Seacons and Nightbeat Update

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Pete Sync, May 23, 2008.

1. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oh. That's a little more'n I expected. Especially for the Nightbeat (no antennas AND a shitty mold to begin with?).

Gonna have to see how financial aid pays out this semester...
    Please, please--let's not start that here.

2. Obvious Prime

Obvious Prime Purple Repaint

News Credits:
    I NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED Nightbeat. He's awesome. :rock 

3. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Check the couch cushions. :D 

Chris

4. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    well, they are close to that...nightbeat if just over 4 times as much...and the seacons are about 4 times as much also (i think the original retail price was mentioned earlier $30 maybe)...and i think this is also due to lower productions runs...

astrotrain and airazor were both 2,000
    the club limbs are all 3,000
    and thanks to pete's earlier post we know these will be
    1,500 for the seacons
    and 1,200 for nightbeat...

based on those numbers, and the rising costs to make toys, i'd say thats not really a bad markup from what everyone expected (42 for nightbeat and 100ish for the seacons, at least that's what i expected)

5. sunlink

sunlink Be Transformed

News Credits:
    Not to nitpick but shouldn't that be $119 for six figures and not one? Even if the six (or five of them) form into a larger robot. *shrug*
    $120 seems high but with the cost of oil rising as it is I could see this happening months ago. Personally, $120 ain't bad for those that never were able to get a complete G1 Seacons set.

I just wish their colors were less hideous. :yuck 

6. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh, and regarding the possibility of Encore Seacons... I say who cares? It's no different than buying the originals, only they'd be mintier. I'm GLAD FP didn't use the G1 color scheme, because then they just become reissues... nothing special, really.

Chris

7. Runamuck

Runamuck Sushi

News Credits:
    I said two, though....not one....?

8. Aberration

Aberration Templar Rodimus

News Credits:
    At first, $48 for Nightbeat seemed a little high, considering Airazor was $42. But I suppose a full-sized comic, plus some inflation would reasonably cover the $6 difference. I was never interested in the Seacons though, so I'm glad I dodged that bullet.

By the way, Pete, if you're still around, is there an ETA on when Topspin will start shipping?

9. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

I think it's great that FP was willing to carry these molds when no one else would. That's pretty tremendous and they deserve respect for that.

I realize that the cost of everything has gone up in recent months and that adjustments had to be made to make this profitable.

With all of that in mind....$120.00 plus shipping? FUCK THAT NOISE.

And someone had a good point about people complaining about the price of this exclusive, but they'll pay through the nose for others. Well, in regards to that, a lot of these exclusives are bought and paid for by collectors with unique tastes and larger bankrolls (which I'm not critiquing, whatever makes you happy, makes you happy. By all means, do it. I'm addicted to Animated, so I know how you feel) some of the exclusives are geared toward more expensive tastes and it's no biggie if only some get 'em and others don't.

However, this is one exclusive that a lot of people wanted, because a full combiner set these days is not only rare, but they're expensive.

This is isn't even technically a reissue. It's true that they're firing up the old molds (which I guess falls under the reissue heading) but these are completely a different color, might even be different characters and a lot of collectors and fans I know are sticklers about that. If we're gonna pay good money, we want the originals and in pristine condition, or a reissue that's at least worthy of carrying the title.

These are just waaaay too overpriced and it's ridiculous. There's something to be said for making a profit and then just going for the gusto. This price went busted the gusto and found a new level.

$120? DAMN.

10. giga-galvatron

giga-galvatron Decepticon S.T.A.G ******

I gotta get a Nightbeat. He is a centerpiece to my season 2 of my classic universe.

11. Optimus8404

Optimus8404 Autobot Commander. RIP Nov 2107

Ebay:
    I agree. You can get the originals loose for that much. Not to mention they would have been $30 at Walmart.

12. Runamuck

Runamuck Sushi

News Credits:
    For whatever reason, that made me laugh out loud. Thank you, sir. I guess it made me laugh because at first it sounded like you were going to go on in support of the price of $120, then BAM! Fuck that noise! :lol 

13. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

No, they would have been NOTHING at wal-mart because wal-mart refused to carry them because exclusive, multifigure boxsets under the universe label have been notoriously bad sellers and shelfwarmers.

It is not an option between 30$ walmart or 120$ FP. It was NEVER or 120$ FP.

14. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

Thank you. *bows*

15. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

I like the Nightbeat enough to pay $50...but I'm miffed that this overdue preorder went up a week or two after my existing membership expired. Now it's going to cost $90+, so I dunno. OTOH, re-upping the membership would presumably include the fifth club exclusive (deluxe) combiner member. I'd kinda like to know what that's going to be though before dropping the $.

As for the Seacons..pass. I have originals and I was never wild about that paint scheme in the first place. Had they been a $30-40ish store exclusive, maybe. $120..nah.

16. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Well, you're certainly right to the degree that the lower runs almost certainly means (at least a little) that FP is spending more per figure (although Pete's indicated in the past that, for anything between 1,000 and 10,000, it's pretty similar per figure cost. Please, Pete, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

But just to be clear, I'm not talking about "markup" in terms of FP's profit margin. I mean in terms of "how much more do these cost than the retail toy using that mold cost?" And furthermore, I try to describe this in terms of multipliers, not "real dollar" numbers. That Nightbeat costs $30 (ish) over Energon Hot Shot's $10 means something rather different than if, say, hypothetical exclusive Mergitron cost only $30 more than hypothetical retail toy Nauseator's $70.

Anyway, it is what it is. I'm finally returning to a point at which I can say "is it low enough I'm willing to pay?" And the answer is still "yes." I only hope that it's low enough that enough other people will buy these that FP can continue to do more exclusives sooner rather than later. I actually think these toys will be something of a watershed for FP, and since I'd be very sad to see exclusives not come out at all, I definitely want these to sell well.

17. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Old skool. In a lot of ways.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nightbeat's price= fair, Seacon's price= better.

Getting both, of course. You know me, Mr. TFCC Lover.

And when I get him, I am SO Powerlinking Nightbeat with my custom class Evil Nightbeat to form...

POWERLINX MORALLY AMBIGUOUS NIGHTBEAT!

18. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Bingo. Good to see that pointed out. If it wasn't for FP doing this run, the toy wouldn't even exist outside of testshots.
    As for the price, I honestly have no real problem with it; it's actually less than I expected. I'll have to see about rejoining the club now.

19. omegafix

omegafix Mechanically Insane

News Credits:

you have it out for me dontcha? :confused: 

20. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

It has nothing to do with you.

It's a ridiculous and annoying habit on other boards that contributes nothing. I'd rather not see it here.