Customs: sealing temperature/ weather conditions

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by wylungz, Oct 3, 2009.

1. wylungz

wylungz Well-Known Member

Hey I know most of u might know nd hate how after a long hyped up custom, u'd hate for it to be ruined..not by the paint job but by the sealing...

I have to admitt wen it comes to sealing its always a hit, or a minor hit nd miss...

I recently been using krylon crystal clear gloss nd I've been i'd say 1 hit nd no misses but a tie.. that meanin part of the tranformer was fine some parts came out alittle toooo glossy eh but it could be my fault..

Anyway. I did a test run the other day.. I painted two pieces of transformer plastic r different colors like stripes (gun metal, aluminum nd flat black) then I sprayed them separately ..one krylon crystal clear gloss nd the other one same brand but satin... sprayed both evenly 2 light coats nd its been alittle more then 24 hrs nd I just checked on them.. nd they didn't come out that.. protected I guess u caqn say or smooth...

So my question.. does the temperature really matter that and the enviroment? I had them drying in my living room in about 65-70 temp.. iunno if I have to wait another couple days or not to see it fully cure.

I've heard that humid tempts are the best... wich makes me think I should just spray them nd then take a nice steamy shower with them in my bathroom haha...

Anyone shed any light?

2. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nnooo... Dry areas, not humid bro. Humidity will make the drying take even longer, as will cold areas. You need a warm dry area for everything to dry well. Your clears are no different than your regular paints when it comes to their drying process.

3. wylungz

iccccc.. iuno if u use a spray seal or use "future" like everyone else.. but if you WOULD use a spray seal. how many coats would you put on.. i used to do around 3 or 4.. but someone told me 2 was all i need.. and i wasnt satisfied... maybe i'll just try 3 in my next trial

4. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've never used the krylon stuff, so I dont know. But when I use tamiya's spray, I use 2 light mists and then 1 medium wet coat. hope that helps ya. also, when you coated, did y ou let the coats dry between the directed amount of time??

5. wylungz

Ya 3 sounds good to me too.... ya I waited 1-2 mins usually 2 between sprays like the can said too .. however I've read from others to wait 125 mins per each... so 2 mins to 15 is a big diff iunnoo

6. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd give each coat a couple hours myself man. Especially using 2 different types of gloss, even if they were by the same company.

7. wylungz

wow hrs? thats interesting

8. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    Use Future if you're going for gloss, I would say. You can brush it on or shoot it through an airbrush if you have one. I tried the Krylon gloss stuff before and I couldn't get good results with them. Future is easier to use and is much, much cheaper. :) 

9. wylungz

thanks man and i read your PM .. i'll have to think about it haha, cuz i've had 2 customs that i've had done painted already for about a week already so im alittle hesitant on the future.. dont wanna mess it up... and my next customs are ROTF megs and another Prime.. prime i guess i can paint with thinning with future... but my megs. i wanted to coat him w/ gunmetal all over... ahhh. iunno yet.. if i coated him i'd just spray paint him w/ gunmetal.. not hand brush... which i MIGHT have to do.. AHHH.