SDCC 2011 Some Transformers Fanart On Display

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Shin Densetsu, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    They're certainly different, but I kinda dig 'em.

2. PHLeal

PHLeal Active Member

Oddly enough, I like them... They remind me of L-Gaim, or Five Star Stories, so yeah, not really original, but I like those designs.

3. Duffcon

Duffcon Well-Known Member

That painting of Prime was at last year's comic con too, nothin new

4. Brodimus Prime

Brodimus Prime Matrix Templar

News Credits:
    My only suggestion is to remove the trigger from Megatron's crotch. Never have liked it when artists (including IDW) model the design after the toy. Just doesn't do it for me. Prime looks sweet, though. I'm thinking he was based on his TF: Prime version. Other than that, I'm kinda liking them. I wouldn't mind seeing a major reiminagining of the designs into something like these.

5. Buster_Witwicky

Buster_Witwicky ALL HAIL KORROK

Megatron's trigger crotch is hilarious.

6. Kostya

Kostya Destron

News Credits:
    Prime is alright, he just needs a vastly wider body so each leg isn't as wide as his chest.

Megatron needs a different face and no crotch thing but other than that he's fine.

I wouldn't mind the aesthetic the designer seems to be going for. They just need to tweak the designs a bit.

7. STRAKER454

STRAKER454 Police Box Traveler

Not bad. Nicely detailed. I think I would have liked to have seen these in the live action movie more than what we did get though. XD

8. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    I saw these on Deviant Art months ago. I've had Optimus as my desk top background.

9. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ugh. Technically they're great..I mean, it's not like the person who made this doesn't master his materials.

But concept wise? These things are terrible.

10. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

I wasn't going to chime in here, but since it's gotten so much negative reaction, i want to add in my comments. I first meet this artist several years ago at the Emerald city comicon. He had the megatron done, and I really liked the design. It's a cool blend of old and new (as in G1 and Movie, this was the same year as TFTM). One thing that may be hard to see is megs "extra parts" cannon has autobot symbols on tha barrel for everyone he's killed. Like WWII bombers. :thumb  It's little stuff like that that grabs my attention. I'm the type that likes to see transformers change from time to time. After he told me that he was planning on a Prime that would go with it, I bought one.
    Now comes this year and I was wandering around ECCC again and there he was, with the new prime print! Is it a perfect example of prime? No, and actually i'm more found of the Megatron now than the prime. Would I want to see a whole comic in this style? Maybe not. But it's a cool interpetation and i'm proud to own some of his artwork. I like to see new versions of our characters from time to time. There's only so many times I can see a G1 prime and be wowed by it, and I love that character/design.
    Anywho, thats my :2c: 

Randy!

11. Tampalicious

Tampalicious Tribe of Roadimus

That Optimus looks really badass. Lovin the smokin barrell. Megs looks too much like Prime Starscream though (could they have named the friggin show somethin else to make it less confusing...)

12. LesterX

LesterX Banned

Why is everyone hatin?? I think the designs really cool and unique (especially Optimus who does look a little creepy).

13. Kostya

Kostya Destron

News Credits:
    Again, I don't hate the design. I just think Optimus shouldn't have one leg be as wide as he is. It doesn't look right.

14. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

News Credits:
    Trigger-crotch FTW. I do like toy elements in Transformers representations.
    For a while I thought he had a sheathed sword, but realised the back protrusion was part of the alt-mode stand.

Some great detail in this one. 'Beware of Blast' on the feet made me chuckle. The alt-mode seems to convey a touch of Galvatron IMO.

15. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    When will trigger penises die?

16. col

col Artobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Quoted for facts.

17. Sinnertwin

Sinnertwin Banned

News Credits:
    Oh snap, these were almost official?

Dammit.

18. Oberoniss

Oberoniss DOESN'T-EXIST BABBU

News Credits:
    Megatron actually looks pretty badass. I like his expression, he's like all my visions of Pharaohs (sp?) of Egypt. Optimus is okay- IMHO, everything below the waist needs to be redesigned. Especially both their crotches. Otherwise, they look pretty good, and I'd love to play a video game with those designs.

19. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

I know the artist who did these because I see him at Wondercon in San Francisco (SDCC's little bro) every year: his name is John Giang and he's a very nice guy who has done work on the Iron Man movies (you can even find his name in the credits if you look hard enough), Rango, and I believe on the TF movies. As far as I know, these Prime and Megs designs are his own and have nothing to do with WFC or any other official TF project. At least if they were he never mentioned it to me and I have first-edition copies of these signed by him hanging in my office. I also have some of his badass insectoid mech designs. He also has interesting takes on Joes and some other things. I'll repeat his site for those that missed it:

ORBITAL HARVEST ::: under construction

20. fakebusker83

fakebusker83 Radicon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I, too, had the fortune of speaking to John about his craft during the recent Comic con. Really nice guy, down to earth and always ready to share tips and experiences. Opinions are opinions, but some of the earlier comments on this thread really seemed rash and overly critical without knowing the full story.

The art shown here was his personal artpieces done in his free time. Would you guys continue hating if you realised he played no small role in conceptualizing the live action movies as well? I'm at no liberty to discuss what exactly he did, but some of the aesthetic shown in his fan art did evolved into designs shown on film.

Also, he did graphics for actionfigurecustoms.com. Very distinctive style.