Minor/Repaint: Scrapmetal Turmoil updated!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by REDLINE, Mar 31, 2006.

1. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I picked myself up an extra Scrapmetal today. I don't have the Rumbles, so I thought I'd try to dye myself a different Scrappy... I didn't want to paint him because there's too many places that rub when you transform him or pose him... and so I came up with the idea of a purple one!

I figured purple would look nice, plus if I managed to at some point get those rumbles, he'd compliment the others nicely. In order to disassemble him, it required that I pound out TEN pins, remove two screws, and THEN remove three rivets using a woodburner. I then took all the orangish-redish bits and dyed them in RIT's Royal Blue dye. The color of purple is perfect, except for one thing: its DARK. It looks like the purple on Chromia/Thunderblast, except its one-to-two shades darker. From a distance they look black. I tried using two diferent RIT products for brightening to no effect. :(  MM suggested I test the hidden part in his gun (trigger for the chip gimmick) in bleach. Does anyone else have some suggestions?

Andy

2. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I can't evcen find one.

3. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I'd give the bleach a shot. Or keep it black. I like black tfs...

4. REDLINE

News Credits:
    I guess I could do that... I'll have to snap a few pictures of the parts... if it stays dark, I'll have to come up with some silver paint aps or something else brighter to keep it from being too monotonous.

Andy

5. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Hmm. Black with silver apps would look cool...

6. REDLINE

News Credits:
    OK, I took a coupla pictures to show just how dark, yet purple it is *L*

Andy

7. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Wow that did come out DARK!

I wonder if you leave it in the bleech for longer than 10 minutes or maybe warm it up a bit.

8. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Red is a hard color to dye to any other color besides black.

Someone soaked an LOC Starscream in rubbing alcohol and he turned white. Maybe try just rubbing him with some of it to see what happens?

9. REDLINE

News Credits:
    turned it white? wow... well I rubbed one piece with a soaked swab and it did nothing.. guess I could try to soak it and see what happens...

Andy

10. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Did it turn it white or just remove the paint apps?

11. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i hope someone does a pink version and call her PMS arcee.

12. Sculpt-bot

Sculpt-bot So waddya want, a medal?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Andy, if none of the soaking tricks work, maybe try dry brushing some lighter purple highlights on the parts. Dry brushing usually doesn't leave a ton of paint to rub off during transformation, and a quick blast of sealant will ensure it doesn't wear off during handling. I've done this with a few black kits that I've done to make them look like they are actually dark grey. Dry brushing tends to look like "wear" but if you do it uniformly it can look like a solid color.

13. REDLINE

News Credits:
    I've decided to keep it. I may try that drybrushing technique on my other one though, it WOULD kick ass to have a purple one! and a green one too hehehe.. Anyway... here's his head... as you can see, I painted a face on it, it turns out it looks a lot like the beast wars decepticon logo... sweet! I need help picking out a colorscheme!! I want to keep the head and chest the same as I already have them, and also keep they dyed parts (anything that was orange originally) their dark color... so what to do with the rest?? the gun, the shoulderguard, the "belly" the lower legs(all 4) I've gotten several sweet name suggestions from RW, so I thought I'd start the poll for that too :) 

Andy

14. REDLINE

News Credits:
    OK... no feedback at all on colors :(  I'm glad people are voting, although I should say something about the someone who voted on the last choice... :lol  The poll clearly states on the last option that by choosing that last option, you think a different name than those listed should be used, and that you will post that name... but nobody did! Oh well, I'm not finished yet... Here's an update however, the body mostly reassembled... you can see the purple really good now even though it is still really dark.

[​IMG]

I'm thinking a lighter purple on the kneecaps, over the orange gun stripe, and on the lower arms, and then silver on the dark red aps... I'm going to try to paint some translucent blue over the cockpit since it won't take dye, nor lose its red. If you have a different scheme you think would look as good or better, by all means, tell me!!!

Andy

15. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Have you ever considered becoming a hand model? :p  And the Scrapmetal is looking good too!:thumb  Name the lil' bugger "WHIPLASH!"

16. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

How about Quiet Riot?

17. REDLINE

News Credits:
    LOL like the band, hu? hehehe I thought I'd post an update, though I won't take pictures till tomorrow... I've added the paint aps, and the gloss-coat is drying :D  I used "grape pearl" by model master as well as silver metallic, and also clear blue to do the translucent cockpit and sword. I'm thinking of one final paint ap, one that's not on the original, which is no big deal since I already did a little of that today. I was thinking since the cockpit "glass" is dark now, that I'd take the silver to the window panes to nicely separate them from the body of the cockpit. Any thoughts on this idea?

Andy

18. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    I say call him Throwdown. It fits perfectly with Rumble and Frenzy, since they are words for chaos...like Nkelsch's custom green G1-Rumble, Mayhem.

I miss Nkelsch's site. :cry 

19. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

I like that, Whiplash would be cool.

I found 4 over the last 3 weeks. 2 a few weeks ago, one last friday, and one today. I think that is enough, given I have 2 japanese yellow, 2 japanese blue, 1 japanese red, and the coby rumble.

Now I can just sit back and wait for the repaint, or for him to show up in Buy one get ones.

The next wave of basics should have him as 2 per case, so he will become alot more common soon.

20. REDLINE

News Credits:
    I have him nearly finished, just awaiting oppinions on whether or not to paint silver on the window panes of the cockpit, but here he is, fully reassembled and clear coated!!!!! I looked in the Thesaurus for some ideas, and I came up with a couple that I really like in addition to those already being thrown around: (in order of preference so far)

Turmoil
    Havok
    Fury
    Throwdown

I must say, that Mayhem is a KILLER name, and when I DO get to make a green one from a yellow rumble, I may just have to go with that! :)  I apologize for the picture quality, its a quick point-and-shoot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Andy