Customs: Scratch building Ion cannon for Classics Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by RodimusDawg, Dec 10, 2008.

1. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey fellow KB's.

I was wondering if anyone has attempted or thought out making a proper looking G1 ion cannon for classics Optimus?

The first place I can think of starting would be using the G1 cannon it's self and building off it or casting it in the expanding mold solution and making it a bit bigger.

Anyone else having any thoughts or suggestions?

2. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    I had thought of creating one from scratch,but molding and casting the G1 cannon in Hydrospan is a pretty good idea.

3. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I... wouldn't know where to start for parts to make one. But surely, if someone does, let me know. Because I would make one in an instant.

4. Overhaulimus

News Credits:
    I did a price check on Hydrospan,for 3 quarts it's $69.99.

I'd be willing to place and order and cast off some for Classics Prime,if there was an interest.

5. aurascope

aurascope Kitbash Resource Indexer

Ebay:
  6. Overhaulimus

News Credits:
    Anyone got a size comparison of the pegs?

7. RodimusDawg

News Credits:
    After a bit of researching I think the best bet would be to get a G1 Optimus Prime cannon and work from there.

The regular skinny version I think is well.....too skinny. So after stumbling through the net looking for G1 parts and accessories I came across the Bloated G1 ion cannon. Which I believe would be an ideal starting point for this.

Here is a picture of the different two. Pic credit to Transrepro.com

[​IMG]

Along with it being a bit beefier there isn't much of a gap present between the front and back section of the cannon. I hope that with a little bashing and cutting this could turn into what I have been looking for. I would also switch the trigger handle and the post's places.

8. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

It may be too late for you to find one, but I gave my Classics Prime a rifle from one of those oversized LOC knockoffs. I think it was a giant Cybertron Hot Shot, but damned if it didn't come with a just-the-right-size version of Prime's rifle. I think I had to sand down the grip a bit and putty in some holes where they used a cheap mold with cut-outs, but the finished product looks pretty good. I'd probably be willing to loan it to one of the repro parts guys as long as I got it back in one piece (or at the very least a good copy of it).

9. Napjr

Napjr <b><font color=gold>Mr. Internet</font><br><font c Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    try to get either the oversized Robotmaster Convoy or the downsized MP Prime, both are voyager sized and they come with similiar Rifles based on the original figures

10. returnofplex

returnofplex Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    There was a series of "dollar store" Optimus Prime KO's that came with an ion cannon that was very interesting. It had a peg on the back that fir perfectly into G1 Prime's hand, or another handle that with a little shaving fits perfectly into a classics voyager. Here's a couple of pics of the rifle being held by the peg and the shaved down handle.
    http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd11/returnofplex/opsidebysideturned.jpg

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd11/returnofplex/kolaserprimerepaintnetreadyforposti.jpg

11. rpetras

rpetras Well-Known Member

I bought a dollar store KO prime for his gun & axe.

I had to fill manufacturing holes on 1/2 the gun since it was a simple cheap piece, but it only ran me a buck for that, a decent prime head and an LED I can use.

12. RodimusDawg

News Credits:

When and where did you guys pick these up? I would try a big lots but the nearest on is almost an hour away, and the chance of going and it being a bust isn't worth the gas even with today prices being low again.

13. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I picked up quite a few of them many months ago. Alas, they've came and went here, though.

14. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What about casting MP/Anniversary Prime's gun in Hydroshrink and resculpt the handle to a peg like on Classic Prime's two weapons?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Overhaulimus

News Credits:
    You could do that Optimist Prime,though at this point I think it is cheaper to get a G1 Rifle or a RM rifle.

16. RodimusDawg

News Credits:
    I will to look into this. I know the expanding and shrinking resin is pricey but maybe make more than one and sell them. But lowered prices for my radiconian pals of course.:thumbs2: 

And this on the other hand is the route I wanna take but just finding one to begin with or even a KO one at a decent size is impossible to find.:cry