SDCC 2011 Ultimate Optimus Prime Pictorial Review

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by OVR_RUN, Sep 8, 2011.

1. OVR_RUN

OVR_RUN Jazz Meister

News Credits:
    This is the pictorial review for the SDCC 2011 Ultimate Optimus Prime.
    (be forewarned this might be a looooong read and quite a few pics! I will be tired from writing all of this.... :drunk ) Also to save on space the images are thumbnails so just click on them and they will increase in size

Packaging
    First off his box is big bulky and quite heavier than one would expect. The packaging has three different protective layers before you get to the toy itself.

Your first outer most layer is the box packaging. The box is a normal plain cardboard box with the exception of Primes hood flame design on both long sides with Ultimate Optimus Prime typography on the each side with the Transformers Dark of The Moon Text on the top of the package.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Once you open the first box you see a cardboard window with an Autobot symbol staring you in the face.

[​IMG]

Next this brings you to the first actual part of the exclusive. This is the protective sleeve. This sleeve is designed after Primes nose of his Truck mode, with the nice metallic Yellow fade into Orange fading into a metallic Red with some nice tribal Blue flames done on top of all that nice color. Then for added detail of the alt mode resemblance they added rivets to the top portion of the box sleeve to further push the idea of this is the nose/hood of Optimus Prime. Now this sleeve does have the same Ultimate Optimus Prime Text on both sides as well as a nice CGI render of Prime on both sides. Also on the sleeve is the official SDCC 2011 sicker on both sides. On top and on the bottom of the sleeve are the Transformers Dark of The Moon text. On top it is embossed or raised and on the bottom it is just a ghosted text as part of the design of the packaging.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Slide the sleeve off after slicing two little bits of tape and out comes the nice display packaging. The packaging is a nice reflective metallic material and for the most part designed to resemble Primes trailer from the third film and has a resemblance to the last Alternators packaging. The only true difference from the film and this packaging is the Red Autobot logos on the side which is to help make them pop and i believe to resemble the G1 trailer.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

This box has 4 Red Autobot logos two one the sides, one big one on the top, and one smaller on the front. Under the display bubble it says "Comic-Con 2011" on each side, then on the rear of the package it has a sticker saying "Hauling Energon Since '84" that is in the same style as the Sleeve and Primes Alt mode.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Now inorder to get inside this package it utilizes a magnet system like the SDCC '11 Prime Matrix First Edition packaging. The magnets in the Ult. Prime packaging comprise most of the weight you feel on this Exclusive. Once the back is open you are able to slide out the optional display base with the bubble around the figure and base. At first glance this bubble does not look like it can be opened at all, but in fact it can, the bubble is held in by 4 plastic tabs.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Now after removal of the bubble and Prime, you find the instruction sheet, a sticker sheet, a placement sheet for the stickers, and a battery replacement instruction sheet. Your sticker sheet consist of 3 different licenses plates which read: 4KH4213; SDCC2011; PRIME, the special reflective striping for the trailer, another hauling energon since '84 sticker, and 3 Autobot logos, 2 small for the cab of Prime and one big logo for the top of the trailer. This sticker sheet is the quality like that of Reprolabels.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Now on to the toy.

Alt Mode

[​IMG]

Alt mode is big and bulky with the trailer on. The whole piece has quite a few clip points (8 to be exact, two on Prime himself and 6 on the bottom of the trailer) and tons of mech tech ports (18 to be exact, 6 on Prime and 12 on the trailer two on each side and the rest are on top of the trailer). The trailer is big and wide compared to any normal tractor trailer you see on the road. Now Prime himself in alt mode is decently proportioned to a normal big rig with the exception of mechtech ports and the grill hinge for part of the bot mode. Primes alt mode is fairly detailed, with pretty good paint apps, has a silver paint on the lower part of the cab with the red flames on the doors and sleeper cab. Nose of the truck has nice paint and flames although the top of the driver cab is missing the flame detail. The rear fenders have the blue flame tampoed on. Wheels are all black. Smoke stacks are very short and stubby. Under side shows most of the bot mode folded inside with the chest plate under the front and the legs under the rest of the alt mode. The mechtech ports are obvious to where they are, right behind the head lights, on the air tank in-front of the cab, and in the middle of the gas tanks on both sides of the alt mode, and the clip system point is right under the step box under the door on both sides.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The trailers has bot kibble showing and sticking out in places which is inevitable since the BMFG is stored under the trailer mode. Also the shoulder pads are also visible from the side of the trailer mode. Details on the side of the trailer show the the Autobot logo in Red along the inside of the long stripe with your traditional trailer siding and light details on top and on the bottom of the trailer box. The rear of the trailer has only two paint apps, a blue bar and gold painted tail lights, but a lot of detail molded into the back of the trailer. The front of the trailer has only one paint app, which is the blue for the cooler unit which has a smaller Autobot logo molded into it.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Bot Mode

Bot mode for Prime has a ton of molded detail, from the extreme details in the shins and legs to the updated chest and fists. Arms slide out of forearms via a tab that is pushed to show the fists which come out of the front grill. Legs unpeg fold down and the back of the sleeper accordions down to form the back and the sides of the cab form and fold into the back pack. the fenders are attached via a swivel joint that allow them to attach to the back of Prime. The cab doors lift up to form his shoulder pads and his arms split from the nose of the truck, then the whole back is folded down onto the upper body to form a solid waist and chest, his head is on a spring and pressure gimmick, once the middle of the windshield and roof open and collapse down. Once all is locked into place he forms a decent robot with some big bulk in the upper body.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Articulation is next to nothing. Legs move in and out and back and forth. Thigh swivel, and a bending knee joint, with no ankle joint. Arms are very much like the legs with a ratchet and swivel joint in the shoulder that moves it in and out and back and forth, a bicep swivel, and an elbow joint, and no fist joint. Head is on a swivel joint and can barely look up due to his head reveal gimmick. Most of his limited articulation is due to his compatibility with his trailer armor.

[​IMG]

Trailer also has limited articulation but one thing that this trailer has the Prime does not are the use of ankle joints which ratchet side to side giving the armor nice flat footed balance. transformation is a pain without popping off the "fairy" wings, good thing though about the wings is that you can position them up and fairy like or down and out of the way like a cape.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Combined

To insert Prime into his trailer there are some key points to where he locks into place. First is to open the leg shells, lower the chest plate, and open the arm shells. Starting at the feet there is one peg on the trailer that plugs into the bottom foot of prime once his foot is rotated down. Next on his hips and back side there are two spots that need to clip and plug in. On the trailer there is a black clip which holds Primes lower waist and a plug which goes into the trailer hitch on the back side of Prime. Now on the back pack of Prime there is a slot which pegs right into another black clip which is inserted into that square hole in the back. Now his arms of the trailer mode are molded to fit around the bulky arms of Prime and have a peg in the Fists of the trailer mode which Prime holds. And finally the chest plate snaps into place around the waist of Prime as well as pegs into the two holes located on the front of the lower torso of Prime. Now that completes putting him into his combined mode.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BMFG

His BMFG is where all of his electronics are located exactly like DOTM Leader Bumblebee. the Gun clips on to the top of the trailer mode with a round peg located on the black plate on the top of the trailer, which then this allows the gun to be store on the back of Prime or allow Prime to hold his mighty weapon.

Also on this mighty weapon he has a built in helmet with a HUD (Heads Up Display) painted in a yellow paint.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Posability in this mode is limited but the parts all stay in their respective position if moved. in this mode he has zero knee articulation and can only open or close his legs with his ankle joint. No waist movement, and very limited arm placement.

[​IMG]

Comparisons-( will update with alt mode comparisons soon)
    [​IMG]
    Compared to HFTD Voy BB Optimus Prime
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Compared to DOTM Voy Fireburst Optimus Prime
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Compared to Dlx DOTM Roadbuster
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Compared to Ldr Sentinel Prime
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Over all the SDCC 2011 Ult. Prime is an incredible display piece with the ability to take him out of package and put him right back with out damaging or cutting into the package. Now he is in my opinion one giant TF and will look great with your other huge TF's in or out of package. The packaging itself is incredible. Now I myself intend on grabbing atleast one more Ult. Prime for taking out of package and displaying near or behind this SDCC '11 Prime.

2. dmarsee

dmarsee Well-Known Member

Thanks for the review!

3. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I still have my DOTM Ultimate prime. My wife got it for me that Christmas, so Ill never get rid of it, im sentimental like that.

That said...I still say this one is very underrated. The base Prime figure Is really awesome. At first I didnt like the arms from pics online, but in hand, its really just fun. the hands are detailed nice, and the base figure has so much articulation, I cant help but love it.

Combined mode is killer. I just love that big ol' mech suit he gets into. The way the arms still move well, is a really impressive feat of toy design.

Awhile back, one of the cool dudes here, made a fan mode cyberverse base out of primes trailer. It was surprisingly good. If I ever got another one I would butcher up the legs to make them articulated. I seen of of the customs on here a couple years ago, where one of the hotshot radicons tricked it all out, and everyone went batshit crazy over it.

DOTM Ultimate Prime is way underrated. My son of 7, always asked to play with it. The ONLY problem I have with the entire package, is there is a seriously weak design flaw. The door sides that hang over his shoulders are only connected by a small, thin piece of clear plastic, and I expect, years down the road when these show up at garage sales and such, that part will be a commonly broken and lost item.

All in all, Im not sure of the difference between this SDCC and the retail I have..Ive looked and cant really spot a big difference..but its a super fun toy.

4. Underwear

Underwear Banned

News Credits:
    Did Takaratomy ever release this version of DOTM Prime?

5. Bumblebee2000

Bumblebee2000 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't remember one, but while it doesn't mention anything in the text itself the tfwiki page does give a Japanese ID number 'DA32'.
    On a side note, while it definitely has it's flaws, I did always love this toy. I'd still prefer Battle Blades, but the arms aside it's the best DOTM Prime, unless there's some leader class retool I never realised existed.