Screw 2nd and Charles

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by excelhedge, Aug 8, 2016.

1. excelhedge

excelhedge Overseer of Weird

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

Just tried to sell the following to 2nd & Charles.

1 Mp-11 Skywarp
    1 SDCC Fall of Cybertron Bruticus
    1 SDCC DJ PON3 (Black) Vinyl Scratch
    1 SDCC Derpy
    1 SDCC Finn and Fionna 2 pack

2nd & Charles offered: $26

I took my stuff and left

Anyone had to put up with crud deals like that?

2. Crockett

Crockett natural bodybuilder

LOL! I've never tried to sell anything there, but I didn't figure they would pay much.

On the bright side, they usually do price things pretty reasonably. I've gotten a lot of good deals there.

3. AgentOrange

AgentOrange Primus Hates You

I'll give you $27 for it if you pay for shipping

4. Ninjanicktf

Ninjanicktf She's a killer, queen

My dad and I took a ton of stuff, like 3 old DVD plays that no longer work, my rusted scooter, a light that no longer works and an old lawnmower to a metal shop-and they only gave us twelve bucks.

5. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    you beat me to it

6. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Your cadaverous palor betrays an aura of forboding

I've sold some games and DVDs to 2nd & Charles a couple of times, and I've been really lowballed. They offer much more if you take store credit.

7. Kevin XI

Kevin XI Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I never heard of 2nd and Charles, but I took a Halo Reach collector's edition with the Noble Team statue and the intel package thingy, and a brand new unopened PS3 move controller to Movie Trading Co. they offered 20 bucks. My girlfriend and I took a couple bags of books and DVD's to Half Price Books, they offered like 6 bucks.

8. GoLion

GoLion Returning to lurker.

News Credits:
    I had contemplated selling to them in the past. They didn't offer me much either. I politely declined them.

Can I assume you're in VA, Op?

Edit: Wow, never mind. I had, incorrectly, assumed they were only in VA.

9. Yaujta

Yaujta NOT Randy Butternubs. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Their trade in offers are always crap. I have no idea why anyone would ever go there and hope to get anything even close to a decent price.
    Sure, they do have half decent prices on some other stuff, but I seriously dislike their practices.
    One time I saw a sealed Mastergrade Zoid near the toy area, so I asked if I could see it. The price was on it, and it was on a pile by the counter. They handed it to me to inspect, but another person came over and said it was being held for an employee. I had money in hand, the figure was out for sale, yet they were holding it for one of their own.
    Since then, I rarely ever go there.
    Admittedly I did get a few figures for awesome prices, like a minty G1 Shockwave with instructions for $20 and a BotCon Machine Wars Thrust for $10. Those deals are few and far between. Most of the time they have stuff marked at eBay prices, like TR deluxes for $22.

10. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Yeah! Screw Chuck!

wait.... who?

11. Domino

Domino Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    From what I've been able to piece together, it looks like they'll offer roughly 20-25% of an item's sale price in cash, and roughly 40-50% in store credit. So if you took in something that they'd turn around and sell for $100, they'll offer you (at most) around $25 in cash or around $50 in store credit. I don't know their exact formula, but the few times I've taken items in, that seems to be pretty close to what an item sells for later.

Like Yaujta said, though, I have managed to find some decent items cheap every once in a while. At one point someone took his/her collection of TF Animated figures in. They were loose, but had all parts and instructions. They were in immaculate condition, and I picked up quite a few of them at some great prices.

12. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Never heard of this place, but... wtf. That's ridiculous.

13. Big Bronze Rim

Big Bronze Rim ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I had to look up what this place even was. I can't imagine that anyone that knew that value of something would take their stuff there and expect them to be given something even resembling a good offer.

14. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron Great Again!

Never heard of this place. I had to Google it to see what kind of services they provide. Sounds like a Rasputin for... everything.

15. Primal_Grimlock

Primal_Grimlock Gone because someone had their cat declawed. Grr.

I suspect that they don't deal in speciality markets and therefore couldn't give you a representative value for the items. You'd have more luck selling on eBay.

16. GoLion

GoLion Returning to lurker.

News Credits:
    I think people just want to unload some of their stuff sometimes. They don't want to deal with ebay, so they'll go the local route. I've take a bit of a loss selling some good stuff just to be rid of it.

These guys are operating like a standard predatory business. Their whole model is based on the mantra of buying low and selling high. They're essentially a pawn shop. Just with more colorful stores.

17. Cracka J

Cracka J TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    lot of negative comments here based on one dude that got a bad offer. don't think that's entirely fair. these stores are actually a lot of fun and I think if any of you walked through there as a buyer and not a seller, you'd probably walk out with a small handful of fun finds.

being said, these places like 2nd & charles and half price books are resellers. much like pawn shops, they are there to buy at a discount and sell at a profit. that's just the nature of these things. take that same lot to any pawn shop and see what they offer, it would probably be around the same.

these places are not for sellers of collectible items that know an items worth. they are for people that get unloaded with items from friends or family having unfortunate circumstances or even passing, and having to deal with a lot of items that can't move in something like an estate sale. they will take it all in a lot, and give you a few bucks for it. that's just how they work.

so again like others have said, if you have the time to invest into selling them proper, then listing on ebay and waiting is the best route. or junkion here of course, but again you have to wait on that specific buyer instead of taking an upfront payout.

18. convoy84

convoy84 misses you like the deserts miss the rain.

News Credits:
    How's tree fiddy sound for the lot?

Plus shipping, of course.

19. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

God damn lock ness monster

20. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter