Searching for a laptop. Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DaraRex2.0, Oct 8, 2007.

1. DaraRex2.0

DaraRex2.0 I'd totally eat the leaf

I'm seeking advice from experience and since most you people must own a notebook (or have gone through some) and know what you like about the brand names you could offer some words of wisdom.

Drop a webdress here, tell about what you have or wished you had, is customizing the only way? I really don't want to make a mistake buying a product I'm gonna regret so anything, a warning, is much appreciated. ~ Toodles ~

:dj 

2. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

Apple - it is by far the computer least likely to disappoint.

If you insist on a Windows system, don't get Vista. Stick with XP Professional.

3. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My wife and I both have gateways, and they are both great. My buddy has a dell, and it is so-so. If you want to be a true pimp, pick up a voodoo. Cost about 3Gs+, but SO WORTH IT!

4. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

Ditto. Wife has Vista, and Vista = slow (even with 1GB of memory). I much prefer my XP.

5. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    I just got a HP dv6500 with 160 gig hard drive, 2 gig ram, Vista home Pro and its great. Not one problem yet.

6. DaraRex2.0

My current XP works good enough, talks to a whole bunch of stuff that gets leaked from the hard drive, I'll stick with that since I know it. But now I'm leaning between the dell and an apple. Hr, my budget is limited. Just the basics for now :) 

7. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

I'm with Gort. Go with Apple or go with something running either XP or Linux.
    As far as non-Apple brands, I don't know that there's any brand I can recommend anymore. Dell, maybe? I dunno, seems like almost every computer company has gone down the drain.

Oh - if you're a student, Apple does great student discounts.

8. Nerdling

Nerdling Plastic Crack Addict

Ebay:
    Dude, if you're going to get a laptop/notebook it's a no-brainer. Get a good iBook. Yes, they are pricier than PC notebooks but they're totally worth it. They're a hundred times more reliable, they come with practically everything you need to get the thing to run right out of the box, they're really light and dont hurt your back when you carry them around, and now with Parallels you can run pretty much any Windows program you want. I could go on all day but believe me, Apple is the way to go.

9. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

I like Dell... Dell Inspiron E1505 w a 6400 cpu about 500-600 on ebay sometimes.

Dont get wrapped up in that "one day only 299!!" special....spend a lil extra and get one that will meet your expectations.

10. DaraRex2.0

Here's the list.

1) Apple
    2) Dell
    3) iBook (light works for me)
    What's the price range on the iBook and where are they usually available at?

11. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

12. ultraconvoy

ultraconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    I have a dell XPS and they are Awsome!!!!

13. ShockWave_AZ

ShockWave_AZ Shock and Awe

News Credits:
    QFT

It depends on what your looking the laptop to do and how much you want to spend. If you need a gaming machine than the Dell XPS is the route to go. I have an XPS that is a year old and still runs smooth as silk. But if you need a laptop for bunch of uses (applications, gaming, multi-media) try the dell Latitude line. They are the business class laptop but can handle the everyday beatings most laptops would not.

Also if your not computer savey, please buy the extended warranty so you wont have to worry about future problems after the year warranty wears out.

*Not a Dell Salesman
    ** Working the IT field so I have seen the worst when it comes to laptop abuse.

14. Keiichitron

Keiichitron Not a physicist, dammit

Ebay:
    http://www.edealinfo.com/dell/

you can usually spot a few good deals on this website, usually they just suggest different builds and give you the price, but they do have coupons every once in a while. i have a inspiron 1705, it's great, it does everything i want and i've had no issues with it. plus i like the widescreen.

15. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Get an apple and dual boot, that simple I got a Macbook Pro and could not be happier. I use the thing at least 8 hours a day gaming, blogging, surfing and school(AIO) and have not had a single problem. They are pricey but they are worth it and they come out of the box ready for anything, and with the dual booting you can get a clean bloat free windows (xp or vista) os for all your gaming and software exclusive needs which I love because its so fast with my autodesk 3DS Max.

16. GuppyMN

GuppyMN Evil little fish

I would say IBM/Lenovo. I have a few at home and they are solid. If you want small go with the X-series. They are also on sale right now.

17. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    People say Dell's customer support is shit but so far I've had nothing but good experiences, and I'm quite happy with mine

I also say if you go with Windows please stay the fuck away from Vista

18. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

I would go with Dell. I dont think it's possible these days to get a laptop from a major company and NOT have Vista on it. Hopefully you have an XP cd that you can install from.

And to go off of someone elses comment, Vista really doesn't work well speed wise unless you have like 3-4 gigs of memory.