Season 2 Episode 10 Discussion - Armada

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Xaddion, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    Yes, it does. The Nemesis crashing could have been this real game changer because the Autobots would be able to attack the Decepticons whenever they want, and would basically raise the stakes.

But no, in the bloody preview clip, it is shown lifting off again and makes it crashing in the first place, entirely pointless.

Taking Airachnid off is a change, I'll give that. But the Autobots having her in the base, in stasis, will not matter. Why? Because she'll go where all of those stupid mcguffins are stored, which means we'll never see her.

Also, saying we'll see Wheeljack again "when the plot calls for him" really illustrates my biggest problem with Prime; the characters are treated like mere props, easily interchangeable.

Oh, I'm sorry, did you see them get in the ship? No, no one did. They probably all died when the Nemesis crashed. And even if they survived, they'll just be the new Vehicons, only weaker because trees can kill them; so they won't really matter.

2. Flashdisk

Flashdisk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The writer for this episode seems new. He'll probably improve over time. It's not bad considering this may be some of his first few works. I think it's good that new blood and ideas are introduced into Prime. Delving into cloning, showing Cybertronian genetics felt ambitious. Though it didn't hit the full effect due to lack of time and lack of exploration into its consequences and possible storylines, I like the attempt.

That said, I'm still hoping Marty Isenberg continues to write for Prime. Operation Bumblebee part 1 and Crossifre were some of the better episodes this season. With such a good hit rate, he may hit a home run sooner or later.

Also I think they should be more coordination between the writers. Since I think they're stepping on each other's toes at times. This is shown with the inconsistent power levels of the Insecticons and the character regression of both Arcee(during Crossfire) and Miko(during TMI).

3. Megabattimus

News Credits:
    If Marty can write another Operation Bumblebee Pt.1, then awesome. However, if he writes another Crossfire, then no thanks.

4. Flashdisk

News Credits:
    I really liked Crossfire. Why did you dislike it?

5. Megabattimus

News Credits:
    -It derailed Arcee's character development.
    -It made Airachnid too much of a bad ass.
    -It killed Breakdown off to demonstrate how "cool" Airachnid is.
    -Optimus pulls a gun on defeated Megatron, going against what he says earlier in the episode about that not being the hero thing to do.

It wasn't as bad as Armada, but it was nowhere near as good as Operation Bumblebee Pt.1.

6. Flashdisk

News Credits:
    Interesting. I guess we have different tastes. I also disliked Arcee's character derailment, but I liked the episode for the others.

I liked how it turned Airachnid into a very dangerous character. And I was hoping they would build up on it in future episodes.

I knew Breakdown had potential, but I also feel that that makes his loss even more shocking. To have such a young life with so much potential disappear just makes the wound fester and bleed. It's supposed to make people hate what happened. If it shocked, hurt and alarmed then I think it fulfills its purpose. I just wish they would build on it in future episodes.

As for Optimus change of heart. I guess he's changing. I like the idea that even Optimus isn't perfect, that one day he may be forced to second guess his actions. I like that at times he can make mistakes. I like the fact that we don't really know whether or not what he was doing was right or wrong. I like the idea that at times, he's just as lost as we are. And I like the idea that at times he will even regret his actions.

7. Megabattimus

News Credits:
    The thing with Airachnid, she was already dangerous. The show had already demonstrated that in Predatory and Crisscross, and I loved her for it. In Crossfire, it felt like the writers were trying shove her down our throats by having her kill Breakdown in the most "badass" way possible.

Breakdown's death just, I don't know. It came out of nowhere and there was no real payoff to it, making it incredibly pointless. Sure, you could argue his body is being used as Silas's new vessel, but that could have been done by having Mech abduct him and forcibly rewrite his personality, showing how evil Mech really are.

I get that it was meant to elicit an emotional response, but I was honestly more pissed at the way he died and less so that he was actually dead.

As for Optimus, I really disliked how quick he was pull his gun out and aim it at Megatron's head. To me, it really went against his character and what he stands for. Prime is meant to be a hero, and heroes don't get to choose who lives and who dies. So, to see him prepared to execute Megatron, really irked me and reminded me of Psycho Prime.

8. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Member of the Scrappy Doo Fan Club

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    If Optimus had killed Megatron, it could have ended the war.

9. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes.

I didn't see Megatron get in the ship either. It's just a minor continuity flub.

Do you believe that the Vehicons are also all dead? I didn't see any get in the ship, and many of them can't even fly.

Impossible. They were not on the surface of the ship when it crashed. They either flew away or they boarded the ship.

The trees thing is the wrongest thing that's ever been wrong, and I've seen it clarified many times, presumably for your oblivious benefit. Giving Megatron a new larger set of troops is something new, even if it's not some sort of Unicron-level game changer.

I remain perplexed why this show is held to the standards of a seasonal drama written for adults...although I guess that's actually a twisted compliment. Transformers shows are a delivery vehicle for awesome robot fighting, and some new fighters are on the board.

This is a feature, not a bug, and it plays into Optimus' continuing character arc. It is consistent with the principled decision he made to destroy Megatron for the good of Earth in One Shall Fall. However, this time he finds it more difficult because the emotion has cooled down and he is painfully aware of how killing Megatron goes against his other principles.

Oh wait. I forgot. Optimus is boring and there's nothing going on with his character. :lol 

Go pick a fight with someone who thinks the Autobots are too merciful, both of you think something's wrong with the show. (Where as I think that the tension the war puts on the Autobots' principles and their refuse to compromise them entirely is, of course, a feature.)

10. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Didn't he vow that, after he nearly murdered an innocent human child and gloated about it, Megatron needed to be destroyed.

Optimus wouldn't kill a defenceless Starscream, he had given those Vehicons the chance to stand down, he commended Bulkhead/Arcee for helping/sparing Breakdown/Airachnid. But this is MEGATRON, the worst of the worst, a monster who polluted his own planet with the blood of Unicron to get an army of zombies to bring destruction to the universe.

Megatron is beyond what Optimus is willing to tolerate; a irredemable monster who tried to ally with the Chaos Bringer just for power.

11. baggzey23

baggzey23 psn - baggzey23

News Credits:
    Cough *movieoptimus* excuse me anyway he could have done that on cybertron if it wasnt for his nature (im sure hes had more than 1 opportunity)

12. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    Joutouñnouieonbateo!!!!!

AMAZING EPISODE!!!! Man, I sure enjoyed it from beginning to end! :D  Well, I guess that Starscream will get a T-Cog after all, the ending was pretty funny.XD
    That b--- Airachnid will stay on stasis under Autobot watch. I was really hoping she died, she totally deserves it. ^^
    GREAT! Now MEgatron not only have Vehicons under his command but Insecticons as well!!!! :D 
    Sure an action pack episode!!!!! :bay 

13. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

This episode was off to a good start - a great WTF opening (I seriously thought I skipped something, especially when "Starscream" whipped out his arm cannons). And Starscream proves why I like the Decepticons over the Autobots - Starscream was being himself. Yeah, they always talk about how they'll try to seize the day, but that's what they do and who they are.

Then the Insecticon horde appears and OH GOD FUCKING DAMMIT...Optimus, don't make me say Kristen Stewart has more expressions and emotion than you.

A horde of Insecticons that you never knew about just cloud the sky, and all you can say is something about an uprising against Megatron - without changing the tone of your voice? Not even a widening of the eyes? A drop of the jaw?

Aside from that, this was a pretty good episode. They probably could have done more with the Insecticons, but hey, Megatron's army sure grew. Pretty hollow victory for Arcee because of that.

14. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Member of the Scrappy Doo Fan Club

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I'm sure he could have. They say war changes people, and maybe the war coming to Earth was just enough to push Prime into the "No mercy for Megatron" area.

15. CelticMutt

CelticMutt Herald of Thundercracker

None of that requires explaining, was explained in the episode, or will be explained in future episodes.

16. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 I'm actually 16.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This episode was disappointing and predictable, except for Airachnid being trapped in the Insecticon pod and being brought to base. That bitch deserved worse. Let's see...

Insecticons are weak as shit.
    Arcee sees Airachnid, she chases Airachnid down like a dog and spams alot of lasers.
    No Knockout.
    No Soundwave.
    No Dreadwing.
    Starscream's clones have all been terminated by the end of the episode.
    The clones were pointless and didn't do jackshit.
    Almost everything goes the way the Autobots wanted it to be.

I give this episode a 2 and a half out of 5.

17. HoneyPrime

HoneyPrime ♥♥ Smokescreen ♥♥

I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. I do admit the pace was fast and I had to watch it a second time to really absorb it all.

When Arcee went after Airachnid I said to myself "Oh god not again", but in the end she really showed she was learning and showed improvement. She did good. :thumbs2: 
    I don't see good things coming from keeping Airachnid at the Autobot base (if she is indeed kept there). Miko anyone?
    Starscream clones where just comical (in a good way). I was surprised they worked together instead of each one trying to lead and fighting amongst themselves for control. :lol 
    Bulkheads "Stealthy stealthy" was to funny.
    The Harbinger still being in sync with the Nemesis. Does that mean Starscream will always know where the Nemesis is now? /ponder
    All those Insecticons coming out of the cave like a huge swarm of bees gave me goosebumps. And now Megatron has them. Somebody is in deep sh*t now.
    The look on Bulkheads face when he ran into "Starscream" at the end of the show leaving the ship.
    What Starscream said when he killed the last clone. It got a good chuckle out of me.

Can't wait for next weeks episode.

18. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I hope the show isn't just going to spin it's wheels until the end of the season.

Oh and I did get the point Oh Optimus pulling his gun on Megatron and it did make sense in the context of the Crossfire episode.

I think the idea is that killing Megs is a war ending event killing Airachnid or Starscream when they are at your mercy is just revenge.

That was why the made a point to say they had no means to imprison anyone - well now they do they have several blank Insection stasis pods they can use.

I bet the Autobots won't recover and store any of those unopened insecticon stasis units, It would be rather cool though if the US Military got access to them and use them in a war against mech in someway.

19. SearchmanDS

SearchmanDS Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    To be fair, Optimus wanted to stop Airachnid. She was more or less following orders, even if it is personal.

20. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Rewatching the episode, the cloning animation was the funniest crappiest thing ever. They just... blink into Starscreams, like Pokemon evolution animation.