Customs: Search function?! Where are you?! NOOOO!!!

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by whiskeytango, Jun 30, 2011.

1. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

...title

2. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

Yeah, i sent the mods a mesasge about that a couple days ago. I first thought I was taking crazy pills......

Randy!

3. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yep I want this back too! I'm actually looking for you whiskeytango! And pics of the customs you have made as I narrowly missed the roadbuster on eBay this week by $2 :( 

4. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    They disabled it during DOTM, it'll be back soon.

5. deaculpa

deaculpa Seven Star Fist

News Credits:
    its been gone before, give it a few days. but i miss it too, i cant even find my own threads :/

6. JavaJim

JavaJim Agilisticobot

Ebay:
    Use google to search for now. You can use it by doing something like the following:

site:Transformers Discussion - TFW2005 - The 2005 Boards + ironhide

If you are looking for a particular forum, add the forum search id. So if you're searching in creative general discussion for air brush it would be the following:

site:Creative General Discussion - TFW2005 - The 2005 Boards + air brush

Should work for anything you want to search on. Just be sure to use the forum you want to search in after site: in the google search and then your search text. :) 

The site administrators should replace the search function with this capability during DotM so we can still search. It would be fairly easy to replace the search function on the site. Not sure why they didn't do it instead of disabling search completely. Definitely doesn't make it friendly for new site members at a time when they are going to see a lot of new members.

7. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Yeah, they disable it when they see a lot of board traffic coming, like before Botcon and now with the movie out. I don't know about message board set-ups so I don't understand how this helps...

8. JavaJim

JavaJim Agilisticobot

Ebay:
    Odds are they are using a shared server. Usually a dedicated server runs anywhere from $50 to $200 a month (think the $50 is actually a shared physical server with a dedicate VM). Been a long time since I priced anything out, so those numbers may be way off based on today's rates. Anyhow, the take away is that when you share processor/memory when you get a lot of traffic it takes forever for the system to respond, and the search is probably the most database intensive part of the site as the search feature uses database queries instead of an actual search engine to service the searches. It's a pretty common problem for the smaller sites.

There are ways to solve the problem so they don't have to disable the search, but it requires a $$$ investment on the part of the owner. Not sure what they are doing with the money people donate, other than putting it in their pockets (which is fine by me, as there's a LOT of info on the site). As far as costs go, I don't see anything on the site that leads me to believe they are spending more than $20/month on the server/costs (this is obviously speculation).