Season 3's Dark Awakening.......

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Autovolt 127, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    So Last night i was watching G1 and i saw Dark Awakening for the first time and I honestly don't really know what to say other than it's just weird how they brought Optimus Prime back as a zombie and to only kill him off at the end.

I think Season 3 was trying to toy with us, After the 86 film everything started going downhill from there. I mean Season 3 was a weird and wacky train ride from hell, I mean their were some really good episodes (like my personal fav "Fight or Flee) but this episode really shows the dark and gruesome side of G1 we weren't ready to be exposed to.

I think this episode was actually a Dark Awakening for me, I realized that 1. Rodimus was entireley pointless, he never got any real sort of charecter devlopment, infact i would rather saying undevelopment as bad what had happened to likes of Energon Demolisher. I understood they wanted Rodimus to be imperfect but they make him sulk about being never as good as a leader than Optimus and 2. The whole episode is errie in entirley how the Rodimus had so much faith in Prime that he doesn't find it at all strange how Optimus is suddenly back from the dead and Rodimus just willy-nilly gave his position and Matrix back, I understand he wasn't the greatest leader but it's like the writers wanted to didn't wanna give Rodimus a chance and also who thought when Prime fought Rodimus at the end just looked sick and wrong looking.

I also thought that Prime's death at the end was actually sadder and more heroic than his death in the 86 film but of course at the end of certain versions of the episode they say stay tuned because "Is this really the end of Optimus Prime? Wait for his truimphant return or something like that." and Eventually Optimus Prime came back for the 3rd time and everything went back to normal except it really doesn't explain how Quintessons could only fix up Optimus Prime and the contnuity between Dark Awakening and Return of OP is real screwed up as Optimus Prime was blown up and yet he's back in decent shape in his return,I know G1's Contunuity's pretty bad but still......

Considering Season 3, This episode was alright.

2. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Zombie Prime was messed up, far more impactful than zombie Cliffy in Prime.

3. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Nah, Zombie Cliffjumper was waaaaay scarier Foster. I didn't see that comming at all, but here it's kinda obvious it would have happened.

4. scorpio-prime

scorpio-prime Dreamer with fists

I heard that originally, Dark Awakening was meant to air earlier in the season, with Rodimus saying something touching at the end like 'Farewell Optimus, I'll always remember you...' as the image of Optimus is painted across the screen, but the producers felt this would be far too much for the target audience to bear, and so held it off until the very end of the season when he was resurrected, thus rendering the whole exercise entirely pointless.

still, I'm glad I never saw that episode as a kid, it would have broke my fucking heart.

5. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Well, I was ten.

6. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Yeah, you can't really beat Zombie Cliffjumper screaming as he was sliced in half! :lol 

Although IMO Zombie Prime was just sick. I mean, if you;re gonna bring Prime back, for the love of god, DON'T do it as a Zombie :thumbdown  That was just to mess with people.

7. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Agreed, I never saw that coming as a child. Optimus was such a special character to most Transformer fans so turning him evil was crazy to me. Cliffjumper... well, I didn't really care since he wasn't anything special. Just some Red Autobot that was voiced by the Rock.

8. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    And Cliff wasn't sentient. He didn't realize what he became. Prime did, which was more poignant.

9. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

It did air early in the season.

It was the 8th episode of season 3 to air.
    No, they aired it as you claimed earliy in the season.

They "re-aired" it at the end , the day before "TRoOP" aired, with added narration.

still, I'm glad I never saw that episode as a kid, it would have broke my fucking heart.[/QUOTE]

10. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I never saw the movie in theaters. I came to find out about it at school when I asked other kids what was up with Rodimus and Galvatron being leader. So I never actually saw Prime die until Dark Awakening. I cried much the way everyone else said they did during the movie. To this day, DA is one of my fav episodes.

11. terry981

terry981 Well-Known Member

I thought DA was touching, thank God the Quintessons knew how to revive Transformers, so that gave the writers the touch up they needed to revive Prime. Just wish they could had revived Iron-hide and the other old-timers. The Japanese were probably pissed off that Prime (Convoy) was revived. I'm pretty sure most of you know what happened to him in Headmasters. Without spoiling much, what happened to him there didn't make much sense since Galvatron was in there too.

12. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

I, for one, am actually thankful that something as macabre and impactful was ever allowed to be aired. As jarring and upsetting as it was to me as a child, it was something that truly entertained me and that is something I have never forgotten - the emotional impact of Optimus regaining his mental faculties just enough to sacrifice himself once more for the good of the universe was frustrating, but I can't deny that it had me glued to the screen, and several moments in the episode are indellible and totally iconic. One of those things that transcends the simple format for which it was written.