SDCC 2012 Hasbro Transformers Panel

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Tony_Bacala, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Grimm

Grimm Me Hungry!

If I don't see a FoC Voyager Grimlock I will be truly let down.

2. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    What if we get one but it's a Deluxe. Still a letwdown?

3. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Crossing my fingers for news on US release Breakdown.

4. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Not if it's impressive.

5. Grimm

Grimm Me Hungry!

Yes. But I'll be honest, any Grimlock is better than none. But still, it would be really dumb to bring back Voyager class figures only to release Grimlock as a deluxe.

6. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    well I can't speak for every board member here but the new Kreos on display yesterday were all I need and more to call it a good show. FOC Grimlock in any size class would be Funfetti frosting on that cake. But I still already got a pretty darn good cake!

Bring back? When did Voyager class figures leave? Plus I think it's good to bear in mind we've gotten 7 grimlock figures in the last 7 years.... I think We're doing OK

7. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Congratulations.

8. stormbringer251

stormbringer251 Well-Known Member

Guess it would depend on how good it looks. Some characters just work better in larger figures.

9. R_Death_angel

R_Death_angel Active Member

And yet Kabaya God Ginrai has more articulation than the colossal Masterforce toy :p 

10. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    It is and it isn't.
    It’s an economizing way to add variety to the figures.
    But it’s also a measure they didn’t used to take before and it costs them money to do it.

Consider Classics Bumblebee; all Hasbro did was recolor the figure red and called him Cliffjumper.
    A few years later WFC Bumblebee was given a different head, colored red and then called Cliffjumper.

Not only that, but we got other figures like Sideswipe and Sunstreaker, and also Tracks and Wheeljack that not only had different heads, but had some different aspect engineered into their transformation.
    So, there is a certain economy to that type of design, but it also gives the figures an individual look to them and I appreciate Hasbro’s going that extra step in the design and production.

On another note, how many years has it been since Hasbro took an Optimus Prime model, only painted it white, and then called it 'Ultra Magnus'?

100% agree.

Ha ha! Normally I’m better at sarcasm, but I guess I can do cold and unfeeling too.

I can’t get the time straight either.

11. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:
    10 minutes

12. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

To chime in on the sub-discussion about Voyager sizes, I'm not making any comment on how nice they are as toys, how much engineering is involved, detail, etc... but they ARE getting smaller, generally. And when I say Voyager, I also mean their spiritual predecessors from earlier lines who shared a price-point (Max Cons, Megas, etc).

Every now and again, you get a freak who really stands out, but the days of Cybertron Starscream or Vector Prime, or even Energon Mirage are gone...

The first movie had Ratchet who stood out as being especially large. Later molds like Grapple/Inferno are a bit of a throwback. BLudgeon stretched out to be pretty big too... I wish we got more like them on a consistent basis.

I don't find that he's actually all that big when you actually stand him next to others, though he is the largest DOTM Voyager I believe. Stand him next to the TFTM07 Ironhide though, and he looks like a teeny little ballerina. :) 

Uh... not really. My FE Bulkhead, for example, is shorter than any other Voyager on my shelf from any line... shorter than Seaspray, shorter than Lugnut or Highbrow or Classics Prime. He's probably the the shortest Voyager I own... with the possible exception of TFA Bulkhead.

And of course he's still taller than PRID Bulkhead, so that doesn't say much for PRID Voyagers.

Obviously, there is no hard and fast standard or consistency, but they definitely have been skewing smaller in recent years.

Vector Prime. He's HUUUUGE. And has electronics. Honestly, I'm not convinced that he wasn't an Ultra-class that they decided to cram into the Voyager assortment at the last minute.

zmog

13. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Who is a head shorter than all the other released PRID Voyagers.

14. R_Death_angel

R_Death_angel Active Member

Aw man, that is just the worst possible example you could use! They're repainting FoC Prime into Magnus! That said, I completely agree with everything you said! Glad to see someone with a reasonable outlook rather than all the doom-sayers and pessimists you usually see.

15. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Who is mostly blue and has a new head.

16. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Beast Machines Megatron was a Mega which is todays Voyagers. Tiny Voyagers are not new, having them be the majority is.

Time are tough and corporation are making sure they still make ther billions of dollars of profit, thus tiny toys, less paint apps and higher prices.

17. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    5 minutes.

18. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:
    4 minutes

19. Thelonicon

Thelonicon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Except he isn't white and isn't just a straight repaint. He is blue, white, and a little red like the original and most importantly he has a remolded G1 Ultra Magnus head. (Honestly I think the Ultra Magnus version looks much more like an Ultra Magnus than the mold looks like an Optimus Prime.)

20. Grimlockimus

Grimlockimus Wot?

News Credits:
    And thus, it begins.

Breakdown US release
    FOC Dinobot toys
    and more.

BRING IT ON