Customs: Sculpting question!

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Bumblebee, May 27, 2007.

1. Bumblebee

Bumblebee Artist/Colorist Monkey

So I have a movie Bumblebee, and the dude is hot cakes( I don't care what anyone says about 'im!). I REALLY love this dude's mold, but I also REALLY want him to have a "battle mode" head. So my question is to all them sculptors(maybe mold makers too!) out there:
    What's the best way to go about with starting such a task?
    I mean, I have all the references I need- but I lack the know-how to get this ball on the ground. Should I try something out with Sculpy? Is there something easier to sculpt/mold out there that I could use?
    I'm also curious as to the mold-making process(in case it doesn't turn out like a pile of crap), but one step at a time. I would certainly appreciate any help from people out there- especially those who are skilled in sculpting bot' heads : ) !

2. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    I use milliput to sculpt. It's a helluva lot more durable than Sculpey. With Sculpey you have to bake or boil for it to set. If you bake it, the plastic will melt that you sculpt on. If you boil it, it turns out pretty fragile. Either way, it's not that great and isn't too durable.

Milliput sets like rock after a few hours, which gives you more than enough time for proper sculpting. It's totally machinable, meaning you can sand it, drill it or whatever you need to do, once it's set. It's a two-part epoxy putty and it's really easy to use, so that's what I suggest you try.

3. Sculpt-bot

Sculpt-bot So waddya want, a medal?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I use Apoxie Sculpt exclusively now for any head modifications. It is really versatile, has a very workable set time (about 4 hours), smooths and cleans with water, and sets to near indestructability.

4. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I'd do the same thing, but I know I would fale at it, lol. I would definetly buy one if someone was to mass produce them, so that I can have the Deluxe New Camero Bumblebee fully prepped for battle.
    *Looks in Sculpt-bot's direction*

5. Sculpt-bot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    To add to my previous post: If you are looking to do a removable battle mask for Bumblebee, I have done similar things with the Apoxie Sculpt. the trick is to put a layer of Vaseline on the areas you are going to be sculpting over. Make sure you don't sculpt completely around the head or it wil not be removable (once it cures it is rock hard.) Let the putty set for 4 hours and pull off your mask. Clean the head and the mask with warm water and Dawn dish soap to remove the Vaseline. Then you will be able to paint it up. I actually planned on doing something similar for the "battle modes" on some of the movie figures. Good Luck!

6. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    hey I've actually got a good one for yas, does it take dye? any type of sculpting putty)

7. Paper Mariowned

Paper Mariowned Well-Known Member

Wow, thanks for the advice guys, I should try this stuff one day. And good idea, making a battle visor 'Bee would kick ass

8. a person

a person Is not amused.

News Credits:
    Wait for the 08 version the battle head will most likely suit it more.

9. Sculpt-bot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've never tried it RL! I think the different materials would cause altered shades of the dye color due to the porousity (word?) being different.

10. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    I'm relatively sure milliput would take the dye exceptionally well. I think it's pretty porous and would take it a lot better than the plastic of the toys. So very short dippings into the dye would probably have to be used. But, like Sculpt-bot, I've never tried it before. So some experimentation would be needed.

11. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I was wondering for my combiner project. I don't care if it takes a different amount of time to get the same shades as the plastics... that would be fine, I just hope it'll take so that I can reduce the effects of paint wear :) 

SB: I'm about to snap a picture of a partially painted MM head that you sent me to put in my thread ;) 

12. Bumblebee

Bumblebee Artist/Colorist Monkey

Thank you all so much for the much-needed recommendations and suggestions! And Sculpt-bot, I would DEFINATELY purchase a Bumblebee battle-head from you if you do it XD. I intend to do mine still, but I have such little experience with sculpting that I would most definately want one done by you to look up to and aspire to meet : D!
    That said, I'm thinking of doing an entirely new head for the figure; if it comes out right, I want to use it for the new camaro; though a removable mask WOULD be ideal so I wouldn't have to take the head off XD. Thanks to everyone for the help!