Seattle Murder has DDO Connection

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Rhinox, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Rhinox

Rhinox We bring surreal to life

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't know if anyone else here plays Dungeons and Dragons Online, but I figured this was worth talking about.

Seattle Police Examine Dungeon And Dragons In Connection With Murder - G4tv.com

Long story short, a particular waste of flesh strangled, raped, and murdered his 16 year old developmentally challenged neighbor, and then ran home to play his online video games. Prosecutors are now looking to see whether there's an in game connection to his actions.

I play DDO myself. It's a fun game and I'll be damned if I pay for the priviledge of playing Warcraft. There is no gratuitous violence, no drugs, no sex whatsoever, nothing that could even begin to inspire a rape/murder combo.

Most of us here are children of the 80s. I can't be the only one to recall the massive wave of hysteria and outright stupidity that sprang up against Dungeons and Dragons. There was a fairly famous "Chick Tract" that warned of the horrible dangers of the game. That it would lead to kids selling their souls and human sacrifice, the whole works. It's all bunk, but to those with their heads up their asses (my mother) it made perfect sense.

In these times with all the various insanities rolling around in the public conscience, I do fear that there may be another wave of anti D&D rhetoric inspired by this one fucktard who decided to do something incredibly stupid.
    Few things I hate worse than something being blamed for someone else's stupidity. Be it music, video games, the usual suspects, theres very little than angers me more than blaming all those nothings for the sheer stupidity of some kids.

2. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

Theres no connection. Just random fact that he had played the game to ease his guilt/conscience before turning himself in.

3. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

Living up his last name I see, I hope life ends very unpleasantly for him.

4. Keroshino

Keroshino OOGA, OOGA, OOGA-CHAKA!!!

News Credits:
    don't know why...but i am reminded of this

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  5. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    It should that movie was based on that hysteria over D&D.

They will more likely blame it on Video games than D&D as so few people these days remember D&D while all know about video games.

6. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I fail to see the logic in these things. 1000 people play a game. If one of those people do something stupid it must be because of the game despite the fact that 999 others did nothing unusual.

7. Rhinox

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I could take this political with that statement, Planetjacker, but I'll respect the rules. ;) 

I just really hate it when ancillary, trivial crap is used as some sort of explaination/excuse for abhorent behavior.

8. shritis

shritis New Member

they should go by percentages. how many people have officially gone full psycho and done something terrible while also being involved in a game or community that specializes in something?

what groups have had more than one or two people flip their lids and do something to hurt the people around them? if the community has a high % of offenders, start investigating it.

9. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Here's one for ya,

How many folks who play non-violent games have done horrible acts? Where's that statistic?

10. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

D&D has as much connection to him killing someone as Marilyn Manson had with Columbine

11. Rhinox

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Good God, someone had to really dig to bring this thread back up.