screwed the system again

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by grimlock321, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I too would be honest in this type of situation. Honesty is the best policy.

2. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    I've thought about the honesty policy and used to do it. But after being in retail for so long, I've come to the conclusion that I really just don't care anymore.

And I really just blame the concept of "The customer is always right" Comapnies will give crap anay to people who don't deserve it so why even bother anymore.

Where I work, and have worked, the company will do anything to please the customer no matter how wrong they are. You can be a complete lying bastard but make a big enough stink and they will give in and offer you free stuff and whatnot. And who gets blamed, no one. The company just rolls with it to make everyone happy. For instance, just yesterday...

I had one of my cashiers reject a coupon because it expired on 4/30/07. They never asked me because it's well past the date. Well the guy ended up calling me later that day complining that he couldn't use the coupon and wondered why. I politely said that it expired and was now useless. Then he demanded to get the number for the corporate HQ because he can use an expired coupon at the local grocery stores and whatnot. I simply told him that we are not Jewel and we are not taking the expired coupon. if we didn't want them to expire, we wouldn't put an expiration date on it.

But I bet next week's paycheck that the company will send him some stupid "sorry" gift and condone his complete idiocy.

3. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Leader Blackout LIVES!!!

News Credits:
    Wreckgar, I hear you. I manage for a major hotel company, and we are between a rock and a hard place when it comes to "the customer is always right", because they are not. I have dealt with major dishonesty, been cursed out, threatened, yada yada yada. But, it has actually caused me to be more honest due to the fact that I see what jerks some people can be, how hard they can lie, and I want to be as unlike them as possible. I don't want to come across as a jack*ss, and, yeah, it probably cost me in some regards in that I don't "get away" with stuff as much as those type of people. But my dignity and self pride are more worth it.

But, I agree, when you work in retail/customer service, you see the underbelly of society and scam artists, and general dishonest, rude, disgusting people.

4. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    I couldn't agree more. I'm sorry, but every time I see threads like this, I see these same kinda comments. I'm with Wreckgar, I gave up on being nice and caring. I once told a waitress that she gave me back too much change(to the point that she gave me more change than I paid her originally). I was yelled at. I've asked cashier if they've gotten all my items, because the total seemed low, and been scowled at and ridiculed. These are just a few of the things I've done trying to "do the right thing". I f'ing give up.

Now, the other side. What do these stores do when they make the mistake? Make you bend over backward, jump through hoops and waste my time, because THEY f'ed up. No sir, I'm sorry, they've cheated people like me out of enough money because I won't stand in line for 20 minutes to get my $2 sales adjustment and just get pissed and leave that when their conceited cashiers and managers "don't make mistakes" and it's to my advantage. I just smile and walk away. You can only try so much. Sorry if this makes me a bad person. I try.

5. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

Im sure I would have taken the toy and ran as well. Hey, not my problem and I have worked in retail enough to know that girl is most likely still there. She probably, if they even caught it, got written up is all.

On June 2nd my wal mart had all the voyagers advertised in the isle with the big 9.96 sign and you bet your ass I got them for that price. I know they are 19.96, but hey they had them advertised at 9.96. They even LEFT them at 9.96 until the next saturday! Im sure I should have been honest right? Hell NO.

6. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Thats a different situation. They have a product advertised for a price.

The fact that you acknowledge that an employee could be written up for something, and you say fuck it, not my problem, speaks highly of your character I'm afraid. I'm not calling you a bad person, but I am saying that I would avoid Junkion deals with you. There's a huge difference between finding a good deal and laughing your way out of the parking lot knowing full well that you just took advantage of in individual. It's situations like these that make me realize that capitalism will be the death of this country, because there's no doubt in my mind that most people would do the same thing in your shoes.

7. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I screwed the system, but I used prophylactics.

8. GogDog

News Credits:
    Better safe than sorry, that's what I always say.

9. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Congrats on your Blackout.

10. Optimus Heckster

Optimus Heckster Well-Known Member

Bad math is the right of all sentient beings...

Too bad it makes you look like a d-bag on the interweb. :( 

11. Prozak

Prozak Well-Known Member

Capitalism will be the death of the country because some people take advantages of mistakes in a retail store? Wow talk about an over exageration, just wow. I'm sorry, but that statement is completely ridiculous.

Capitalism is the reason the United States does so well. You should worry more about companies like Enron than somebody taking advantage of a retail store for a few dollars, but if you look at history there have always been good people and bad people. For the most part the United States has done a decent enough job of correcting itself, but things will never be perfect, if they were it wouldn't be called life.

12. GogDog

News Credits:
    I have no intention of riding my high-horse off into the sunset, and I don't claim that i am any better of a person than anyone else on these boards. I will just elaborate on my statement.

I do not feel like I was exaggerating all that much. We as a nation are becoming more and more greedy and selfish every year. Our obesity level is rising, and the types of jobs we will perform are getting smaller and smaller.

A few years ago, people would have actually put some thought into what they wanted to buy, and if they decided they wanted it, they would buy it. Now, the board is full of people who who by a toy. They don't read the instructions and end up breaking it (Bumblebee anyone?), and then they take it back and say that they don't want it any more. Thats a general statement, but it reflects our level of self-responsibility as a people. We want what we want, and if we don't get it, we throw a temper tantrum. Instead of saving money for something, we try to swindle retail stores out of a few bucks.

In the big picture, that single act is not all that meaningful, but this attitude is growing heavily in our culture, and instead of teaching our youth to take responsibility for their actions and treat their fellow man with honor and respect, it's all about em me me, give me what I want and I could give two shits about anyone else. It's no the act, its that attitude behind it.

Other countries are looking at us like a bunch of fat, lazy, conceited morons that only care about money. Why? Because its true.

Like I said, i am not claiming to be better than anyone else here, and I am just a fuck-up like the next guy. But it's kinds disheartening to see people actually bragging about ripping people off and "screwing the system" over.

I don't want this to turn into a political thread, so I'll drop drop it. That's my two cents.

13. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Too true.

14. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    yeah, I am not getting into a political debate either. I enjoy and support the transformer's community, of which I am a part. But look at what Gogdog is saying; it is true. Why would someone be so happy about screwing over another person (well, take math into account and he really came out even, but just that he thought he did)? What does that say about our society?

As for the rest of Gogdog's statement, of which some is off topic but sincere, I agree with most. For instance, look at the stereotype "Toy"collector's have, whether Star Wars or Tfs, or any other kind, what do you think a lot of people automatically think? Lazy, fat, self-obsessed nerds who collect toys. WRONG. We are all living proof that stereotypes can be broken. I am not talking about weight persae, but greed/gluttony/selfishness/etc. The people I have met on here are artistic, creative, inspired, healthy, normal guys and girls ( ;)  SammiWCP/Alphie) who lead active lifestyles, have social lives, and are productive members of society. But I think Gog meant our society as a whole; I THINK the point Gog was trying to make is that if we as Americans continue our trend of playing to the stereotypes that other, nations have of us, then we will continue our slow decent. Remember, most civilizations only last for a couple hundred years, and we are getting closer and closer to year 300. But it is the good people I have meet on here, Superquad, Asderiphel, Buttheadimus Prime, Codimus, Rodimus, etc. etc. that allow our society to buck the trend.

This board, hell, this community is a microcosm of our society, and in instances where people take delight in screwing over other people then it shows the dangers and the direction our society could continue to flow...that was his point.

"No, we have no response; that answer was perfect"

15. GogDog

News Credits:
    Well said, and yes, I think you understood exactly what I was trying to say. I was being very general.

16. Prozak

Prozak Well-Known Member

ok Gogdog, you're statements this time around make a little more sense, but I don't entirely agree. First of all, the rest of the world hates the United States because we are too nosy, we think we can police the world. They aren't mad at us because we are rich and fat, they are mad at us because we can't mind our own buisness.

Second thing is that a bulging waist line is a trend happening around the world, well in rich countries that is, but it was started in the United States.

And lastly, I think to a certain extent, this thread itself proves you completely wrong about the attitude of the United States. Why? Because we have more people condemning the act than we do supporting it. There have always been greedy people in the world, and they will always exist that's a fact. So to have someone on the boards come on here bragging about it means absolutely nothing because the internet is widely available.

Now if the majority of the board supported this guy, then I would say yes we have a problem. Instead most of the board members condemn the act, so why concentrate so much energy into the bad when there is more good?

Also, from what I've read, those who support his act feel jaded because they've tried doing the right thing and come out losing, and I don't mean losing financially. So there motivations aren't greed and selfishness.

If most of the board members here supported his acts, then I would say there is a problem, but that's far from the case. The majority here are still honest and instead of looking at one bad apple and saying the tree is going bad, you should look at all the good ones still left that outnumber the bad ones.

Sorry but your view is overly pessimistic, I hope you can see that.

17. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    GogDog - I agree with your "kinda disheartening to see people bragging about ripping people and screwing the system over.

18. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    Uh Oh...politics....Let's not turn this into a debate on the war, please!