Heavy/Scratch: Scratchbuilding a Flamethrower (Complete)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Treadshot A1, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Just thought i'd post the end result of my flamethrower project. After some help from Radicons GD, i put together this baby for my 1/144 Tieren (though it can be used on any other figure i so choose, be it TF/Gundam/etc.).

It's built from some styrene tubing and sheets, with a joint i cannibalized from SD Exia. The way i made the cable is a secret.

[​IMG]

I should be getting a hot glue gun in the future to make the flame effect as per a tutorial i saw (which i can't locate in Radicons Tutorials anymore...).

Attached Files:

2. Anti-Venom

Anti-Venom Well-Known Member

Sweet flamethrower man!

3. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    does it work :D 

*insert evil smiley*

4. Treadshot A1

^Dude, trust me, if I could, I would. But for the time being, it's just for display purposes. No actual fire. Yet.

I will probably build a diorama for this thing, just figuring out the final details.

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think once you slap some weathering on the parts, they'll be top notch; your builds look really great :thumb 

6. Treadshot A1

Hey thanks SQ7, that means a lot. Actually, i will be weathering it, but i think this time i want to try something different. You see, i've just bought the materials for a diorama for this kit, and i was thinking to use some of the fake sand/gravel for weathering instead of my usual drybrushing.

Oh, and literally 5 minutes ago i finished making my first hot glue pyro fx effects piece. When it's painted, i'll post it here.

7. Treadshot A1

Don't you just love the smell of burnt flesh in the morning?

Coz i sure don't. But that ain't no excuse for not putting fire in yo' flamethrower!

You guys know what $17 bucks and a copper rod gets you? If you don't, i highly recommend you check out this tutorial: Hot Glue Pyro-FX I went out to my local Bunnings, got myself a lovely new Ozito Hot Glue Gun w/Glue Sticks today, raided my existing supplies, and voila! Instant fire.

As a matter of fact, it also burns your fingers too. Trust me. It really burns, follow those safety instructions on you glue gun!

And I thought i'd throw in a sneak peak of the little Diorama i'm building for it (WIP) as well, courtesy of this tutorial i found on teh interwebz: Diorama Finally i can appreciate my dad's ability to go through cereal like a Snorlax through Pokeblock.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. pikaprime12511

pikaprime12511 Well-Known Member

im guessin ur a fellow pokefan too huh? lol

9. Treadshot A1

Yep. Pokemon!!! Snorlax!!! LOL

10. kryptofred

kryptofred super-con

Ebay:
    I'm alittle disapointed that you didn't acctually build a flamethrower but your work is really cool. and the link is great, I've been working on something that could use this exact addition, so thanks man!

BTW did you use colored glue or did you paint it? do you think colored glue would work better? or the same?

11. Treadshot A1

Kryptofred, thanks for the nice remarks.

Personally, i went with the cheaper option and just used clear glue, then painted it with clear yellow and orange (no red because red doesn't look very realistic contrary to popular belief). I suppose you could try colored glue, though i prefer paint because the colour darkens in the crevasses the glue naturally creates, so its like an automatic panel lining.

just be sure to keep water close by. Not just for when you burn yourself (hopefully not!), but also because you can dip the glue in the water for quick cooling while you're working it into shape.