Seattle Seahawks Offer Viking's Burleson BEST CONTRACT EVER

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jux, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

ESPN link

This will only seem funny and oh-so-ironic if you've been following the NFL offseason. Long story short, the Vikings signed a Seahawks player to an offer sheet, and the Hawks had 7 days to match the same terms. Unfortunately, there was a "poison pill" in the contract that the Vikings offered, which made it impossible for Seattle to match, because they would've had to guarantee the entire contract (7 years, $49 million). Seattle challenged the poison pill term in arbitration, and was denied.

So what does Seattle do? They sign Vikings WR Nate Burleson to an offer sheet worth the exact amount (7 yrs, $49 mil), and toss in two of the best "poison pills" they could've thought of, almost guaranteeing that Minnesota can't match, and basically saying "fuck you" in the process.

2. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    so wait... they're going to make Burleson the highest paid reciever ever?!

3. Jux

The humor in it is that the contract for Seattle includes only 5.25 mil in guaranteed money, a modest amount. It could of course later be reworked, or Burleson could be cut.

But the poison pills included mean that if the Vikings want to match, the entire 7 years and $49 million dollars would be guaranteed, which would put Burleson as one of the top paid WR's.

It's Seattle's way of saying "neener neener" after losing out on Hutchinson, the player the Vikings signed from Seattle using a similar type of poison pill contract.

4. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    I want a receiver here in Philly but not that bad. Burleson numbers were bad. He caught only 30 passes for 328 yards and one touchdown last season. Plus he had injuries galore. This is the reason some teams will NEVER win a Super Bowl. They don't know how to spend there money.

5. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

Oooh that makes it pretty funny then. I knew the stuff with Hutchinson but missed that little tidbit.

High five seattle!

6. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

Burleson is a fine reciever, but no where near what Seattle is trying to make him appear to be. Vikings still win, they got the better of the 2 players.

7. Jux

It's really a good deal for Seattle, because only five million is guaranteed. Plus, they really stick it to Minnesota, who would have to guarantee the ENTIRE 49 million in order to keep him (which is a ridiculous amount).

I mean, how often does a team get a chance to sign a solid player to boost their offense at a decent amount AND tell another team "fuck you!"