SDCC Rodimus battle stories?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Lord Of Tetris, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Veloxiraptor

Veloxiraptor Moé than Meets the Eye

News Credits:
    How odd is it that Menasor sold like hotcakes at the con, but now that it's readily available online, it's languishing?

2. mpdb6

mpdb6 Active Member

I was also at the SDCC and saw first hand all these horror stories.

When we got there Friday morning we were some of the first people at HTS. We were told that tickets to get in line would be given out "somewhere" at the HTS booth at 10:30. Seeing that it was about 10:10 we decided to hang out and wait for tickets. At that time a large group of people started waiting at the rear of the booth for a ticket. When 10:30 came, a SDCC staff member, not a Hasbro person, came out and told everybody that they had to all leave and they were not giving out any tickets that morning. This guy was being completely rude and unprofessional and it was obvious he had no idea what he was doing. This was at the same time as the SDCC staffer at the front of the booth telling people tickets were coming at 10:30.

At one point the rude guy at the back of the booth was pulled into the HTS booth and told by Hasbro to give out the tickets. A line was formed an tickets were given out. Why they didn't do this at first I have no idea. Later on they had the line for tickets upstairs in the autograph area. The SDCC manning this area were equally rude and incompetent, especially this one woman with an earpiece and her baby strapped to her belly. It is baffling to see how staff at a convention that is sold out have no idea how to deal with a large crowd efficiently and pleasantly. They all need to take a course on customer service.

I will stick up for Hasbro in that when we were in line everyone we dealt with from Hasbro was very nice. We talked to one Hasbro staffer and she told us that the ticket idea was mandated by the SDCC or they would shut the Hasbro booth down. Basically SDCC made Hasbro use these tickets and then had no idea how to implement the process. Complete and total lack of any competence here.

Anyway when all was said and done I had my Rodimus and my friend got his Rodimus and then a Menasor from HTS.com.

3. ckbuddha

ckbuddha Well-Known Member

That is the worst. So close, yet so far :( 

4. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No real horror story here, although I DO feel bad for A. Those who went and couldn't get him and B. thos who lost it while it was in their cart. I know that I could say blah blah blah you should have done this, but I still feel bad. Based on what I read on these forums, I have checked HTS every morning, particularly Monday, so I was on at the right time to order him, and did so with ease.

5. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh, and, I had other people checking for me who apparently ordered a couple more for me just ordering as fast as they could. Anyways, if all goes well and the shipments all go through just fine, I want to either sell the couple extras to other board members at cost or trade for something.

6. Armada_MK

Armada_MK BEAST EM BEAST EM DRAGON!!!

News Credits:
    you haven't met my friend juan he's a freak, hes buys 4 of everything sometimes more:) 

7. machinegeist

machinegeist Victory not Vengeance

wish there was some sorta warning when they were going to sell rodimus. I guess it doesn't pay to work at 5 in the morning...

8. twee

twee Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    First of all, to make a correction, the limit at Comic-Con was 3, not 4; it explicitly said that on the flyers they handed out that stated what was available at the booth. On top of that, they changed it from 3 to 1 on Friday.

Now that that's done with, the HTS booth was just insane during Preview Night. It was easily the busiest booth in the exhibit hall that night, to the point where it was completely slowing down traffic on the main path. When they finally decided to hand out tickets it was an absolute mob scene, as people were running from all directions, and initially only one guy was handing out tickets. Or rather, people were snatching them from his hands.

I ended up getting a ticket for 10-11 the next day, which was a bit of a hassle for me since I wasn't planning on attending on Thursday, but I gotta have my TFs, so I ended up going.

I actually ended up making like twenty bucks in line for buying spectators outside of line the figures they wanted. By the time I got to the cashier I ended up buying something like ten items, three or four of which were for me. I came out with:

Alternators Rodimus (x3)
    Voyager Prime

Voyager Prime was only ten bucks, so I couldn't pass that up, and really, only one of the Rodimus' were for me; the others were for friends who'd asked to buy it for them.

Heh, the next day I checked my receipt, and apparently I bought way too much for the cashier to handle, since they didn't even charge me for my Voyager Prime.

So a hellish start, but ended up with twenty extra bucks and a free Voyager Prime, so I guess it's a happy ending.

9. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Briefly the owner of KB Toys

News Credits:

...While it did say in the flyers "limit 3" on preview night the signs at all the registers was "limit 4" :)  And they would let dealers helpers jump in line with the dealer and add the orders together so limits were pretty useless Thursday night. Personally I think it should have been "limit 1" for all 4 days :) 

10. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ok heres mine. it was like in nam, the LZ was hot and the place was crawling with charlies and the phantoms were on the way with the napalm payload...

just kiddin'.

no battle stories here. mah shop called me up. i picked it up. even found extras on the shelf. left one for the poor sods.

11. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    No battle here...it only took 1 bid and i got it $43

12. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I live in Canada and had no access to SDCC or HTS... that's my battle story. Had to resort to BBTS instead.

13. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Got mine, at SDCC, pretty much without a battle-scratch. :]

14. twee

twee Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow, that's ******ed. I hope Hasbro gets its act together next time they're at Comic-Con.

15. Mr.Roboto

Mr.Roboto YOU'RE A SHRUB ROCKETEER! Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah, yeah, shut up. :throw  :lol 

16. BaronV

BaronV MonsterOfTheWeek.com

I guess it would be helpful if HTS had big banners around their booth in a high place explaining the raffle ticket procedure. I didn’t personally see how the ticketing was done since I went on a Sunday, but some booths that did tickets usually had one person saying it out loud and if you have a long line snaking around the booth then of course only a few people will hear it. Those will just a sign on an easel in one place also makes it hard when it is surrounded by people in line so they can’t see the procedures on how to buy an item. That’s how I got screamed at one year at the Mattel booth by a Mattel worker when I ended up in line to buy an item since the line was empty. Informed me that I needed a ticket just to buy an item, didn’t even realize that I needed a ticket since that information was scribbled on a dry erase board at the side of the booth blocked by convention attendees.

17. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

You truly are, the wind beneath my wings!