screw my stupid PS3 connection! HELP

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by transformervic1, Jul 28, 2012.

1. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    whether it's COD or WFC i always lag and have 1 red bar even though my signal on the ps3 says 100%. I tried hooking it up to the router by ethernet. Didn't work. Could it be that the other 3 computers in my house could be interfering? because when no one's up yet i go online and my connection is perfect but when someone gets on their computer(dad, mom, or sister) it totally just fucks it up. idk what to do about it. is there ANYTHING i can do? nothing on the web or google seems to suggest this directly.

2. UnicronHound

UnicronHound Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have no help for you, but the same thing happens to me, i'm thinking about upgrading my router because of it. We now have two full PCs hooked through the router(directly, can't have it hooked up any other way), a Laptop, and the "smartphones" are feeding off the wifi signal. So as long as no one else is online I have a great connection, or when only one person is on I have a decent connection, not great, but as soon as everyone else is on I have to shut down my game. It doesn't really affect my Netflix, or PS3 non-game online functions, though. It sucks, I'l be in the middle of kicking someones ass then whoops, lost connection, or I just stand still while the person beats my ass. One odd thing about it though is the fact that the older CoD games aren't affected as much by it(yeah it drops to 2/3 bars), but the new one MW3 is terrible with it, drops straight to a one bar.

3. magmatron

magmatron Hyper Sentinel Force!

News Credits:
    Most devs seems to have expected that the majority of the population upgraded their connection the last few years and so build their online infrastructure accordingly, instead of finding more efficient ways to run it.

As for the OP, only suggestion I have for you is to connect the the PS3 via the Ethernet and either lock the wifi connection with a new password or just shut it off temporarily until you finish you gaming session.

4. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

Sounds to me like you need to upgrade your Speed if its a common issue. Another thing that can help is setting all your devices that leech your connection to there own static IP.

5. biscuits

biscuits Sin from Genesis

Whilst playing, it helps to turn of the internet connection on other devices.

6. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:

how could i upgrade my router?

I do that and my dad will kill me.

7. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Gagga blagh blagh

News Credits:
    By purchasing a newer, better one.

8. Savanna

Router doesn't fix Net Speed. Net Speed you have to upgrade thru your provider and pay more. Yours sounds like a pretty weak and low speed connection.

9. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    how do i do this option???

10. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Everything is going through the same pipe and choking it up.

Call your cable provider and see if they can hit a few buttons for you.

11. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    turns out the problem was my dad. before i had like 400-600 ping and very low download speeds when he was downloading like 40 torrents! now he's not downloading anything and the ping is like 34ms!

12. Savanna

Should tell your dad you don't need 40 different pr0ns at one time, when just one good one will do and not suck your net down to the depths of hell.

13. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    aaaaaand he's at it again :(  my dad never listens to reason because he's a quite bit selfish and doesn't care if he's ruining other people's time for his expense. Is there ANY way i can make my connection for my ps3 good while he's downloading torrents? anything i can do with the router? I seriously need help because i can't have this. the lag is just horrible!

14. BooyakaDragon

BooyakaDragon I Don't Even Know

News Credits:
    What you are experiencing is COMPLETELY normal. This happens to everyone, including me. Until you turn off all internet devices, they're is nothing you can do, no matter the router.

15. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    what about bandwidth control?

16. blackTtop

blackTtop No this is not Patrick...

How much does your dad know about computers? For example, could he change any settings you switch back to what they were? Reason I'm asking is there might be a way to restrict him to a few ports on the router. If you want to read more here. But I've never had this problem so I can't speak from experience.

17. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

Actually its pretty simple. If their are other devices on the internet and you only have brand X speed then that device and the ps3 use half and half. Well when you have 2 on and your ps3 well it has to split it 3 ways and ect. Yes it DOES help to have a faster internet connection to be able to do more but you won't lag with a faster speed but if you get that faster speed and you put MORE devices on just like the brand X speed from before then your right back at the drawing board need more speed. Plus ungrading your router is only going to cost you money and if you are willing to shell out for a fiber optic line which is mega money. Then I would just get the fastest speed you can afford on what connection you have already and skip buying a new router unless you just want to upgrade cause a router is NOT going to help your speed none at all. The MORE you put on your internet the less speed you have for your PS3 so its thats simple. Also its good to NOT have ANY computers or devices turned on when you are on your PS3 connection but if you do then just only have 1 other and your PS3 so it halfs the speed. Hope this helps you out abit with what I am trying to explain. Also make sure that NO ONE knows your wifi Pswd either so that neighbors or others around you can steal your connection so keep your pswd very diffucult to try and get to keep neigbors and others off your connection. And yes as I read torrents will take more speed too and you can get into your router if you know the digits or the IP address of the router.

18. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    ^ i need to know if you can configure a router to make both connections co-exist without shutting the other off, because that's not an option.

19. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

You can try setting a different connection type in whatever torrent client your father is using. Choose a connection type that is worse than the one your actualy using.

That way the torrent client will limit itself in taking a smaller chunk of the bandwidth. The deal with this is that the download speed for your dad's torrents will go down and he might notice that. If he's tech savvy, he'll check the torrent client, if not, he might call the ISP.

Considering that he has a whole lot of torrents downloading and that torrent speed is not a constant, it might take a long time for him to actualy suspect anything is out of order.

My :2c: 

20. Zathras

Zathras Vive le Quebec Libre

In router settings there is a way to configure what is called QOS (Quality of service). Meaning you can give priority to certain devices on the use of the bandwidth.

So you could give a higher priority to the PS3 and less to the PC your dad uses. Shouldnt slow down the torrents too much so everybody will be happy