Season 3 turning me off collecting

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by newbielives, Oct 4, 2011.

1. newbielives

newbielives Well-Known Member

I've never really like rodimus but since tru mp rodimus was out I thought I would skip to season 3 to see maybe if I knew the character better I would like him more and buy him up while he was at retail prices.
    However after watching the first five episodes, it just feels like one big toy commercial made for kids. there just doesn't seem to be that Charm that makes all the silliness forgivable. The internal bickering of megaton and starscream and the awesomeness of optimus prime made the illogical choice for tactics etc still entertaining.
    Season 3 on the other hand makes feel like I'm too old to be watching this shit and kind of puts me of the idea of collecting more tfs.
    Does season 3 actually get better?

2. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 I'm actually 16.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It gets better after the first five episodes but don't watch "Carnage in C-Minor" unless you're big on Soundwave since it's the one episode where he plays a large role."The Burden Hardest to Bear","Call of the Primitives", and "The Ultimate Weapon" are the best of season 3 if you ask me.

3. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Watch "The Return of Optimus Prime". That usually helps.

4. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    No. Read the Marvel G1 comics. Better writing, plot, characterization, and less overall stupidity.

5. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    Stop while you're ahead. Season 3 was pretty bad for me, but it would never stop me collecting. The cartoon gave me the voices and the sound effects, but the TF universe for me was always in the comics.

6. anotheran

anotheran Old skooler

I hated season 3. I went back to watch it and it still sucks to me. I did go back to watch some season 2 to wash out the bad taste in my mouth.

It sucked but the TF 1986 movie wasn't bad.

7. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    It has a few interesting episodes. Seaosn 4 however with its Headmaster and targetmasters are great.

ppl bitch about nebulons..but it is in faqt good imo.

8. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Whatever you say about Season 3, it was far better than Headmasters. That show defines the flat character.

9. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

The toys didn't really appeal to me as a kid back then. to me even now, tf needs an alt mode I can identify with in real life. Season 1 and 2 were the best, toy wise. Season 1 autobots to be specific.

10. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As a kid, I watched them all and like all the seasons. Now, as an adult, I might like some season 1 and 2 characters better, but they all show the same level of toy pandering to me. I actually just tried watching a season 1 episode, and Prime was so busted up by the easiest things that it was tough to watch.

None of that, however, effects my collecting. Well, maybe when I was a kid and the long lasting impression it's given me, but a figure I think looks good I will get regardless of their actions in the cartoons.

11. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Season three is pretty horrible. Let's face it. The movie pretty well killed the cartoon, and season three was just dragging the corpse through the streets.

12. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    You know, I've always thought this episode title should've ended in a question mark for the sake of well, you know, not serving as it's own spoiler, especially since I remember it specifically being previewed.

13. Billzilla

Billzilla Skeptic

News Credits:
    Season 3 is really uneven, but I've always really enjoyed it. Five Faces of Darkness is straight up terrible, though. Starscream's Ghost, Big Broadcast of 2006, Dark Awakening, Call of the Primitives, and Return of Prime all jump to mind (though I'm aware Dark Awakening is a rather divisive topic).

In some ways it's better than earlier seasons. With a generally smaller main cast, there's a little more focus (there's still a bunch of nobodies like the 86 Minibots, but they show up for one scene and then vamoose whereas in Season 2 they would have gotten a whole boring episode about them)... a less Earth-centric storyline..

Then again there's also the bad parts, like all the Dinobots other than Grimlock losing most of their screentime and personality, while Grimmy himself becomes a mentally challenged catchphrase-spewer.. Rodimus being less inspiring than Optimus (but extra points for working that into his character).. generally less threatening Decepticons.. Daniel and Wheelie.. it's definitely a mixed bag, but I've got a soft spot in my heart for it.

14. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I got the boxset from my cousin for my birthday and probably only watched 5 episodes in total. As much as I like the toys, I think the cartoon series as a whole is pretty terrible now that I am an adult. Not just season 3, but the whole thing. I just cant get into it, but I still love the new incarnations of the toys.

15. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    To keep this toycentric, I'd still HIGHLY recommend that you pick up Generations Scourge, Kup and Blurr, RTS Wreck-Gar and Cyclonus, and either Classics or Henkei Rodimus. Regardless of your feelings on season three. These are some of the best G1 updates around.

16. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

If season 3 had better animation, it wouldn't seem half as bad. I actually really like it, as most of the stories are a lot more 'sci-fi' than what had gone before and a good deal darker to boot. It does suffer from a lack of Optimus Prime (until he 'returns', obviously) but there is Sky Lynx to make up for it, so...

17. CURAMEN

CURAMEN LOS ANGELES COLLECTIVE

News Credits:
    These cartoons were never meant to be taken seriously as they were targeted for children and to also sell toys, so if you're watching them now as an adult and expect to be amazed by 80's style story-telling... You're definitely going to be let down.

Season 3 introduces a lot of cool looking and new characters, but most of the episodes are forgettable at best.

There are some episodes that are tongue-in-cheek entertaining, like the Return of Optimus Prime and Rebirth, but a majority of the episodes will leave you with WTF?!

Enjoy it for what it’s worth and don’t take it too seriously.

After all, it’s just a cartoon from the 80’s that a lot of people had and still have strong attachments to because it reminds them of their childhood and a time when watching afternoon cartoons after school and playing with toys were all that really mattered.

18. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Eh. Season 3 just makes me mad that there isn't a Voyager sized Classics Galvatron.

19. Shockwave69

Shockwave69 Supreme Leader

The Return of Optimus Prime Part 1 and 2 are the only reasons to watch season 3, The Rebirth Part 1,2,3 just sucked for me

20. Geterman

Geterman Second Coming of Primus TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You sir hit the nail right on the head. Like he said it is a 80's cartoon. Cartoons in the 80's didn't have season long story arcs (Except for Gundam). They pretty much show episode after episode as if the events in the last episode didn't exist thus creating continuity potholes like the controversal origins of the constructicons and Megatron. I wish they would redo G1 with todays cartoon architype. But season 3 is not that bad, the animation is terrible for the most part, the Dinobots have gone from savages to children and Rodimus Prime is the biggest emo p**sy I've ever seen in a leader. But they do try to connect episode together by recalling event in past episodes.