Minor/Repaint: Scraplets

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by iDarkDesign, Sep 6, 2012.

1. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    So I ordered two sets of Fakebuskers AWESOME Scraplets on Shapeways. After a week or so they arrived at my doorstep (There is a shapeways printshop quite near to me actually)

I ordered these in FUD (Frosted Ultra Detail) as I'm of the opinion that WSF (White Strong Flexible) is not suited to miniature work. It's too rough and doesn't blend in very nicely. Although the FUD material is a bit more expensive it's much easier on the eyes and easier to prep and paint. It's pretty durable too. I've not broken one yet!

[​IMG] This is how they arrive in a big box. You could ship 500 in the size box these get sent in!

[​IMG]
    One built. The cutting mat measures squares of 1cm. That's how small these are. The detail is amazing!

[​IMG]
    Here he is with some other Shapeways products. The ship is WSF and primed the hand is WSF as is. You can see that the material FUD is much smoother.

I gave the parts a nice soapy bath, gave them a good scrub with a toothbrush, air-dried them and gave them a pass with very fine sandpaper. Just to smooth some things down even better.

[​IMG]
    Here are all the parts prepped for primer.

I used Motip automotive grey primer from a can. I like the smooth but primed finish it gives. Let that dry for 24 hours and used my airbrush with Tamiya X-10 gunmetal for the bodies and heads. Then I gave the teeth a pass of Tamiya X-32 Titanium Silver. It's barely noticeable but I thought it was needed judging of of this picture:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I went on with the eyes. I recently bought a new Airbrush (Harder & Steenbeck Ultra) for Ultra fine work. It has a .2mm needle and I wanted to try this out on the eyes. I didn't mask off anything so all the Tamiya X-16 Purple on the skulls is my fault. I went back and gave it another gunmetal pass to fix most of it. I used a couple of drops of white in my purple to highlight the eyes. I need to practice this some more though.

[​IMG]

I will give the paint some time to cure and will seal it all with some Future Tomorrow. I need to prep a black wash too.

*edit*

I finished my scraplets! I think they look really cool. Some came out better than others but I'm overall very satisfied.

[​IMG]
    So cute!

[​IMG]
    NOM NOM NOM NOM!

[​IMG]
    Oh no! Scraplets have started eating my Bulkhead!

iDD

Attached Files:

2. LamboTwinLove

LamboTwinLove Lambo Assassin

CUTE! I've been thinking about getting some of these little guys but I'm set up to do the painting or anything.

3. autobot prowl

autobot prowl Well-Known Member

Looking good!

4. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

They look so cool. I might pick up a set and paint them up.

5. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    I finished my scraplets! I think they look really cool. Some came out better than others but I'm overall very satisfied.

[​IMG]
    So cute!

[​IMG]
    NOM NOM NOM NOM!

[​IMG]
    Oh no! Scraplets have started eating my Bulkhead!

@ Lambotwinlove. I've shot you a PM with an offer to paint them up for you.

iDD

6. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looks great!

7. fakebusker83

fakebusker83 Radicon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh my. You sure you want to leave your Bulk there? He'll be gone by morning :( 

The purple on the eyes is stunning, my man. I like the slight wash you did on the edge of the eyes as well. Great job!

Glad you put FUD to good use :) 

8. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    Thanks everyone!

Thanks! It was my first time to try with my new airbrush. It's not that difficult to achieve. I'm sure I can get better at it with some time. The wash gives the entire figure such a nice reveal. The detail you put in there is stunning. I made the 'joints' on the legs purple to give way to a little more cartoon accuracy.

FUD is the only way to fly :) 

iDD

9. Sinstroke

Sinstroke Snipercon 4 hire

Ebay:
    poor bulk head.... great work

10. kiienkYan

kiienkYan Well-Known Member

cute.. n scary...