Customs: Scratch Building Questions

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Shadowbreaker, May 21, 2010.

1. Shadowbreaker

Shadowbreaker \/ /\

News Credits:
    Ok, I'm a total :noob  customizer, and I got some questions about the art that is Heavy Modding/ Scratch Building.

When I ask questions, I always have a dumb one.... These all might be dumb.. But hey, I'm a HUGE :noob 

1: What is styrene, and can it be bought at Hobby Shops? (I'm assuming it can)

2: When making, for example, a chestplate made of styrene, and you want to attach it to a toy's chest; What would you use to attach it? Sculpting Putty fusion? Super Glue?

2 1/2: What would you use to cut styrene? (I have a general idea, but I want to be sure)

3: Is their any better sculpting better than Mighty Putty available at retail?

4: Speaking of Mighty Putty, how's the quality of it? I've heard that "It's terrible!" and that "It's Great!", and I want to know if it is good for scratch building.

5: When sculpting, what do you use to sculpt? A sculpting knife of some sort, I assume?

I have general ideas for some answers, but I want to be %100 sure.

I appreciate any of your answers and help. I don't even know if I'll ever do scratch builds in my life.... Also, please forgive me if any of these answers would be in the Tutorials Section. I've been everywhere in there, but I've could've missed somethings.

Thanks!

--Shadowbreaker

2. Anti-Venom

Anti-Venom Well-Known Member

1. Styrene is plastic that is available in thin sheets, and yes hobby stores carry it.

2. People around here use different kind of epoxy and glues to attach the styrene to their work. Im working on a project and am going to use locktite glue for my sticking needs.

Styrene can be cut with sharp box cutters, x-acto knives or other types of hobby knife.

3. I don't know.

4. Depends on what your needs are. Mighty putty can be good for attaching pieces to your figures but its not good for things like head sculpting.

5. There are a bunch of different tools you can use.

Ive only used an x-acto knife so I dont know to much about the other stuff.

Hope it helps.
    -Anti-Venom

3. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I quoted your original post and answered each question in RED above.

Good luck and I hope you do try out some scratchbuilding sometime. I never thought I could do it and now I feel very confident in my building skills (I've done heads, chests, and legs mostly, but heads are my specialty--I take existing heads and use some cutting with my dremel mixed with some styrene pieces to create a new head--mostly G1-styled usually).

4. Shadowbreaker

Shadowbreaker \/ /\

News Credits:
    Thanks to you both.

I haven't really checked my local Hobby Shop for putty, I only ever got paint there before.

I can't wait to start my Scratchbuilds!