Customs: Scribin tools

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by whiskeytango, Jun 4, 2011.

1. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

What kind do you guys use for stryene? I can't seem to find anything and anyone di ask about it at hobby stores looks at me like I'm crazy when I ask

2. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

You mean like something to scribe it before cutting? I just use a regular old hobby knife.

3. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    scribing? You mean scoring? Isn't scribing carving letters into wood?

4. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ah I looked it up. There are styrene panels that come pre-scribed otherwise I'd say use a dremel and be very careful.

If you did mean scoring then yeah, a regular exacto or utility knife will do.

5. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I think he's talking about a scribe tool used to carve panel lines into styrene sheets. I've used a broken-tip hobby knife/X-Acto knife for this, but here is a better tool for you to use for this. You can use this with a metal ruler and draw out your scribe/panel lines, then hit it with the ruler and scribe tool to create custom panel lines in your styrene work.

Scribing Tool (squ10202) Squadron Miscellaneous Hand Tools

And just a heads up, I've ordered numerous times from these guys (styrene sheets, rods, paints, etc.) and everything has always been great with them. If I were you, I'd just order one and have it conveniently delivered. Some folks don't know the terminology used in this hobby at some hobby stores/shops. They should, but it's pretty much why I order online or research something before hitting a shop--and even then, when they ask if I need help, I say "nope, just looking" and continue to look until I find what I'm after. It's just easier than trying to explain something to someone who may or may not know what you're after.

6. Zildjian

Zildjian Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Could not agree more.

7. Slothboy

Slothboy Nick

I've got a Tamiya Scribing tool (I think it's their second version).

It creates beautiful lines, but due to the nature of the tool it's very hard to control. Perhaps that's just lack of practice on my part, but I'd say scribing curved lines is a near impossibility with the tool I've got. For straight, however, you couldn't get better. I hear for curved lines, or lines on a curved surface then a needle is the way to go.
    Does anyone know if Tamiya create different widths for their scribing blades? It'd be nice to be able to scribe wider lines as well as thin ones.

8. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

You could also use that dentist tool. You know the one, the one where he scrapes plaque off your teeth with? I would think that would work for this.