Screw it

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ktulu, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Do any of the rest of you sometimes type out a full paragraph or more, with multiple edits, in response to a thread on this or any other message board only to think just before hitting "reply" that your opinion absolutely doesn't matter and is basically useless, thus leading you to just say "screw it", delete what you typed and abandon taking part in the thread at all? It happens to me all the time. I'm just wondering if it's common, and if so, what your thoughts are about it.

2. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

No, of course not. In fact, whenever I think that, I simply double the amount of words I've already typed, further bury my point in irrelevant double talk, and then frantically hit "Post Reply" in a futile effort to have the last word.

3. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

I do that all the time. Thats why my post count is so low :p 

But whats even worse it typing afew paragraphs out, going through spell check, ect... then you hit post reply and an error occurs and your message gets deleted.

4. Streck

Streck <B><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">QED</B></FONT> Veteran

Miss N&P much?

5. Lazerbeak

Lazerbeak Keronian Ambassador

Happens to me about 85% of the time. What I end up doing is writing a whole paragraph, proofreading it, making sure it's well-written, then going "screw it" and just not posting it at all. My post count would be a lot higher if I'd have actually posted all the things I changed my mind about.

In fact, it almost happened with this post.

6. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Yes.

7. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah I do that all the time actually haha

8. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Only when I get to drinkin'.

9. butz

butz slippery when wet

Yeah I do that all the time. I typed up this brilliant, 8 paragraph response to this very thread. Then, before hitting "post quick reply", I realized that my response had absolutely nothing to do with what was being discussed in the thread (first 5 paragraphs were an anecdote of me finding change on the on sidewalk, while the remaining ones were just me randomly listing stuff I see in the room around me- "lamp", "monitor" ,"bottle", etc.).

10. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    yes. basically idiotic threads where halfway thru my intended post i go "nope, too much idiot already."

11. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    All the time

12. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

My posts seldom reach paragraph size in the first place....

13. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

I don't do it as often here, but I do do it once in awhile. I tend to do it more on Gamefaqs, which seems to be populated by 11 year olds that wouldn't care about my opinion even if I were screaming it at them on the street.

Ha. I just thought about doing it. We need a name for "it" otherwise it's going to start sounding dirty. How about "Self-Imposed Aborted Posting"? Or SIAP for those who like internet acronyms.

Give me feedback, or good lord give me feedback or else my strength I used not to SIAP was all for nothing.

^
    kidding

14. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Glad to know I'm not alone I guess. I half expected no one to reply at all :D 

15. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I'm just here for the punch and pie.

Btw, I had some other stuff typed up but I deleted it.

16. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

Nope. What does happen is that the board gets an error right as I post, so I lose my huge post that I just made and really don't feel like typing out again, so I just post a summary.

17. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

More were going to..but just said screw it and moved on to The Fuzzy.

And yeah, I do it quite a bit. That and what others mentioned, where I type it up only to get an error message when I hit reply, vaporizing the post.
    That's happened enough to the point where if I think about it, I'll copy the post so I can just go back and paste it in if that happens. If I don't copy it, I usually just say screw it and move on the The Fuzzy.

18. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Yeah, that happens to me for most of the posts on most of the message boards I go to.

The reasons that this happens are among the following (but not limited to them):

1. It's exceedingly obvious that nobody is listening. For example, I might post something about Batman on some comic book message board (see: my sig), and it'll be a nice, long, informative post. The next one will just be some user who just reiterates his point for the 10th time, and says, "So how do you deal with THAT?" I'm a firm believer in saying what you need to say, and when it's obvious that your words aren't going to be listened to, then I have better things to do with my time than argue with someone over a message board.

2. Maybe I typed something not-so-nice. Doesn't affect me too much either way, but I'd be happier knowing I didn't write a long death threat on some forum, like some 10-year-old kid, you know?

3. Maybe I typed something stupid.

19. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Much more often than I used to.

20. butz

butz slippery when wet

How bout this- I post something thinking I had typed out a halfway readable statement, but when I go back and re-read it after its been posted I notice I somehow left out several articles and pronouns. I could've sworn that i had typed them, yet somehow they're not there. Without them, the whole post loses it's context. I promptly go back and edit for fear of getting a boatload of "are you on drugs?" responses. Sometimes I just say "screw it" and leave the holes; nobody seems to notice when I do that.