Sea World killer whale attacks trainer in 2006 video released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Starscream600, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Starscream600

Starscream600 Certified Virtual Pilot

Video in link:
    Sea World killer whale attacks trainer in 2006 | ksdk.com

That video is chilling. Seriously.

2. UnicronHound

UnicronHound Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    you know the whale wouldn't have stood a chance against someone from Japan:D 

In all seriousness, glad the guy wasn't hurt too much

3. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Not today Galvatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Oh wow he survived. Honestly I watched expecting brutal gore and death. But I am REALLY happy that didn't happen and he got away. I'm scared of the horse well enough, and he's only as tall as me, working with a whale O_O; I sweat just thinking about it.

4. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

There was actually a trainer that did die 2 years ago during a show.

5. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
  6. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    the whale was probably just playing.

Same as one whale diver that got draged under by a whale several times out in the open sea, the video was documented a few years back early 2000 or late 90:s.

7. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

Killer Whales are the wolves of the sea, there was a recent report of a pod chasing down a pod dolphins showing a baby KW how to hunt.

A tour operator in Port Elizabeth, South Africa, unwittingly stumbled into the history books this weekend when he, his boat captain, and four tourists were in the right place at the right time to make the first recording ever of Orca whales hunting dolphins.

Ranier Schimpf was leading a group of divers when they noticed that one dolphin had been separated from a pod by five of the killer whales then repeatedly rammed. The dolphin was sent flying through the air by the force of impact from whales that were several times its size. With the smaller creature finally left laying unconscious on the surface, the whales pulled it below.

The two 7m male, two 5m female, and a 3m calf whales were clearly working as a team against the dolphin, and it appeared it was also a hunting lesson for the calf. More than that, they exhibited very protective behavior after the hunt. Becoming aware of the boat, they slowed, and began to circle the craft, investigating it. At that point the divers, making a decision I'll only characterize as daring here, got into the water with the whales and kept filming them. This paid off, however. The whales, recognizing the humans as non-threatening, began to interact in a friendly way. The mother even presented the calf to one of the tourists, shielding it carefully, but allowing it to take a look at the strange visitors.

Capturing the hunting process of orcas, and their behavior immediately after, gives man access to a previously un-captured behavior that's key to understanding the group dynamics within the pod. Conservation efforts are traditionally most successful when animals are the most thoroughly understood, and we are now, thanks to a group of tourists that were in the right place at the right time, a great leap closer to understanding both the hunting and social behaviors of killer whales.

Read more at First Time In World History, Killer Whales Filmed Hunting Dolphins