Customs: Scratchbuilding questions

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by SwitchPrime, Mar 24, 2010.

1. SwitchPrime

SwitchPrime Wrecker

Ebay:
    I have model plane and I want to make it into a transformer. I dont want to ruin the model so im afraid of just jumping in, so what should I do? Are there any websites I can look at or tutorials here I should read? Thanks by the way.

2. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

For most scratchbuilds and reshells I have seen, people used two of the model so that you have room to shave parts down to make a perfect fit, too much plastic gets destroyed in the process usually. It's not impossible to use one model, but for a first time I would use two in case of screw ups.

Second, planes are hard to make into convincing transformers. Look at any transformer that is a plane. Usually there is a lot of areas that would never show up on a real plane. Take Classics Starscream for example, from the top he looks like a jet, from the bottom, not so much. Model planes don't take this into account and are made to look good from all angles, leaving not much room to work with.

Just some things to keep in mind.