Fan Art: ScreenPrinting.. and what's involved.

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Moy, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    I want to do a screen print for DOTM, but do I need a large, high rez file? anyone can help would be awesome..

2. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yes and a lot of money. Screen prints need minimum orders. There is digital prints now that are tons better and sharper quality. Though you probably shouldn't make t-shirts out of copyrighted and trademarked material.

3. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Expensive? And needs needs to be high rez huh...hmm.

Maybe Iron-on would be a better Idea..

I know it's a copyright issue but I'm not making profit off it, it's only for personal use, once. The screen printing place might actually not want to do it since it may involve copyright.

4. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You could always try places like Ka-blam. Worst they can do is say no. Their prices are pretty good too and they do the new digital printing.

5. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Thanks!

6. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I had a project when I was back in school where I drew something and had it put on a shirt through iron-on. Mind you, I drew it myself, and had nothing to do with any character or name that's trademarked or copyright.

Anyway. General rule of thumb for printing is to print it at 300 dpi. For reference, any picture you see on the web is going to be set at 72 dpi.

Also, don't forget that color setting are different too. Where web images are set at RGB for computer monitors and tvs, printers use CMYK.

A couple basics from a guy who dropped out of a Graphic Design course.

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    When I was a kid (12 I think?), I have a few of my designs screen printed on shirts to sell. What Fishdirt says above is correct. If you decide to go the way of screen printing, either you (the artist) or someone in house will have to color separate the illustration. More colors = more expense.

If you're wanting to do something for yourself, I'd recommend the iron-on (you can get iron-on kits for your home pc printer) or even using printmaking techniques to stamp your design on your own t-shirts.

Also, others have have touched on the originality of your design that sees print. Making a shirt for yourself and not having others involved you have to pay (for the most part) is cool. Trying to screen print a Transformers design on shirts you plan to sell could get you in a lot of trouble.

8. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    300 dpi still holds true but with the advent of more and more digital print shops cmyk is sometimes not wanted. RGB works with digital print machines calibrations. Offset printing still requires cmyk.

Screenprinting at a shirt shop they can usually adjust for the colors and such. I did bring in a drawing on a disc for a shirt design that was 600 dpi. This allows for room for adjustment on shirt placement.

9. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Thanks, I printed some in b/w and they look great!! I can't wait to put them on the transfer sheets in color, it will be epic.

Yes! I will actually shop around for 11x17 sheets of transfer paper, hopefully Laser printing capable.
    I can't wait, it will be awesome since I found out how expensive screenprinting is..:thumbdown