Customs: Sculpey Question

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Apocalypse-Prime, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Apocalypse-Prime

Apocalypse-Prime Active Member

What is the best paint to use when painting baked sculpey and also should I use some kind of gloss before painting

2. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    Use acrylics with Sculpey. Enamels will never dry. Prime it with an acrylic primer if you want. I dun think it'd really be necessary, though. Don't use any kind of spray paint on Sculpey, either. be it paint, or a clear coat. Spray paints act just like the enamels and don't dry on it.

I used to use sculpey, but I recently discovered milliput. That stuff hardens by itself after about an hour and it's very workable. And, it gets as hard as a rock when it does set. Sculpey remains fragile even after it's baked or boiled. Also, pretty much any kind of paint will work on milliput.

3. Apocalypse-Prime

Thanks ill have to lokk into milliput

4. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Acryllic craft paints work the best.... actually the cheap ones like FolkArt and Americana (they usually cost between $1.00 and $2.00 a bottle at a craft store). They work much better than the thicker, more expensive "art" acryllics like Liquitex, Windsor and Newton, etc.

The craft acryllics dry kind of matte-finish, but you can spray them with a clearcoat sealer (matte, semi-gloss, or gloss) for a better shine. Also, be sure when you buy them that you buy the opaque, not the transparent, colors. The transparent ones will take many coats to look right, whereas the opaque usually just requires one or two.

I hope that helps!

5. Paper Mariowned

Paper Mariowned Well-Known Member

Also, do you bake or boil Sculpey? Boiling is so much less of a hassle.

6. Chaos Convoy

News Credits:
    Indeed, boiling IS a lot less of a hassle. But it leaves the sculpey much more fragile than if you were to bake it. But, sometimes boiling is the only choice, especially when you've put it on top of plastic parts that would otherwise melt in an oven.

That's why I've since fallen in love with the aforementioned milliput. It's SO much more durable than sculpey. Like I said..it literally gets rock hard once set, and it sets by itself. And it's not too expensive either.

7. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

are there any brick-and-mortar craft stores that you can buy this milliput at?

8. Chaos Convoy

News Credits:
    I dunno. I had to buy mine online at www.micromark.com. Cuz Las Cruces sucks. They dun even have styrene at any shops here.

9. Apocalypse-Prime

I find it easier to bake because my parents feel a little safer with the boiling mostly because ive burnt my self boiling water many times and never with baking.

10. Paper Mariowned

Paper Mariowned Well-Known Member

Hmmm, true, true. Buuut I don't know how to work a stove, so I just boil it. Sad, eh

11. OmegaVPrimus

OmegaVPrimus Well-Known Member

Yeah if you want the best go with like a primer coat of Citadel spray, or air brush it.

12. Apocalypse-Prime

how should i boil it like can i just put it in or do i have to hold it up?