Sears Holdings Corp Closing 100-120 Sears and Kmart Stores in 2012

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Voiceroy, Dec 27, 2011.

1. xion14

xion14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Guess I got off lucky for now.

2. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    4 closing in Minnesota mine is not on it. i honestly would not have been much surprised if it was. Its traffic and sales have tanked since the Wal-mart Super Center hit town.

3. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    no closings in texas, alright

4. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    It's not the full list -- just the first 80 stores out of 100-120.

6 Kmarts closing so far in Georgia. Freaking 11 in Florida.

5. flik68

flik68 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i work for sears and thank goodness my job isnt on the list but i hope the ones who are find another job soon. sad that some ppl on here dont care about them just because they dont have a toy they want even though it affects a lot of ppl being able to put food on the table.

6. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

A tribute!

...though it appears that none of the 4 local K-marts I combined into one for that little story are slated for closing, except for the one that already closed a year ago. :D 

7. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    there goes our source for exclusive mini-con package sets in the future LOL

:bay 

8. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Funny thing was, K-Mart only opened up in OKC after all the Ventures stores closed and only lasted 3-4 years at the most in that market. Were there ever any "Gibsons" stores in OKC? I lived in the city for a few years and didn't see any sign of them, but they died in Lawton and Duncan about five years ago. Lawton is a strange, pitiful town that can support two Walmart supers and a K-Mart but seems to have no chance of ever getting a Target or Best Buy (or TRU if they ever start opening new stores again). All that sitting next to a big army base and tire plant and university and those people have to go to OKC or Wichita Falls for even halfway decent shopping.

Anyhow, it would suck to see Sears die because of poisoning by Kmart. Sears was one of the few things left in the malls that was even remotely interesting to a lot of people. And they do run small stores that don't have clothing but do have a bunch of appliances and tools that exist in smaller cities, and run service warranties for a lot of stuff. My parents have them service the refrigerator, freezer, washer & dryer, and dish washer, so they usually see Sears people about once a month. Sears might be able to make it in small, one Walmart towns if they are competently run and could fill some of the gap left by Gibsons and TG&Y.

+-MWG-+

9. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My Sears store that I've worked at for nearly 20 years is safe. Since I'm in management I can't say much, but there's a lot great people that work there and the appliances there are the best in the business.

10. zannus

zannus Well-Known Member

Looks like everything in my area including the Sears I work at are safe, for now.

11. DeathAnghell

DeathAnghell Beast Wars!

I always liked Kmart but they closed all of the ones in the north Texas area back in late 2002 or early 2003. The only Kmart I've seen since then was located in Oklahoma in a small town called Enid.

It sucks to see so many Sears stores closing. Their clearance prices on video games was one of the reasons I used to shop there.

12. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Kmart is horrible here.

After the bankruptcy and the merge with sears they TRIED to catch up, but it was still a phail. Outrageous prices on everything when compared to grocery stores or walmart/target/meijer.

Still the sentimental puke in me is a bit sad, because I still remember when I was playing with Star Wars figures, a buddy in school told me about the "New" GIJOE guys, and he said he was "getting them all because they are ALL at Kmart"..I came home, and seen the big Joe commercial to introduce them, and BEGGED my dad to take me up there. Me and my dad thought they were the best toys ever. I got the FLAK, JUMP, HAL and 7 of the figures, including my 1st snake eyes.
    I was totally pumped to tell my buddy I got some joes too, and wanted to see if we could play after school. Well, he didnt get any, and I was the 1st kid in school to get GIJOEs. I was like a superstar. All the kids were asking me what they were like...what they do...ETC.
    Back in the 80s Kmart was THE Walmart of the time. And as for toys, They had the best selection outside of TRU and childrens palace.

What did the Bird say when it flew over Kmart? "cheap cheap"

Thanks to Kmart for the memorys...but its pretty obvious at this point.

13. flik68

flik68 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    there is a kmart in texarkana, tx not too far from me.

14. BigRC83

BigRC83 I'm singing in the rain

News Credits:
    ...and even more people will be unemployed.