look at all life as a kind of game. "All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players."

I've been told it has a steep learning curve, and having spent an hour or two there I can see how that would be. I want to get to the point where I can interact meaningfully with other people, like have real conversations, maybe attend a lecture or two. I see a lot of potential for this as a learning tool, and a great way to connect with people from all over (much like the TFW2005 boards are a nice way to connect with people from all over). :)  I have not left the "orientation island," because I haven't figured out how to smile and nod yet! :lol  I've run into a bunch of other newbies and we're all wandering around like freshmen, wondering what we're supposed to do and where we're supposed to go and how to get there. Experimenting. That can take a while. Plus there's a lot of adjusting your appearance. It's fun to play with how you look, but it takes time. And I'm not ready to defend myself against giant penises. :lol  There was one guy who ran into me like a flying tackle (literally flying, because you can do that in Second Life), and it moved me back a few feet and was rather off-putting. I was like, "Hey, watch it!" But I think it was because he hadn't figured out how to move yet. I walked into the wall a whole lot, myself.

Once I leave the island I'll probably be overwhelmed by some of the stuff y'all have mentioned.

I did a search for "Second Life" before starting this thread and nothing came up.

11. Talathia

Talathia TFW's Cool Little Heathen

I've tried it. It's alright.

I lost a pretty good friend to it though; she met her "Second Life" boyfriend on there and has stopped talking to me or even know I exist, along with any of her other on-line friends who don't spend hours upon hours on Second Life.

Stay away from the "furries". That's not a warning. That's an order.

Like I said, it's alright. But I didn't care too much for it. If anyone on here wants to hang out on there, I'm up for it.

I wonder if anyone built some Transformers avs since the movie came out..

12. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Second life exists for perverts with fetishes they can't possibly follow through with in real life.

You want to climb inside a giant woman's vagina or get raped by a unicorn and have its babies? Second Life is for you. You want to hang out and talk with people from all over the world? Just get IRC.

13. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I tried it once, 5 minutes later I uninstalled the program.

14. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

:lolol 

All true.

15. ABH1979

ABH1979 Blue Boba Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

Twitter:
    Pinterest:
    Never played Second Life, but I do play First Life, and it's awesome.

http://www.getafirstlife.com/

The graphics are awesome, everything looks (feels, smells, tastes, sounds) so real.

It's totally free to play. Everyone should give it a try!

16. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    And it has the longest draw distance I have ever seen. I went to this zone called “The Grand Canyon” and it was like this massive trench in the ground that was crazy deep with a river at the bottom and you could see all the way down. It’s was amazing.

17. ABH1979

ABH1979 Blue Boba Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

Twitter:
    Pinterest:
    Yeah, it's crazy realistic, bro. I heard that if you kill someone in First Life you can actually go to prison, for years. They need to balance the classes a little bit, though. Some people get to be born into rich families while others get stuck in poverty. You can never re-roll, you're stuck with what the big GM gives you.

18. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

I gave Second Life a try when I read an article about people being obsessed with it and acting as if it literally was their real life. After about 10 minutes in there, I had no clue how someone could become addicted to that and quickly deleted it.

19. 333HE

333HE HERSHEY'S GONNA EAT JOO.

From what I've heard, some funky-ass shit goes down in that game. And not the good kind. I'd stay away from it if I were you.

20. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I keep seeing people on TV claiming that black characters are always being nerfed, is that true?