Minor/Repaint: Scrapper: Constructicon 2 of 6

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Jbarb78, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Jbarb78

Jbarb78 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Next up, we have Scrapper. I like this particular mold, it just looks cool. Even without the green and purple color scheme, it would look cool.

I started with a Krylon Fusion Ultra Flat Black base, then airbrushed several different hues of green and purple. I used the different colors strategically, to create a worn and weathered effect. I also used a little drybrushing here and there, following Frenzy_Rumble's tutorial since I had never done it before. Afterwards, he was coated in Testors Dullcote lacquer and reassembled. Water slide decals were provided by Boggs6ft7.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 030.JPG
      030.JPG
      File size:
      118 KB
      Views:
  2. kaos

kaos the original thirteen

nice paint work...never thought painting a bot to look dirty could look so good...looks pretty good for your first/second time..F_R is the man when it comes to this radicon/kitbashing stuff....BIG UPS:thumbs2: 

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  3. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

SICK! That steel LOOKS like steel man! Really clean too, awesome!

4. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

A better use of Movie Grindcore than Movie Grindcore for certain. Seriously, what was up with the 'Structy colours repaint front-end loader guy as an Autobot? Wasted opportunity. And the Cybertron Landmine mold has one of the best robot-mode uses of the shovel I've ever seen: Arm-mounted shields.

5. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Okay, first let me say that this is a nice job. Good paint apps. Looks great.

But somebody put a new head on this figure already!!

Why is it after so many, many, many versions of the old Ptitvitevastator, a design that is deeply respectful of the design of G1 Devastator... NOBODY ever seems to bother changing up the heads on these guys to make them more G1 accurate??

This head just isn't, and will never be, Scrapper to me. Not so much directed at you, but just a general observation about these types of projects. ;) 

zmog

6. jetfire4321

jetfire4321 Banned

um.. doesnt spraper have mouth plate thingie like g1 optimus

7. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

Finding heads that are suitable are rather difficult gentlemen and it can get expensive hunting figures down just for their heads. Geez, sometimes I really wish I could sculpt heads! Again JBarb, kick a$$ job man!

8. Jbarb78

Ebay:
    Thanks!

Thanks man, I was pretty happy with the steel dry brushing too, wasnt sure going into it but I like the end result.

Amen man, this is a cool mold, I've even thought of just doing a custom using this figure by itself.

The tought part about replacing the heads is locating one that not only looks close to what you're trying to achieve, but will fit the figure you're changing. And the goal of this particular project was never to be G1 in the first place, the inspiration of this Devastator came from what I believe is IDW Comic's version. The only heads I had originally planned to, and actually completed, were Mixmaster and Devy himself. Next time, now that I've got a little sculpting under my belt, you'll see some new heads.

In the G1 cartoons, he did have the mouth plate.

That is correct my man. Like I said above, they arent easy to find or easy to adapt. It is doable, and if it was part my original scope for this project, it would've been done.

9. SMOG

Look, not to be an ass about it, because this is a very nice repaint, and you're hardly the first person to leave the head on this figure... :) 

But I think you're being disingenuous when you say that this project was "never meant to be G1". I don't know how different your Devastator will be to the standard, but it's pretty clear that the originator of this project, Ptitvite, was definitely making a G1-style Devastator. The IDW Constructicons? Also G1, right down to the basic head designs.

I know that customizing/sculpting heads is tricky, and I know they aren't easy to come by... but this is kitbashing, and this is already a pretty epic project. Despite the tremendous lengths so many bashers have gone to achieve a Devastator team like this, it always boggles my mind that so many don't bother to go that one extra step and do the heads up G1-style. It just seems like a really weird place to draw the line... that's all.

Anyway, can't wait to see the big guy all together! :thumbs2: 

zmog

10. Jbarb78

Ebay:
    I hear what you're sayin, and I had thought about doing them all, it just wasnt much of a priority for me. My main focus was Devy himself, and Mixmaster who had to be scratch built anyway, and making them both something unlike anybody else's. I noticed the same thing you did about all the heads not being changed, I figured nobody really cared. Next time I'll go the extra mile, since now I know somebody else wants to see it.

11. SMOG

Heh... I never figured that I was a lone voice in the wilderness on that topic. I do know that I'm probably a little more purist about some things, but I always thought that G1 heads would be an obvious crowning glory to a great G1-themed project. :) 

zmog

12. zfeakye

zfeakye Starscreaming Slut

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    great job again on the scrapper!
    Yes, the head is a wee bit non-G1....i'm customising the scrapper head for my upcoming second devastator(constructicons)!

13. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

I'm with smog on this one. I always found it strange that people put in so much work on a Devastator, only to not put in the comparatively small extra effort to make the Constructicons heads better. ESPECIALLY with all the scratch building that went into this particular Devastator.

Also, just to throw this out there, I think you're basing it off of Dreamwaves Devastator, not IDW's. In Devastators IDW appearance, his forearms are made of Scavenger and Bonecrushers treads, he doesn't have the visor, and he doesn't have the chest shield.

Really looking forward to seeing this finished. This isn't a knock to the other Devastators that have been made, but its nice to see someone go above and beyond on most of the aspects of this tried and true custom.

14. Jbarb78

Ebay:
    Dreamwave, thats it. I've been trying to find comics for reference pics for weeks, been looking for the wrong ones. There's only 2 that pop up on google searches, and they werent a whole lot to go by. Thanks man. I hope it doesnt disappoint.

15. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

No problem man. Just for reference, I'm attaching a picture of IDW's Devastator, as I think it would be really, really cool if someone did one like this.

... hint, hint

Attached Files:

16. SMOG

Yeah, I really like that Devvie too, especially the trick with the treads becoming the forearms. He also looks surprisingly good without the chest shield. Although I'm not very far along, that's the direction I've been wanting to go with my Voyager Devastator project.

zmog

17. sunnyboy

sunnyboy Member

do u hav larger or other view of this devastator....look real good!

18. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

Basically, he's G1 Devastator without any of the combiner kibble except the head, hands, and connectors. And his eyes are single instead of a visor, which is accurate to the original toy. (Though his eyes were like that in the cartoon half the time. They didn't settle on the visor until The Movie.)